Brillo

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I put down only one pet food bowl for the first time since 1990. My precious Brillo is gone.

In June I posted about the loss of Ziggy, Brillo’s brother. As I processed my grief, I blurted out that I resented my remaining cats, because they were still here and Ziggy was gone. Now I only have Felix. In less than 5 months I lost two of my treasured cats.

Brillo was an amazing cat. I met her on the day she was born. I pet-sat for her as she grew up right down the street. Brillo was a show cat…a purebred American Wirehair. She traveled the country by car and by plane, and quickly became a grand champion.

My neighbor bred her twice. She had one kitten each time. Girls. The second time she gave birth in Virginia, was given an orphan kitten to raise along with her own, and then flew back to Texas as soon as they could travel. Oh how I loved Brillo.

Brillo became mine when she was three. She was retired and did not get along well with the neighbor’s other cats. She got along just fine with my other two. And so began twelve years of love and adventures.

Brillo loved activity and was quite social. Any party and she was THERE. She especially loved my best friend Paul. She also fell for a couple of plumbers last summer, which led to her biggest escapade…crawling around in the ceiling between my first and second floor after finding a hole in the floor during renovations. She did that on two occasions and never stopped begging to be let back into the ceiling. I have so many gray hairs from that.

Brillo also loved her toy rat. She would carry it proudly while calling at the top of her lungs. The last time I heard that sound was Wednesday.

Brillo was also a skilled and dedicated hunter. Nothing was safe from her and I had to stay on my toes as she tended to catch her victims and then bring them into the pet door and release them. Snakes, lizards, mice, moths, even earthworms. She loved to hunt.

Brillo enjoyed a life of excellent health until just 13 days ago. I wrote in detail in the Cat Health forum (Intestinal Lymphoma). She was diagnosed just yesterday and this morning she made it very clear to me that she was ready to complete her fabulous life. At 10:30 this morning, the most compassionate vet I have ever met (yesterday was my first visit with her) helped Brillo pass peacefully.

I am left shattered and in shock. I can’t believe this has happened. I am still very much enveloped in grief from Ziggy’s loss and now Brillo is gone too. It’s all too much.

I sit and type in my empty bedroom. Brillo shared my bed almost every night for the twelve plus years she lived with me. The room seems quiet and sterile and sad. The world seems dull and colorless now. Somehow I will have to learn to live without my precious wirehairs by my side.

RIP precious Brillo.

Attachments

Mbane42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing such a life-long companion. Yesterday I lost my adopted senior Bengal cat (named Willow) my wife and I had taken in just under two months ago to lymphoma. Our Main Coon keeps looking for her around the apartment and it is breaking my heart to see him so depressed. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that the hard decision you made brought Brillo peace. I'll be praying for you and I hope the many memories you have with Brillo bring you comfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you too are feeling the pain of loss. Thank goodness you were there for Willow. Senior cats are so special.

I have a 17 year old former feral who is missing Brillo. He cries out for her. He had only recently stopped crying for Ziggy, who we lost in June.

Take good care. Grief is hard work.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cling to that sweet remaining cat, he is grieving too and can comfort you with his empathy.
I know the hole in your life is huge right now. Two losses in such a short period are like blows to an already broken heart. Ziggy and Brillo are together once more, both at peace because they carry your love. They took a little piece of your heart with them but left a part of their own to bring you comfort. The love that binds your souls together will NEVER leave you, not even death is strong enough to break that bond, it is spiritual, so eternal. They both live on through you now, so as hard as it is, continue forward into your future and seek life's happiness and even more love to add to theirs and make it even stronger. Live as you would want them to live if you were the first to go. Not in sadness and grief, but in the sunshine of happiness and joy that will give them peace and happiness knowing they gave you the ability to love. They did their job well.
Brillo was a very special little girl. She knows that and holds your love in her soul. She will forever be a beautiful part of your past and an important part of forming your future. Do not let your grief darken that sweet memory. Of course, you must grieve right now, you lost an important part of your life. But concentrate on all the years you shared, not the end which was a small part of that beautiful life.
My heart goes out to you. I know too well how much this hurts. Only time is able to soften the sharp edges of grief and it takes so long. Take care of yourself, and that remaining little one. Do something that makes you feel good about yourself, perhaps send a thank you to that compassionate vet. Make a small donation to yoru local humane society. I pay for the adoption of that cat that has been there the longest once a yer in memory of my little one. I do it in her name.
So know we feel your pain, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. And that little one still remaining in your care. Take it easy, be gentle to yourself, and just live one day at a time..........RIP sweet Brillo. You will be dearly missed, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Brillo, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

What a lovely, long life the two of you had together...but...where there is love, an eternity is not long enough. I will tell you the deepest Truth I know, that love does not die, it changes form, is translated and purified, and continues on, now Love. And Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides. Brillo now lives in That Place Where All Things Are Known, and she sends her Love back to walk with you down through all your days. There will be a time of rejoining for you...for all of you...for all of us. Until then, her Love is with you.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for retelling Brillo's story...she was an amazing little girl who lived a wonderful life, mostly thanks to you. I have a lot of those little boxes in my house, all out and on display, and they do represent a homecoming which can bring comfort.