Bro and me again ...any help?

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bro is wailing from dark till dawn in the house wanting to go outside..

he was an outside cat for  6 months of the year for 8 years until

dogs mauled his brother peebo and he was euthanized in october...

The calming collar is not working as I hoped.

At night he continues to come to the bedroom door and wail and even with our radio playing and a solid wood door he keeps me up..all night and this has been

going on for over a month..I am beyond being worn out , and sleep deprived.

Has anyone managed to see a cat become an indoor cat and be happy that loved the outdoors earlier in life and was an outdoor cat?

Any thoughts on that? Thank you , Sheri T

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sherri,
I know I have read about many cats on this site that have transitioned. I'm sure every case is different. I know you've been through a lot, but poor bro has really been through a lot in such a short, short time. First loosing Peebo & witnessing what happened,. Second, changing to indoors, & third, a new kitty in the house when be was already so stressed & still adjusting to all of this. I think it is to the point that he really needs some help. I think you should give the vet a call & explain it all & see if they will give you a Rx to help calm him & transition without having to take him in & pay for a visit too.
When Angel had cystitis, the vet put him on amatriptyline. It's an antianxiety, & antidepressant, BUT, she put him on it to help his bladder relax, so he could pee w/out spasms. Being that it was an antianxiety & antidepressant, Angel transitioned wonderfully. No crying at the door, etc.. I held on to it until it expired & used it a few times (1/2 a dose) when I thought he might get stressed out, like when I redid my living room floor, & had to put him in another room for the day. The only thing about that one is it made him more hungery, so that's when he gained his weight, & got up to 16 lbs, so you just have to watch that on our big boys. I really, really think it's to the point of necessary now, for him to get something to help. (When I got it, it was o ly about $9.00).
Give your vet a call, & see what they say.
Keep me posted.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think Angels mommy has some really important points here, and looking at your other thread about Bro  @SheriT  there are a lot  of other potential reasons for Bro's night time wailing.   He has had so many changes and things to cope with, as have you, and it has to be hard for him to deal with.  Chatting with your vet about it sounds like a sensible idea, and to check out that there isn't anything else underlying his distress.  I hope, for all of you, that you are able to find a way to calm him and get a good night's rest.

Thinking it might be useful for anyone else reading this thread to have the link to your earlier one about Bro' so more background information is available without you having to go over anything again unnecessarily.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks I am not really good at posting and I am sure others might have a similiar problem in the future...or do have

Thanks for bringing it all up to date...for me and them on Bro and the situation..

I am so sleep deprived and my husband that I can not think straight for over 30 nights now..

thank you again
Sheri and Bro

arcticcat907

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}</style><![endif]

I am by no means a cat psychologist or a cat breeder, behaviorist or anything like that. But in reading your story it made me think of something else. When I was a kid growing up we had three cats. By high school there were really old, and soon in college we started to lose them. Two of the cats were brothers. I can still remember for about a month or two after one of the brothers was euthanized, the other brother would go around the house meowing. He’d do a quick casual search of the house from room to room before eventually just meowing. And he’d meow for a while usually while looking at the front door or out a window. Our cats had always been indoor cats. After a while of meowing he’d eventually quit with this confused look on his face or he’d leave for a cat bed and just lay there. It was pretty obvious. He was looking for his brother and became confused, frustrated, and depressed when he never showed up. At some point it all eventually stopped but it took a while.

Cats do have the capacity for depression. Additionally cats dislike a break in their routines. And sometimes calls for attention are behaviors we reinforce when we respond at all. Be your cat upset by the loss, upset by a missing element of the routine (brother or going outside) or just reinforced by your actions when he meows, leaving him alone to work it out may be a good idea. Eventually it should stop. Calming collars, that feliway plug in, and time.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kelley

I appreciate that info and I just told larry about it

and he said yes if this continues will ask our vet

that we took Bro to for his 2cc cortisone shot last week

for arthritis ..about amatriptyline Bro starting on this for a few months

and yes I am glad you mentioned gaining weight  on that antideppresant

form of elavil...for cats too...

Humans gain and surely cats will too..

He is on weight management food by Nutro but does get canned food

once a day also..that is not weight management..

