Bringing in a New Kitten and I am the Weak Emotional Link?

bessb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone -

I live alone with my cat.  I've had her for just under one year, and I love her dearly.  We used to live with my roommate and her cat, but when I got a new job we moved out together, and so it's been just her and me for about two months.

I've been wanting to get a second cat.  She grew up with my roommate's cat, so she's used to company, and I do feel bad leaving her alone all day.  But here's the thing - she's a sweet, snuggly little thing - always on my lap when I have my morning coffee, curls up on the couch with me, wraps around my feet when I come home.  I love that in my cat.  She's my buddy!  And I don't want to lose that if I bring home another cat.

When I was with my roommate, Mal still snuggled up with me, but I wonder if that was because there were two people as well as two cats - I was hers, my roommate was Milo's.  In this case there wouldn't be a second person.  I want Mal to have company, but I also don't want to lose my sweet, affectionate friend.

Has anyone had experience with this?  I don't want my own emotional insecurity to get in the way of what's best for my cat, but...I can't help worrying I'll lose my cat.

cesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seven cats.  Some are snugglers some are not.  Muffin - my snuggler extrodinare as lived through and continued to snuggle me through the addition of four more cats.

How you treat her when the new one comes in is important. She is and should be the alpha and should the the lion's share of attention and love from you.  It is easy to 'forget' resident cats when new cats come in.  You want to make the newbie comfortable and welcome, but it should be a bit uncomfortable coming into another cat's territory.

if you can set aside one room for the new kitty that isn't prime territory (where you do most of your snuggling) and give your Mal lots of love and attention and treats and play time until she accepts the fact that there is another cat in the house.

You can google 'cat introductions' for lots of great advice on how to bring a new cat into the house properly to make the transition as smooth as possible for everyone.