Bro and me again ...any help?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear little Lily, she sounds like a live wire.  :lol3:     Not what you need when your patience is thin from lack of sleep.

Do take care with her and using the water spray technique as, althought she currently seems defiant and not phased, it can result in anxiety for many cats.  Even if you have used this method successfully before.   It may seem exhausting when the main thing you want it rest and sleep but diverting her scratching and other behaviours you wish to stop to less precious / easily damaged surfaces or appropriate play can be more effective in the long run and help to build a really strong and positive bond between you and your cat (rather than the big human who is always telling her off).   There are a few articles here on TCS about how this works if you haven't seen them, but perhaps for when you have managed to get a little rest.
http://www.thecatsite.com/atype/43/Cat_Behavior
I must say i agree with MServant
you can make a very nervous cat with the spray bottle. I've never used it. I find it a bit cruel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I am ready to listen...

newspaper rolled up does not work she will bite it and keep destroying furniture and drapes and lampshades..

The spray bottle has not had to be used today...because I got up all day and took her away from things and said

No Lily ..and repeated that all day which I am not able do this daily and no sleep at night due to Bro..

so I am listening...any suggestions?

I can put her in her carrier which is 42 inches long and wide...a huge dog open carrier I got her..

she just meows when I do if it is for discipline and she knows what she is doing..

I wish I could paste the carrier on here will try to show you she had lots of room in it..

I do not want a cat with anxiety...my goodness I deal with that enough..Peebo who was euthanized was scared of

a garbage bag or hanging clothes and people..all his life...

Bro has anxiety and I do not want Lily to be anxious..

They all have and had a loving home here with us..no

extra noise, no dogs of ours, and quiet and beautiful serene woods

out large windows to see daily..and lots of toys and petting...

I can not control wild dogs, or dogs like pitbulls and those that might come through miles of woods

into my yard, nor snakes or coyotes..it seems that peoples dogs have been the worst we have dealt with

over the years... we kept our dog contained when we had one and it never went to other's homes..

I am open to advice..

thanks SheriT

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. Yes, I know and believe that too. I have laid hands on Angel & prayed many times!  I'm glad it's getting better, & you finally got a little sleep. 

Unfortunately Angel just threw up what little food he ate this morning. I gave him his appetite stimulant this morning, & his  anti-nausea just now. (had to drag him out from under the bed for it :(  but wanted to get it in him, so he will feel better).  
Quite a few years ago I had to give my late lotto appetire stimulant. He brought it up before hwe even swallowed it:vibes:.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is good to hear that last night saw a slight improvement, and that the Rescue Remedy should arrive soon.

Kittens are hard work and need a lot of attention even if they have another kitten to play with because they can get in to anything and everything.   That is not going to be easy when you are so tired with lack of sleep.

Does Bro play with her at all?  Lily sounds like she has a high play drive and lots of energy that she needs to run off, and enjoys the attention of people.  If kittens like this do not have lots of oportunity to play and interact they will often race about and get in to all the things they know will get their human's attention - the stuff you do NOT want them to do.   If you can find toys and games that she will play with you, like wand toys and mice or balls you can throw and she chase after (lots of them or you end up having to go pick the thing up repeatedly), and get her to play really hard for more than half an hour so she is tired out, hopefully you will get some periods through the day where she is happy to curl up and nap.   If she is quiet and you need to be busy maybe you will prefer her to see her pen as the place she likes to be so do not use that as a punishment type place.  You want it to be like a reward where she feels happy and safe.  If you want lap time then playing until she is tired out as also a great way to bond with her and have her see you as a nice companion rather than the scary person who says 'no' (and gets ignored).

There are some toys like the ball in circuit ones, which cats can play with on their own and get a good response and run about, or play with a companion so if you don't have anything like they, it is worth trying to see if Lily and Bro take to them.  They are also good for using in a pen as the ball can be chased even in a confined space.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

@SheriT

Be very careful using Valerian with cats - it has the oposite effect with cats to how it works with humans.  It actually stimulates cats.   Mouse reacts even more strongly to it than catnip and gets very over excited and aggressive so it is a total no-no in my home.
Hekitty must be atypical with the valerian, then.  Although she plays with it more aggressively, afterwards she naps for an hour or so, sometimes more.  And she won't touch catnip at all unless there is a fairly large pile of loose leaf on the floor.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Hekitty must be atypical with the valerian, then.  Although she plays with it more aggressively, afterwards she naps for an hour or so, sometimes more.  And she won't touch catnip at all unless there is a fairly large pile of loose leaf on the floor.
@Mamanyt1953   Cats will respond (or not) in very individual ways to the chemicals in these herbs so it is something to be careful with when there are already some behaviour issues.   Valerian is known to be a stimulant for cats, and the sleeping may be a result of the additional activity displayed when your cat has been aroused by the herb.   I never got to the sleepy point with Mouse as he instantly turned in to a monster cat jumping at my head and biting my arm.  

