Bullying By Larger Cat

hmelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently adopted a small female cat,Annie, shes 18 months approx and really small for her age, I have gradually been introducing her to the outside ( cat flap available , but not using it as yet) She is confident to go exploring for about 10 mins then she comes back to find me, which is fine, but I have noticed the last few days a huge cat that lives with a close neighbour has spotted Annie and chases her ferociously. luckily the door has been open on each occasion and she has managed to get inside. THis cat has got to be one of the largest cats Ive seen and I am concerned for Annies safety. Any advice please??

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be by her side when the big cat comes..............................................................

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I have done and do for mine. I have protected my boys from foxes, large dogs and a very large cat that Has threatened arnold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would be by her side when the big cat comes..............................................................
Yes...thats fine..at the moment..but when I'm at work etc and can't be there....

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes...thats fine..at the moment..but when I'm at work etc and can't be there....
In my experience, if a cat is discouraged to enter your yard, they wont be back for a long time. Also if the bullying cat sees you regularly outside with your cat and associates the sight of your cat with your presence, the bully will be more likely to stay away.

They seem to learn quickly. I havent seen the cat that tried to fight arnold for several months....he was here 2 times a week.

And times have changed.........for decades we thought nothing of simply opening the door and letting our cats run free. When they was ready, they came home. But we no longer do that, I am now aware of the great number of dangers outside (especially as I am now outside with them and see things I would not have otherwise known).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered simply making her an indoor cat only? She may be perfectly content to stay indoors where she is safe from other cats as well as cars and predators.

hmelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you considered simply making her an indoor cat only? She may be perfectly content to stay indoors where she is safe from other cats as well as cars and predators.
actually I hadnt thought of that, not sure if I would feel comfortable with her indoors all the time,, she would miss out on fresh air and sunshine,, and chasing bugs etc :-) Ill let her lead on that one,, and just let her come out with me into the garden,, until next summer,, when its warmer and more daylight,, . thank you for your nice words,, appreciated

hmelaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, if a cat is discouraged to enter your yard, they wont be back for a long time. Also if the bullying cat sees you regularly outside with your cat and associates the sight of your cat with your presence, the bully will be more likely to stay away.

They seem to learn quickly. I havent seen the cat that tried to fight arnold for several months....he was here 2 times a week.

And times have changed.........for decades we thought nothing of simply opening the door and letting our cats run free. When they was ready, they came home. But we no longer do that, I am now aware of the great number of dangers outside (especially as I am now outside with them and see things I would not have otherwise known).
Yes that makes a lot of sense actually,, I did " challenge " the cat ( by clapping my hands) whilst it remained sitting on the lawn,, it actually reared up hissing at me, which was quite scary. I will keep her inside unless Im going into the garden,, until next summer, then will see how things go.. THanks for your advice, much appreciated

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a "catio".

Its an enclosed outdoor area for your cat.

Google catio for ideas....its doesnt have to be fancy.