Brown Cat From Hades

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have 8 cats. All strays. I've never once purchased a kitty. But this one stray we took in is feral (He hunts human feet from under chairs. Lucky for us his previous owner at some point declawed him. He is also food aggressive....towards human food only. I blame my dad who thinks it's cute that BC bites him. I think he likes the attention). He's a Siamese. He's so mean we didn't even name him.. he is brown cat. He gets along with pretty much no one most of the time. When he engages in grooming he still has that tail tucked. He is a lone wolf kinda cat. But he has his tail curled up like a corkscrew 24/7. I know its a sign of fear but even when hes laying with his tummy exposed fast asleep that tail is still curled up. Do Siamese normally have curled tails?? Is that just how it is?? I don't have any photos of this aloof creature but if you imagine the curl on top of a DQ ice cream cone... that's what it looks like. Tail tucked with a DQ curl. Any advice?? If I can get a photo I'll post it ASAP. But for now That's all I've got. Thanks in advance!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Where to begin.

I don't understand what you mean by a curled tail. Did he sustain some sort of injury to his tail while he lived outdoors? He could have fractured or broken his tail and that's how it healed. I have a cat with a crooked leg due to an injury before I rescued her. It's possible that the odd way he holds his tail has nothing to do with being unfriendly.

From what you described, there are several reasons why he may be acting in an aggressive, unhappy manner. Can I ask if you or anyone else likes this cat or has tried to show him affection, played with him with a wand or laser toy, talked softly to him, or tried to earn his trust? Cats are very sensitive, perceptive creatures and can sense when they're not liked or wanted. You regard him as a cat from Hades that you won't even name? I wasn't sure if you were being serious or joking.

Cats who have been traumatized often are stressed, scared, and respond with aggression. If he's had to survive on his own outdoors and experienced starvation, that is traumatic. Also, being declawed (which is painful because the first digits of the toes are removed), and having to adjust in a household with 7 other cats and unfamiliar people all qualify as trauma. Traumatized cars require more time and patience to adjust.

There may alsi be medical issues involved such as parasites, which will make a cat crazy with hunger and resorting to stealing human food because the parasites are depleting the cat of nutrition. This can easily be remedied with a dewormer. Fleas can also cause anemia and hunger. If he was out on his own, he may have learned to survive by eating human food scraps from garbage and this habit has persisted. If so, this will settle down with time.

Was he neutered? How long you've had
him? Is he is an indoor only cat or does he also go outdoors? There are many factors involved in behavioral issues.

Are you planning to keep the cat? If so, there are lots of people on this site who can help you with info on how to socialize and integrate him in your household and how to help him with the behavioral issues. A first good step would be to name him and get him to a vet for an exam to see if there are medical issues that he can be helped with.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. Where to begin.

I don't understand what you mean by a curled tail. Did he sustain some sort of injury to his tail while he lived outdoors? He could have fractured or broken his tail and that's how it healed. I have a cat with a crooked leg due to an injury before I rescued her. It's possible that the odd way he holds his tail has nothing to do with being unfriendly.

From what you described, there are several reasons why he may be acting in an aggressive, unhappy manner. Can I ask if you or anyone else likes this cat or has tried to show him affection, played with him with a wand or laser toy, talked softly to him, or tried to earn his trust? Cats are very sensitive, perceptive creatures and can sense when they're not liked or wanted. You regard him as a cat from Hades that you won't even name? I wasn't sure if you were being serious or joking.

Cats who have been traumatized often are stressed, scared, and respond with aggression. If he's had to survive on his own outdoors and experienced starvation, that is traumatic. Also, being declawed (which is painful because the first digits of the toes are removed), and having to adjust in a household with 7 other cats and unfamiliar people all qualify as trauma. Traumatized cars require more time and patience to adjust.

