Breaking the Cycle of Shame.........

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It helps to take physics and calculus simultaneously, because calculus is the math that describes physics. It's almost impossible (at least for me) to do math when I don't know how to apply it. Things like derivatives only make sense when you can see how the equations for energy, power & work (for example) relate to each other.

But of course physics and calc together is a lot of work! The rest of your credits need to be incredibly simple fun things with no homework, like juggling or papercutting 101, just to balance it all out.

Otherwise your brain explodes.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very proud of you, for having begun the process of overcoming a dreadful experience of your youth. I was fortunate in having parents who cared and were supportive, but subsequently I've heard several stories similar to yours — beatings by parents when expectations weren't met.

I hated mathematics in the past, I hate mathematics now and I shall continue to hate mathematics. Left-brained stuff has never appealed to me. But that you should have been beaten, for disliking something which is hated by at least 75% of all people who've ever lived, is a tragedy. I'm thrilled you're making such progress now!

Nena, that little kitten singing on the piano keyboard is adorable!

:tounge2:

=^..^=

shawna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hissy that's fantastic!! It won't be easy, but keep on trudging and remember you're doing this for YOU and aim for a personal best not what your father would have expected you to.

It was exactly the same for me as Adymarie; my grade 10 teacher passed me on condition I never took math again. Can you believe it? I never graduated from high school in '86 because I didn't have math; I hated it, and felt so stupid when faced with a bunch of numbers and letters that I just didn't understand. My Dad never beat me, but he was really critical of my performance in shcool; I'd bring home a B that I was really proud of and he'd say "why didn't you get an A?" Bringing home C's and C-'s in math didn't go down very well. Anyway, I went back to night school, took math, and got my high school diploma in '98 . It wasn't easy and took a while to do but I did it. Now I'm at uni, no no math attempted yet, but reading your success story inspires me to maybe tackle it again! You go girl!
:kitty5:
:girly2: