Bully Cat Abuses Dog

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a long term, on going issue for my household.  I'll try to keep it somewhat short; I'm sure I'll fail that.

I have a 4 cat, 1 dog house hold.  All cats are DSH and spayed/neutered, none are declawed.  The two eldest cats, Callista (female/spayed, 14 years old) and Jasio (male/neutered, 8 years old) were both established in my household before I adopted a senior dog (female/spayed, now 15 years old, medium sized mongrel of about 45 pounds) who is good with cats.  Callista is familiar with dogs and mostly disregards them unless they invade her personal space,  she then swats them, growls and goes up on to one her cat trees.

Jasio initially tolerated the dog, Kiska, just fine, even to the point where he would play with her.  After 3 years though we had an incident.  I'm not sure what the trigger was because I was napping on the couch but I awoke to Callista, Jasio and Xerxes (now deceased) absolutely wailing on the dog.  They actually had her knocked over and were just ripping into her.  I immediately started grabbing cats and putting them into carriers and crates so I could check the dog over.  After treating Kiska's wounds which were thankfully minor I had hoped that every one had enough time to cool off.  I started with letting Callista out of her crate.  She grumbled a little at the dog and went atop the tallest cat tree for a good grooming session. 

Then I let Xerxes out.  He went and sat on the couch and continued growling in the dog's direction for a good 5 minutes.  Once he had cooled off and started grooming himself I let Jasio out, who instantly went after the dog again in a screaming, howling rage. 

Once again all three had to go back into crates and I called the animal hospital for emergency doses of alprazolam (Xanax) to get us through the night until I could bring them in for exams the next day.

It should be noted that I had 2 foster kittens in the house at the time (one who failed and still lives with us).  It appears that at the time of the initial attack they were sleeping on the love seat, and they didn't move from their spot until well after all the other cats were drugged. 

I bathed the dog since she had rolled in the dirt during morning walks and I thought perhaps they were threatened by her smelling weird. 

The attacks continued, and I could not leave the cats and dog alone with out separating, which is hard in an apartment with no doors other than the bathroom.  In every instance Jasio initiates the attack, and I have been unable to tell what triggers it.  The dog might be sleeping and he will attack.  Coming back in from walks?  Attack.  Drinking from the water dish? Attack.  Looking out the window?  Attack.  When Xerxes was alive he would come in the moment Jasio howls and attack along side him, which would bring Callista into the fray. 

My two youngest cats, The Niblet (female/spayed, 2 years old) and Hector (male/neutered, 9 months old) have never shown any aggression or participated in any attacks.  Indeed, they often sleep with the dog and will play with her tail.

Jasio is the cat that always starts it.  He is big, over 13 pounds and not fat, a resource guarder and a bully.  He will bully the other cats to take sleeping spots, and if I didn't put everyone in crates for meal times he would bully them away from food.  Right now he is trying to bully me into feeding him dinner early, and will nip (while purring the whole time), paw me, get in my way and generally be annoying to get what he wants.  If another cat were to come up and try to beg from me while Jasio is doing so he will swat them with claws in and give a warning bite while vocalizing what I can only describe as a complaint.

When this issue first started after a week of Xanax for the cats and keeping every one separated unless supervised I decided that Kiska needed to stay somewhere else long enough for everyone to calm down.  She lived with my friends for over a month and we very slowly re-introduced her the household with play dates.  When she finally moved back in everything seemed nervous but OK, but after a couple of months the attacks resumed.  The vets and I finally decided that drugs were going to have to be involved long term.  Xerxes was on Prozac for nearly a year before we were able to wean him off of it.  Jasio did not respond well to Prozac so we switched him over to phenobarbital and that seemed to work for nearly a year.  Then he broke through it.

Now he is on lorazepam (ativan) and while he is always a little drunk and extra cuddly he seems to be doing rather well.

I don't have anything against medicating for behavior issues in the short term, but I would strongly prefer that in the long term he gets off the drugs and we solve this behavior issue without them.