There may alsi be medical issues involved such as parasites, which will make a cat crazy with hunger and resorting to stealing human food because the parasites are depleting the cat of nutrition. This can easily be remedied with a dewormer. Fleas can also cause anemia and hunger. If he was out on his own, he may have learned to survive by eating human food scraps from garbage and this habit has persisted. If so, this will settle down with time.

Was he neutered? How long you've had
him? Is he is an indoor only cat or does he also go outdoors? There are many factors involved in behavioral issues.

Are you planning to keep the cat? If so, there are lots of people on this site who can help you with info on how to socialize and integrate him in your household and how to help him with the behavioral issues. A first good step would be to name him and get him to a vet for an exam to see if there are medical issues that he can be helped with.
:yeah:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah he's been here about a year and a half. I'm honestly not sure where he came from. I came home one day and there was this cat in the house... My mom says he was a stray my dad fed. My dad supposedly led him in the house with a bowl of food... then closed the door and that was that. (6 of the 8 cats are cats my dad has brought in from outside That he felt bad for. He has an allergy to cats but keeps bringing them in. *Hoarder alert*)

It's possible he snapped his tail and it healed weird. But we have no history on this cat at all. He's been to the vet and was tested for FIV. Negative. He was probably someones pet and they threw him out when they moved. That's a common occurrence here in this neighborhood with both cats and dogs. (and bunnies, hamsters, snakes, parakeets, etc. when they move out they let it go outside. "Run free little Bob")

All of our cats are strict indoor cats. No one is allowed outside. He will sit beside you and you can pet him... till he realizes what you're doing then you get hissed at spat at and bitten...usually in that order.

I've made many attempts to play with him. I've learned cat nip makes him extremely aggressive towards everyone 10 fold! And the wand scared him to a corner where he got extra pissy.

He only gets food aggressive with people food.. we've got a beggar. But when the beggar gets ignored the beggar bites till there's blood then steals. Once again my father encourages this behavior as he finds it funny. (He's all the proof I need that men never grow up) Brown cat doesn't bite me for food I don't allow it to happen I also don't allow thievery. So he mainly goes after my dad for food since he knows if he keeps acting up my dad will reward him with bacon or turkey.

Honestly I think Brown cat would do better by himself. A nice elderly, no kids, no stress family. But even then I'm not so sure he will fully chill out. (And I know my dad will say no. If it was my house I would have either never brought him in or re-homed him ASAP to a single family.) We have a saying at home "You can take a cat out of a junkyard, but you can't take the junkyard out of the cat" But perhaps over time he will mellow out.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring for this cat. When socializing a cat to refrain from negative behaviors, such as nipping, biting and swiping at people, it's important for all of the people in the household to be on the same page. It's not healthy for a cat to be eating bacon or most other human foods, which can contain large amounts of salt and fat and none of the nutrition that a cat needs. Cats on the streets who are starving will eat from garbage and consume human foods, but they are not getting the nutrition that they need. Cats do enjoy the occasional unseasoned chicken or tuna fish, but that should be reserved as an occasional treat because they can be come addicted to these foods and then not want to eat their regular food. I am pretty sure bacon is not healthy for a cat. Can you have a talk with your father and explain that it's not healthy for the cat to be eating table scraps and ask him to refrain from doing this?

Cats who nip, bite, or swipe at people have issues related to how they were socialized as kittens. Kittens who have been separated from their mom and siblings too early often do not learn how to play and interact socially because they haven't been taught. They are often too aggressive, and this also affects how they relate to people. Cats can also be aggressive if they have been mistreated by humans. They view hands as weapons and will instinctively respond by defending themselves when a hand is coming towards them. When approaching an aggressive cat, it is best to be near their same level, sitting beside them, and carefully approaching from behind the head. When petting, be aware when cat is becoming agitated, their tail may begin to flick or they may begin to make a growling noise, and that is there signal for you to stop. When the cat does become aggressive, say "No" in a very firm voice. Some people make a hissing sound because that's the sound the cat's mother made to it when it was a kitten and misbehaved. Biting and swiping should not be encouraged as horseplay between the cat and people. There needs to be consistency in how everyone responds to the cat's behavior. I hope you can have a good conversation with your father and convince him to stop feeding the cat scraps and stop encouraging the aggressive behavior as though this were acceptable play between a cat and people.

