Brush for controlling cat hair around the house

Apogee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you guys recommend a intermediate brush for taking out some of the fur on my cats before it goes all over the place? I want to go in steps so cats don’t freak out and I don’t want my cats to look like they got a hair cut either. I’ve got a lot of fur on my bed and such... my one cat enjoys the silicone glove but the hair goes all over the place and makes more of a mess. I would like the brush to catch the hairs so I can easily throw it away. Eventually I will go to a fine tooth comb that takes most of it out but don’t want to freak the cats out just yet.
Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apogee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! This is what I don't like about the zoomgroom brush - I end up having to vacuum lol!

There are slicker brushes that work pretty well, that hang on to the fur;
Li'l Pals Coated Tips Dog Slicker Brush - Chewy.com
I just ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KMB5XPS/?tag=thecatsite

I hope it helps because there fur all over the house! I assume these slicker brushes and combs are for catching the hair before it falls of the cat? There was one product that claims 2x a week will reduce shedding by 95%.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I don't know about the 95% - I think it needs to be more frequently than twice a week although consistency does help :), plus the time of year/season will make a bit of a difference too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apogee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know about the 95%
Yes, that almost seems too good to be true. Even if I got 45% I would be happy. It’s unbelievable how much hair these little monsters are dropping all over the place now

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I hope it helps because there fur all over the house! I assume these slicker brushes and combs are for catching the hair before it falls of the cat? There was one product that claims 2x a week will reduce shedding by 95%.
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom , brush more than twice a week will definitely help but it is still not enough. Best is brush everyday and as often as you can in a day and take a longer time to really brush out the loose hair.

My boy is a DSH but his fur is all around especially after he finished his sleep. I find many loose hair after he gets up be it the pillow on my bed or wherever he sleeps. I brush him many times day and I take about a good 5 minutes to brush him.

So a long hair cat may shed more or it's more obvious as it is more visible. One reason why even though you have brushed the fur, you'll still find them around is because when they scratch themselves, lots of fur will come off too. Just pay attention the next time your cat scratch themselves, you'll notice fur flies everywhere.

A right brush may do the job, but we still have to be diligent to brush them very often. If you brush them several times a day, you'll notice that there'll be less fur around the house but not totally no fur which is better than brushing only twice a week. Also by brushing very frequently, they have less chance of getting hairballs.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I comb Theodore twice a day and still have fur all over! LOL
He comes and tells me it's time to comb. He LOVES it!
He wakes me in the morning for his morning combing. I imagine it's like a body massage to him.
DSCN8011.JPG