When Jasio attacks he usually starts with a long, drawn out howl.  He will puff his tail out and stalk while hissing or more usually howling, then launch himself at the dog.  They have somewhat ritualized the confrontations, where the dog puts her head down and mostly closes her eyes and assumes an appeasement posture until Jasio attacks.  Then she snaps in his direction while trying to back away or run past him and he swats, bites and screams at her. 

In every case that I witness this I will scoop him up (and yes I am very aware of the risks of him re-directing the aggression to me.  So far I have been very lucky) and hold him until he calms.  Usually I have to pet him to de-puff his coat along his spine and tail, and once his coat is flat again I can usually set him down without the attack resuming.  When he attacks he is so amped with adrenaline that his legs shake uncontrollably and he is totally focused on the dog.  I never use a "reassuring voice" when he is in attack mode (or really ever, now that I think about it) but just try to keep my tone conversational and light.

Posture wise he stands straight legged in the back end, ears off to the side, tail up at the base then draped straight down to slightly back and he approaches low in the front end with his head up. 

I am at my wits end with this situation.  It isn't fair to my dog, it isn't fair to Jasio or other cats, it isn't fair to me.  Despite the medications Jasio has been more reactive lately, and the dog's health is in the decline overall.  She is hypothyroid, has IBD, gets recurrent urinary tract infections (common enough in older female dogs) and has some other issues that are undiagnosed at this time.  She is in early liver failure (and vet can't figure out why) so probably doesn't have much longer for this world.  Sometimes I wonder if Jasio is reacting to her poor health, sometimes I wonder if he has just gone off the cliff. 

If anyone has some advice I'd love to hear it.  At this point I just want to make my dog's final year or so as comfortable as possible, and for Jasio to not be so stressed out in general.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a fact that some cats will react very aggressively towards another animal that smells "sick". It is likely that Jasio is doing just that. 

I am sorry that Kiska is not doing well. 

Personally, I do not believe in medicating animals for behavior issues. Time outs for bad behavior, rewards for good have worked for me. I interfere the moment I suspect there is going to be a fight, I do not let it escalate. Have you tried natural calming aids for Jasio? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ever since the first attack I have been using behavioral therapy to attempt to defuse the situation.  Part of the problem is that while I have got an idea of what a few of the triggers are, sometimes the attack is so utterly random (to me, I'm certain it makes perfect sense to Jasio) that until he is puffy and charging I don't know it is going to happen. 

While both animals like to be around me a lot, there are times enough when they are out of my line of vision.

I can understand why a lot of people are uncomfortable with medication for behavior issues, but in some situations it is the best answer until other approaches can be implemented.  Since my lease is up in a few months I am currently looking for a new apartment which has more doors so I can divvy up the space a little bit.  I'd like to give the cats a dog-free zone, and the dog a cat-free zone.  Hopefully with a more secure sense of territory (once they've settled) we can try backing down his drugs again. 

So far as natural calming aids are concerned, I was given a few different ones by a co-worker.  No effect at all.  Actually, I think all the cats were a little more agitated with the Composure chews.  Rescue Remedy did nothing at all.

I have Feliway diffusers going at all times, in all rooms, it is the only thing that helped even a little bit.

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats don't like things that smell funny. When either one comes back from their yearly vet visit and got shots, they don't like each other. The vet recommended wiping them down and then putting a few drops of vanilla extract on each one behind the shoulder (so they couldn't lick it off). Maybe a bath/wipe down for all your animals and a few drops of extract would help. Just a thought. Good luck! Please be sure all nails are clipped...

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't get the post-vet crazies around here, might be because I work for the vet and it all smells the same to them!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Since my lease is up in a few months I am currently looking for a new apartment which has more doors so I can divvy up the space a little bit.  I'd like to give the cats a dog-free zone, and the dog a cat-free zone.   
 That will surely ease things for everyone. 

I have a dog who at the beginning did not understand the cats and vice versa. The cats did not like their rear being poked and smelled and the dog would get nervous when the kittens would brush against his face. The cats found the barking irritating and the dog mistook loud meowing to a prelude to a cat fight. 

