Brushing Teeth

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
So I rescued my cat as a kitten six years ago and she is a little high strung due to her previous situation. I didn't know nearly as much about cat care when I got her as I do now, and I never brushed her teeth. Fast forward four years and I find forums like this and learn about the importance of dental health in felines. So I buy a toothbrush and I get to work. The problem is she HATES it. She hates me being anywhere near her mouth. I got discouraged and stopped after a few months because I just want her to be happy and if that means not brushing her teeth than that's that. I got her teeth cleaned by the vet six months ago and her teeth are looking fine according to them. I plan to getting them cleaned every two years. My questions are, is that enough? Am I a horrible cat mom for giving up? Do I need to keep trying to brush her teeth? How many of you brush your cat's teeth?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I haven't had any luck in brushing my cats teeth. One cat tolerates me rubbing her gums with my finger but no toothbrush. My senior girl is turning 14 and we only needed to do cleaning one time when she was 2-each cat is individual-the vet will recommend a cleaning if they see buildup of tartar and junk. Not sure how she managed 12 years with no dental- I would go with what your vet recommends. Just like people. Some of us get build up of tartar often and others hardly ever have it. you can get one of those finger brushes and just rub it on her neck like brushing her-try that for a few weeks. The trick is to go slow. Get her used to you grooming her near her mouth...once she gets used to you rubbing her throat/chin maybe she will tolerate the mouth being touched..some cats just won't tolerate it..I have one!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy gets his teeth brushed every single day. Emma only tolerates it every other day.

Do you use pet toothpaste? The CET poultry flavored one is popular with cats. I also use the seafood flavored one.

CET also makes a mini cat sized toothbrush which is less scary to a cat than a long handled one. The mini toothbrush only comes as part of a kit. Some of the newer kits have the newer mini toothbrush that you slip over a finger. You can also try a finger brush or small Human interdental brush or even just a piece of gauze wrapped around a finger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! I will try your tips. If it doesn't work out though I'm not going to beat myself up over it and will just get them cleaned by the vet when he recommends.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If if were the techno savvy type I'd record a video of my two cats getting their teeth brushed. In all honesty, I cannot imagine many cats being as accepting as they are. They don't struggle or give me a hard time at all. They have to close their mouths every once in a while to swallow but aside from that they're perfect. I've been brushing their teeth since they were about six weeks old so they know the drill. And LTS3 is right on the money about the CET toothpaste and tiny toothbrush. I've used a child's toothbrush before but the CET brush is easier. I personally don't think you should give up. According to my vet, it makes all the difference in the world to their overall well being.