He likes his new sister  Lily...they were together all day and slept while we were gone from home and had the entire house to themselves....

when we got home today from grocery shopping

Bro started up the meowing loudly and is full force at 5 pm with it till tommorow at 7 am as it has been for over 30 days and nights

when we are home he is doing it...

I do not think he meows loudly

when we are not home...

my guess...he wants outside and he knows

when we are home that he can try to force us to let him out at night

or daytime too..

Thank you so much and all that posted about Bro.

SheriT , and Bro..and sister cat Lily

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dear Artic cat

thank  you for the time you took to post a reply to help us with Bro.

I appreciate your sharing about your cats and how one acted when

the other was euthanized..

I should have thought to show Bro his brother Peebos body before

we buried Peebo..

I was crying so  hard I just let my husband bury

Peebo and I had to come in the house ...and sit down...

after

I had driven 30 miles to the vet alone and made that decision

to euthanize my cat...Peebo...who sat with me for 9 years

and came here following his mother through the woods as a tiny kitten

hot and thirsty and hungry at about 7 weeks old..barely could even walk

he was so young...

and

I brought him inside as she was not with him that hot summer day

and I kept him..

Bro is closer to my husband, that is his football cat..who sits with him

during college football games and is calm during all that yelling and

football watching...time..over the years...

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
New  update as of Dec 10 , 2015 on  Bro and his wanting to go outside day and night

he had to come inside after being an outdoor cat all his life after his brother was mauled by dogs

and he witnessed it and ran for his life that day..

Okay we tried the calming collars, the Sentry has a too strong lavendar smell and it did not calm

the cat at all..

We tried another brand which I reviewed..no odor and liked that about it

but it did not calm Bro at all..

We have a huge dog pen on the front porch with a litter box, water and food and fleece blankets

for him in the daytime...where he can get some sun and is comfortable at this time of year

in daytime..He has to come in at night...as we found out he has arthritis and the colder temps

would make his pain worse...in cooler nights..and days.

Now we have ordered Rescue Remedy for Pets, the drops and will try this on a treat

at 9pm at night...for Bro..

I hope this works...as there is nothing else left to do but elavil ...in small amount of the vet

wants to do this for Bro in a few weeks..

We are all very tired..beyond tired..as this has been going on since Oct 27th when the mauling took place..that may not seem like long ..but I am a light sleeper and this wailing you can hear all through the house it is very loud and long periods of it..from Bro..and scratching the doors up also.

so that is what we are trying...to do to help Bro...and ourselves..

Feel free to reply...and thanks for any thoughts or prayers we need them.

Sheri, Larry , Bro and Lily

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sheri, I'm glad you consulted with the vet. I really hope the rescue Remedy works, but time will tell. I'm not familiar with elavil, but it may be what he needs. He has been through a traumatic time, & a lot of added stress in a very short amount of time ever since. Just one of those thing would be a lot of stress for a kitty, & he's had 3 all in one month!  

I really hate to say it, but he may need the meds. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hope you get your Rescue Remedy order through quickly and you see some positive effect for Bro.    Coping with the night time wailing and disturbance since the attack took place in October is a long time, and I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise.   Bro' is stressed, and listening him being distressed is a terrible experience as any person caring for their cat knows:  like any crying and upset creature it is like we are hardwired to want to respond and help and if we can't find something that works our own stress levels go up and up just like they would listening to a baby cry (which I believe is even used as a torture technique it is so bad).   You have all been through a dreadful experience and all need quality sleep and rest.   I very much hope you see a change in Bro over the coming days as he starts with the Rescue Remedy, but please do follow your vet's advice and try the medication if Bro doesn't seem better as you are all obviously suffering here.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. My immune system is shot. I am so sick from all the sleepless nights ...

Yesterday I had a FED ex man come to our house and he asked me why Bro was in the huge

cage on the porch..a nice cage..and I told him..about Peebo and the attack and Bro seeing it

and running for his life ...

Then the Fed Ex driver said last December the week before christmas his two yorkies

were in the yard and he could not find them in town...where he lived

well he walked the yard and there was the neighbors English bulldog with blood all over his face

and part of his little yorkie in his mouth..He said he went into shock seeing it...He did not have time

to take care of the dog...that had killed his pet yorkie

He found the other yorkie hiding behind a stairwell shaking...he said it took 4 months for the

yorkie that watched the other one killed..to get some better and one year later the little dog

has emotional issues...so the Fed ex driver understood ...