Although the years seem to have broken the "language" barrier, still there are times when the cats don't want the dog around. They would sometimes just swat at him for no reason. Cats are so moody! 

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They may not like the smell of whatever the dog was eating or got into... That's why I suggested making everyone smell the same! My 2 cats will attack each other (especially the older one attacks the younger one) when she doesn't like the smell of her!

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They may not like the smell of whatever the dog was eating or got into... That's why I suggested making everyone smell the same! My 2 cats will attack each other (especially the older one attacks the younger one) when she doesn't like the smell of her!
If only it was that easy, though I appreciate your help.

Unfortunately this situation is far beyond simply getting them to all smell the same, I've actually tried that a few times and did it when re introducing Kiska to the household.  It helped getting her back in to the house but Jasio still persists in going after her randomly.

Given the postures he takes when he attacks it is pure aggression, not a fear aggression response which is what I would expect if it was totally due to odor.  There are a few triggers I am aware of.  He is a resource guarder so I have to make sure he has water dishes she can't get to, his food dish is in the closet on top of a dresser and in a large carrier, and all the litter boxes are situated so Kiska cannot get too close to them.  Even then if I am eating in the house I have to watch out because if he thinks she is going to get a tasty morsel he'll go after her.  At this point I have to be cautious when handing out treats in order to prevent an attack.  Even play sessions are dangerous because when he is in hunting mode he is more likely to attack her.  I have to put her in her crate and cover her with a blanket every night at play time.

That said if it was just resource guarding I would be handle it, but the sad truth is there have been times where all she was doing was sleeping on her dog bed or the love seat (she never uses the couch any more since he has claimed it as his) where he just came at her. 

I seriously considered re-homing one or the other, but since Jasio is the unpredictable aggressor and has a history of biting when he feels frustrated (which is often) and Kiska is elderly with many health issues it really wasn't an option.  I know Kiska may not be with me in a year or so, her liver is shutting down among other issues, but I just wish we could have a little harmony in the house so her last year or so is happy for her.  The poor dog had a really rough life before I got her and she deserves a little peace and dignity in her final time.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a tough situation!   Just a few ideas which you may have already tried:

- nonstop 24 hour Feliway diffuser in the main room

- you may have tried rescue remedy but consider the spirit essences line specifically for aggression

- amitriptyline

- dividing up the spaces permanently

- rehoming one or the other - I know it would be tough given their issues but it just seems so rough for the poor dog

I have a big orange giant cat who has issues similar to Jasio though not quite as bad toward his mother cat.   It is a situation of constant management, you have my sympathies and I hope you find a solution!

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear it's not that simple. My Buttercream was like that. I wanted another cat, but she wouldn't have it. Finally decided to get Penny at 6weeks old and kept her safe in another bedroom unless I was there. Had to train them how to get along. Penny is 3 now and has turned into the boss; she turned things around on Buttercream, who is 4 pounds bigger... Both female. Immediate and swift removal of the offender/aggressor was the only way. I would put Buttercream (and Penny if needed) immediately in the bedroom and close the door for 1/2 hour. She pretty quickly figured out that she was being punished for bad behavior; I would also tell her "no biting" and "no fighting" etc. She started getting sneaky about it and only caused a problem when she thought I wasn't looking. If I heard Penny complaining, I'd immediately assume it was Buttercream and put her into the bedroom. Eventually, Buttercream really did stop and it became Penny who was bossing Buttercream around. She really is a sweetheart, but figured out that she could take the reigns and keep Buttercream from beating her up! She keeps Buttercream under her thumb whenever she gets out of hand! Now, all I have to say is a "nooooo" warning and either walk toward them or stomp my foot and they both run in opposite directions because I taught them to do that! They really did learn, but it took a lot of patience and willing subjects. Buttercream was intent on being the only cat; I was intent on having Penny...

Best of luck to you; I hope isolation will work for you and Jasio gets the message; keep your eye on him. If you're not home, maybe you should isolate him until you can trust him.

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS there was a litter box in that 'punishment' bedroom!