When Brown Cat was taken to the vet, was he neutered and given a dewormer? If he hasn't been neutered, he will need to be neutered and that will reduce aggressive behavior. Also, sometimes parasites can cause a cat to be aggressive with regard to food. Do you leave out dry food for all of your cats 24/7? I have five cats, and there is always food available for them so they are not stressed over food.

I agree that Brown Cat would be better off in a less busy household, but I'm glad that you are caring for him and he is not out on his own. I think his behavior can improve if you and your father are on the same page. Good luck and keep us posted.

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Their bowls never empty. He apparently has already been neutered by the previous owner. That's always a first for any stray in this house. You get fixed... If you have urges there's a teddy bear, go buckwild boys.

As for tuna.. My cats aren't allowed tuna. Its too rich. Learned that lesson years ago with my boy Bruno. Lol Bruno taught us that Tuna, milk, ham and turkey in large quantities causes explosive poo. Lol poor cat didn't know what hit him. Afterwards he never wanted to play with fate again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any calming products?
CBD oil?
Also, look up American Ringtail Cat - I think your meezer may have some of this DNA...
Can you feed him more cat food?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow what a beautiful cat! I've never seen a tail curled like that. What did the vet say about it, do you know? How have things been going with the kitty, is he settling in better?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any calming products on him? There are treats, and sprays for your clothing and the carrier as well as the car, that sort of thing.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats hate trips to the vets, it's not a matter of a cat having a nasty personality. Vet trips are especially hard for cats who have been rescued from life outdoors or bad situations because they have a higher stress level than cats who were raised from kittenhood in a loving environment. If you look at it from their perspective, they are confined against their will in a small pet carrier, put in a car and taken for a car ride which is scary for them, then they encounter a waiting area filled with other scared cats and dogs who are barking and crying. Then they are handled, prodded and probed by unfamiliar hands. Of course it is an unpleasant experience. When I have to take one of my cats to the vet, it is always very stressful for both of us, even the one I raised from kittenhood. I put a soft towel in the carrier and spray it with Feliway spray, which is a calming agent for them. My one cat who is still pretty much a semi-feral has to be sedated at the vet office. They need to remove the top of the carrier and inject her with a sedative so they can do lab work. Many of us have to do these things to get a cat to the vet. If you already have a vet for your other cats, you might send those pictures to him or her to ask their thoughts about the curled tail. I'm sure they would give you some feedback. And if you ever do need to take Brown to the vet because of illness or injury, I'm sure you will be able to do it, it will just take a lot of patience. Thank you for continuing to care for him. Despite your negative comments about him and your posts, you must care for him or you wouldn't be on this site :)

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would need a tranq gun to get him in the carrier. lol But I do know he must have an issue with his backside. when he DOES let you pet him if you touch his rear or the tail he lets you know IMMEDIATELY thats not a good touch! He will bite till you bleed and not let you go.

but our cats go to the vet for serious things. Otherwise I just call the vets for info. Like this one time BC had a bloody paw. I called and told them I had no money to bring him in and even if I did he wouldn't sit still long enough for anyone to look what do I do. They said a bloody paw could be easily fixed with corn starch no trip necessary. Granted I needed the corn starch after to stop my bleeding after trying to stop his bleeding. He just scratched his pad on a piece of glass. It healed up quickly.

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he's never made it to the carrier. I haven't tried any calming products. any good recommendations??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy holds his tail like that alot. It's actually when he's content and peaceful that he does it the most. If his tail go straight it usually means he's upset.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - maybe something here will help;
Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway. There are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Thunderease has a diffuser and so does Sentry.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has a product as well.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?