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I once tried valerian myself on a tiny dose one night and I did not like what it did to me

my heart felt like a dead drop of a thud at times..and chest tightness...

I also can not use melatonin...so I would hesitate on a cat or dog too..

Just happens that I am chemical and medically chemical sensitive and to fragrances

cleaning agents , and lots more..

I have to post today..I am sitting here so happy at what I bought Lily today!

best thing in my entire life time for any of my cats.....LOVE IT..

Sheri T and Lily and Bro and hubby Larry

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
     I had to go look to see if you had posted anywhere about your happy news!    That is brilliant.   Here is to a Lily who will play and chase her self to sleap and possibly even let Bro have a play and help him relax too.   

Watching cats play (while not having to actually involve your self in the game) has to be one of the sweetest and best forms of therapy.     Very happy for you.

Hoping you have similar success with finding something to calm Bro.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there
I once tried valerian myself on a tiny dose one night and I did not like what it did to me
my heart felt like a dead drop of a thud at times..and chest tightness...
I also can not use melatonin...so I would hesitate on a cat or dog too..
Just happens that I am chemical and medically chemical sensitive and to fragrances
cleaning agents , and lots more..

I have to post today..I am sitting here so happy at what I bought Lily today!
best thing in my entire life time for any of my cats.....LOVE IT..
Sheri T and Lily and Bro and hubby Larry
What did you buy her?

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Mouseservant!

just got the rescue remedy out of the mailbox and just put the 4 drops on a greenie dry treat for Bro

he ate it and hope it works!

Bro was better last night..much better so I think we are seeing the light of day..

a saying..

Lily is now on the table by my laptop on top of my paperwork of course..LOL

Thank you so much

SheriT , Bro and Lily

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
smart paws birdie toy

I posted it on the cat toys part of the site today

pictures and reviewed it...got it at walmart

I had to do something my nerves are shot

what is left of them...smiles..

between Peebo losing him..

Bro in depression and anxiety which the last two nights have

been huge im

provement...gave him lst dose of rescue remedy

just now..

Lily and all her energy...

extra litter box to clean now and vacumming and mopping each day

in the house...lst thing each  morning...

and me not well nor husband

it seems we will see the light of day

soon...better than it was for over a month..

Hugs to you and Angel..I know he is not feeling well and had been

nauseated...

take care

SheriT

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Have my fingers crossed here for Lily still playing and tiring her self out, and for Bro being more settled, esp with the Rescue Remedy now there to offer with his treats.  I went to bed early last night (but seem to be coming out in sympathy with you @SheriT  and only managed to doze lightly for some reason), then work today so not long in.   Waiting eagerly to hear how you are doing.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet Lily is having fun with her new toy!   Some toys that can entertain her is a good idea. Does Bro play with her at all yet?  That self shooting laser would keep her entertained a while! LOL!  

I saw one last week in the Bed, Bath & Beyond ad for just under 20.00. Add the 5.00 coupon, & that's a good deal!  (17.00 is the cheapest I've ever seen them).  You might want to check it out. 

Angel is feeling much better & eating a lot now!  You can check our thread for updates.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I bet Lily is having fun with her new toy!   Some toys that can entertain her is a good idea. Does Bro play with her at all yet?  That self shooting laser would keep her entertained a while! LOL!  

I saw one last week in the Bed, Bath & Beyond ad for just under 20.00. Add the 5.00 coupon, & that's a good deal!  (17.00 is the cheapest I've ever seen them).  You might want to check it out. 

Angel is feeling much better & eating a lot now!  You can check our thread for updates.  
I know some people don't like the lazer toys but I think they can be really great for good run abouts as long as you are sure to give a nice food reward at the end of the session.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still don't know what the toy is.
I'm glad angel is eating well now. Give her a kiss from me.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wallmart has the smart paw birdie toy...is that what you asked me

I reviewed it on the forum lst person to purchase it.

Birdie and chase toy..

Walmart also has the laser mouse for 3.99 cent..

Sheri