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a tough situation!   Just a few ideas which you may have already tried:

- nonstop 24 hour Feliway diffuser in the main room

- you may have tried rescue remedy but consider the spirit essences line specifically for aggression

- amitriptyline

- dividing up the spaces permanently

- rehoming one or the other - I know it would be tough given their issues but it just seems so rough for the poor dog

I have a big orange giant cat who has issues similar to Jasio though not quite as bad toward his mother cat.   It is a situation of constant management, you have my sympathies and I hope you find a solution!
-I love Feliway!  We have 4 diffusers going at all times and I know it is helping.  I always know when a diffuser has run out since the household gets a little tense, and they stop hanging out by them.

-I'm a little skeptical about flower essences and the like, I know some people swear by them but I know just as many people who did not see any effect at all from them.  I suspect a lot of the positive results come from the placebo effect.  Cats are such sensitive animals and read us so well so if we are expecting something to work in calming them they feel calmed from our demeanor rather than the whatever we are giving them.

-Amitriptyline is not really a go-to drug anymore, since there are more effective (and quicker acting) drugs with less side effects available these days.  He was phenobarb for over  a year but finally broke through that.  We now have him on Lorazepam (ativan) and that seems to doing it.  Bonus, the main side effect he has is being extra snuggly.

-In my current apartment I have no doors, not even to the bedroom.  The next apartment will have doors.

-Given that Jasio has bitten people (not just nips either) he is not "adoptable", he's always been a difficult cat.  I suspect it is due to having been born into a house of people who did not interact with the kittens except to torment them, and then being taken away from his mother at age 6 weeks.  Top it off with the fact that he is very outgoing and feels the need to be in control of everything you have a pain in the butt bully.  He is lucky I love him.

Kiska is no longer adoptable by anyone except someone willing to put a thousand dollars into hospice care for a dying dog.  She is hypothyroid, gets recurrent UTIs, has IBD, has some weird undiagnosed spleen issue, has cirrhosis of the liver and is in early liver failure.  She is also very loving and affectionate, quite, gentle and happy except when Jasio is in a bad mood.  I'm glad that I've been able to give her an extra 5 years that she wouldn't have had otherwise, she has been a delight.

Richbet-

Glad to hear Penny and Buttercream learned to live together!

I think adopting Hector has helped Jasio a little too.  Hector is a snuggle bug and even when Jasio is being a total jerk to everyone Hector just accepts it with good cheer.  Last night Jasio was cuddled up with me while I did some photo editing and Hector came up for some love too.  Jasio's first action was to bite and swat him.  Hector (bless his stupid little heart) just started purring and jumped on Jasio's head to pin it down for a good grooming session.  2 minutes later I had two cats grooming each other while wedged between me and the keyboard and I had given up getting any work done for the sake of the cute.

When he is having a really bad day I will put him into his "time-out" crate until he's chilled. 

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Imbri:  Take care of yourself!! It can be so nerve-wracking and really get to you after a while.

catfanatic12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently watched that show My Cat from Hell on Animal Planet and saw that bully cats need special interaction... they need activity and they need to be shown that you are in charge, NOT the cat. 

richbet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, Imbri. When one of my cats is really grooving on being with me and the other comes along and butts in, the first one tries to swat the other away, too. They're so territorial! When one gets too bossy, I make them both get down so nobody is getting attention when there is friction. That seems to work; I just tell them 'no fighting' and 'be a nice girl', etc and they get it... Kitty loves Mom!!

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support.  This has actually been going on for about a year now and we're at a somewhat manageable point.  It is just the random attacks that happen about once a month that make me want to cry in frustration.  I really want to get Jasio off the meds, but I am afraid that so long as we have a dog he is going to act like this.

It is funny, Jasio is fairly OK with sharing "me time" with the other cats (well, except Callista, but she hates everyone anyway) but if the dog comes by he has to stare.  If he is staring or growling and I kick him off the desk or my lap that will trigger an attack (resource guarding) so I generally keep him where he is and break his line of sight.

Goofy cat.

BTW: Richbet, your girls are just adorable!  I want to squish them with hugs!

Last edited: