Broken Tail

orange blossom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat came in one day walking like he was drugged.  He was not eating or drinking water.  I took him to the vet and examined him and there were no injuries.  They think that someone or something traumatized him. He was given a blood test and it showed nothing.   An  x-ray was taken and

there were no broken bones. The have been giving him iv water because he is dehydrated .  When that  is done he starts to perk up and starts to

eat a little food and drink a little water, but after two  days he starts to go back into like he was drugged.  I brought him back to the vet and again

gave him the iv water and a booster shot to pick him up, and again he perks up and then goes back to the same thing. Now this what I noticed

I was petting him and I  noticed that the tip of him tail is broken. Could this be the reason he  is not eating or drinking water, because he had been

traumatized?     I will take him to the vet tomorrow because they are closed now.  Could this be the reason he is not eating or drinking.  He is  only 2 years old

and I found him in the woods.  I had to win his trust and eventually I picked him up and he became part  of the family.  Who ever had had him

had him declawed and neutered, the vet checked to see  if their was a chip but their was none.  I am heartbroken he was so happy and playful I

do not want to loose him.  All he does is sleep, I have been waking him up to give him some water with a syringe something to hold him until

tomorrow when I go to the vet. Can anything be done if he is traumatized?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Poor guy!

It sounds like something is definitely not right. My first though is something up with his internal organs or that he's eaten something poisonous, but I'm not a vet so I'm glad you're going to see yours.

If it is trauma, I've found the best thing to do is keep to as much of his normal routine as possible. Cats usually find comfort in their routines and familiar things. If he has a blanket that he likes, have that for him, if there's a favorite spot you can sit while holding him, anything that he associates with comfort will likely help.

Good luck! Hopefully your vet can get him sorted out.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If his tail is broken he may be in pain, which in itself is traumatising and would account for his behaviour. Cats hide pain very well, and often an owner has no idea.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would check the area of the tail closely and see if there are any signs of wound/infection or possibly bite marks as well.