We now have found out that there are 2 pitbulls in our once wonderful pristine rural neighborhood

I also found out they killed 8 cats and the neighbors sweet little dog went missing..

It all makes me sick...because now I can not even walk through my lovely wooded drive to the mailbox

without protection ...on me..

Anyway, I will try the med if it comes to that...if the rescue remedy does not work..it should arrive in a week..

Thanks to you and Kelley and Miss green Jeans and others that have written..

if I forgot you that posted..I am just beyond tired so forgive me.

Much love to you all and your pets.

SheriT in Alabama

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That is an awful story @SheriT, but at the same time I am glad that you have been able to share with someone who has been through similar.   There has to be light at the end of the tunnel, it is just such a long journey getting there.   For all of you I hope things start to improve soon.  

Knowing about the dogs in your area must be pretty scary, and it sounds right that you should be wary your self when out and about.  For a while there were a lot of people keeping Pitbulls in the area I worked and everyone was very carefull when walking in the area or visiting people they didn't know (in case there was a dog in the property).  No one was seriously attacked but there were a few very frightening incidents.   It certainly confirms your actions in now keeping Bro indoors.

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much mservant..

I felt your love and compassion reading your reply to me

It was needed tonight and from my heart

I thank you for your kindness!

SheriT

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sheri, I'm just catching up on your thread. I've been so busy with Angle's, & him having his first chemo treatment today. 

It is nice that you were able to share with someone who had a similar experience, to relate to, & get some feedback from about the time frame it took.

I really hope the R.R works too, but if not, he will need the meds from the vet's. Either way, I hope you guys get some relief soon. You both definitely need it, for your health. 

Kelly

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I really feel for your kitty and you and your husband.
Do you think letting him into your bedroom at night to sleep with you might help?

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelley

when did you find out Angel has cancer..please private mail me if you would like to do so

I am so sorry..

SheriT

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I did let Bro sleep with me the first week at night

he would lie there and be quiet and even look at me

then get up and go down the hall and the meowing loudly would continue all night...

Last night desperate after 38 nights of it

I put him in  the utitily room with a litter box clean and a huge fleece blanket

and our house is neat and also heated to 70 at night..

He beat on the solid wood door..a 16 pound cat ..Bro

and he yelled most of the night again.

I had put the radio on a talk show in the kitchen to drown the noise out

not to bother him too loudly

I put a huge air machine on high in the hallway near our bedrooms to drown it out

and turned my radio on by the bed on talk show and

I still could hear him through all that...seriously..

The rescue remedy for pets will be here next week will try that

4 drops on a treat at 9 pm at night for Bro

if that does not work then it will be to the vet to see about elavil

which is the same as for humans..

amitriptyline (Elavil,

I appreciate everyone caring about us all..

Bro now is in his large open dog carrier on the porch for a few hours now

after he was closed up in the utility room all night..

Sheri T

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds so exhausting for all of you.   

The experience with Bro's brother was awful and would have traumatized anyone so in many ways it is not surprising Bro is still feeling distress.  You all must be.  

Bro looks like such a handsome cat, like a (not too) miniature tiger laying there in his pen - such a shame he is not able to settle as he looks like he would make a beautiful foot warmer on your bed.  He does look very happy and content there in his pen, looking out at his territory.    Just wondering - where is Lilly at night when Bro is calling and distressed?

BTW, having had two 'pensioner' tabby females for several years before I brought Mouse in to my home I know all too well how loud a cat can meowl.   I live in a first floor apartment and could hear my Pal  out on the other side of the street, never mind everywhere in my apartment.  My neighbours probably thought I tortured her - she, like her sister before her had when she went blind, would cry at night if she was in a different room to me and wasn't sure where I was.   At least she would settle if I called her to reassure her and then went to pick her up.   Awful when nothing will settle Bro. 

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you Mouse servant and so good to hear of your cats and experiences..

Bro does look like a tiger..some told us that

I will have to take some photos and post them on here for you to see of him

Lily is awake in her inside huge pen at night or loose in the house
i have to pull all drapes up, cover the couch and chairs as she will destroy

it all..she is wild ..wild kitten acting wise..she has scratch post and catnip spray

and toys..and now the water bottle is working spraying her face when she gets out of control

WHEN I can get to her..she is too fast for this woman..ME..

Sheri