Brain Tumor

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
Hey guys,

Just wanting to get things off my chest. Have two male cats, one 13 and the other 12. This forum has been amazing to me in terms of support as age takes over both of them.

My 12-year old tabby started developing all the telltale signs of neurological issues three weeks ago: twitching/hind leg tremors, lethargy, and then the occasional aloofness. A week after, he started developing wobbly legs in the rear and struggled to use the litter and jump up the sofa/bed. Fast forward to two weeks thereafter (current), he can no longer walk or stand up. He is very lethargic and often meows which I associate is pain and tiredness. He is constantly urinating and defacating on himself. Yet my boy still shows rigor in his eyes but he's telling me it's time. My mother is elder and takes care of my cats as I have to often travel for work so I took him to the vet today and it didn't take the vet more than 5 mins to make the diagnosis. I feared it was something neurological, but you go into that environment grasping at even a glimpse or sliver of a hope will prevail. Alas, it didn't...

I suspect I will have a few days/week with him before I have to put him down. It's absolute agony as for the last four years I have been unable to care for him directly given my job. Other side of the coin is he has been a blessing to my mother whom is elderly and lives alone. I often worry about her own well-being and these two boys have undoubtedly been a blessing to her. We have given him such an amazing life and he in return has bestowed us 10X that in terms of his love, presence and by gosh some amazing jumps with the wand in his youth. I hold him my right arm as I write this shedding tears as I write this. I'm a guy, touting myself as a pretty strong one at that, but I can't help but breakdown from this.

Lastly, please hug your cats/family/friends knowing that there will be a time where we all depart. Don't take it for granted. I wish them all a long life full of happiness and lots of canned food (the cats and even maybe some weird friends) Thank you again for giving me this platform to discuss. I am sure I will come back to time after time to remember. I wish you all nothing but the best.

-Neil

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and your mother. I want you to know you gave that boy the thing he wanted most in this world, to be loved and have a wonderful home.
This will be one of the hardest things you will have to go through, it is something you never 'get over' you get through it. Somehow you will find the strength you need to end the suffering that will come, your sweet boy will let you know when. He will no longer be living, he will be existing.....don't let his end be more important than his life, that can never be. Love is spiritual, so eternal, his love will forever be a part of your soul. Please come to our Crossing the Bridge forum when the end comes, and post a tribute to that wonderful life. We will support in the way only those who have stood in your shoes can, I will pray for you all, may God grant him a peaceful end......

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are facing this. Having dealt with neurological issues in animals, I can say that you are absolutely making the right choice for him. There is no baseline to which he will ever return and no treatment that will reverse any of this which leaves you with the hardest thing to do which is to let him be at peace.

You and your mother have given him and his companion cat an amazing life and he has understood for every minute of it how much you both love him. My father lived into advanced old age with a small poodle who lived to be almost 20. When we had to let her go, my father surprisingly felt a sense of relief that she was at peace and gratitude that he was able to have seen her through life with protection and love. I hope that your mother will be able to think back on the happy parts of your boy's life and remember the love that they shared.

If I should ever leave you whom I love
To go along the Silent Way,
Grieve not,
Nor speak of me with tears,
But laugh and talk
Of me as if I were beside you there.
(I‘d come-I‘d come, could I but find a way!
But would not tears and grief be barriers?)
And when you hear a song or
See a bird I loved,
Please do not let the thought of me be sad...
For I am loving you just as I always have...
You were so good to me!
There are so many things I wanted still
To do—so many things to say to you...
Remember that I did not fear—
It was just leaving you that was so hard to face...
We cannot see Beyond...
But this I know:
I loved you so -
Twas heaven here with you!

Isla Paschal Richardson

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
Thank you for your kind words. I put him down today. I was blessed with seven wonderful days by his side. I fed him, bathed him and held him every moment I could without regret that I was able to be there for him when he most needed it.

I am heart-broken and regretful. I am heart-broken because I considered him closer to my mother than me given my distance away from him. Upon the last week he has been absolutely attached to me as he was when he was younger. While I will cherish this last week with him to eternity, I am regretful that I was unable to take responsibility of his care due to my professional obligations. He has translated his pain and suffering over to us in grief.

My beautiful beautiful boy has left me and I grieve...

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart aches for your pain, please come to our Crossing the Bridge forum and post a tribute to your beautiful little one. May God bless him and accept him in His arms for eternity......

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no words to ease your pain, it's terrible, I know.
The only consolation you have is that he isn't suffering anymore, all is perfect now for him, and he knows how much you loved him.
All the best to you and your mother.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Please do not fret over the fact that you had to go to work....the quality of the life you gave him far exceeds that. I hope that your mother will be able to deal with his passing.