Boy or Girl

ruby6689

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Can anyone help me tell the sex of my 7 week old kitten please? I thought girl when I viewed it at 3 weeks but now totally unsure. 

She is of questionable parentage with the mother said to be Ragdoll and father Burmese. I found it on a local facebook post. The owner does not breed for profit as the kittens are 'free to good home'.

I do not condone byb and have only had adult rescues for the last 15 years. I have always wanted a Ragdoll but every time our household is looking for a new member a rescue has always found it's way into our hearts and home.  When I saw this beautiful baby I just couldn't help myself. It is probably the closest I am ever going to get to that Ragdoll....lol.

It was love at first sight, boy, girl doesn't matter.  I have a vet appointment for the 23rd but I would love to be able to give it a real name now.

Also how would you describe it. DSH? DMH?

Thank you

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that's a boy.

It's too early to say for sure on his coat now, at 7 weeks he's still got his kitten fluff, but it looks more DSH than DMH.

Beautiful kitten, you sometimes get really special looking cats from these questionable parentage mixes.

So what names have you got in mind?

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like a male to me.  You can see where the scrotum is, in that darker patch.

I think kitten will probably turn out to be a short hair, but it can be hard to tell with that kitten coat. 

I'm just glad the "breeder" didn't decide to make up a cutesy name for her mixed bred kittens and try to sell them for a thousand dollars a pop...you know, all those whatever-a-poo dogs there are now.

Of course, YOU should feel free to make up a cutesey name for the mixed breed as long as he gets the snip snip!  I don't mind a bit when people make up names for mixed-breed dogs out of love, it's when it's a marketing device trying to pretend that it's not a mutt that angers me.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is definitely a boy.

I'm not really good at predicting wether a kitten will be a short hair or not (Because I breed medium haired cats), but if I compare it to my kittens at that age, it seems to go towards short hair. It's possible the tail will remain a bit more fluffy, but overall is probably going to be short.

Beautiful seal point boy, I hope you will have a very good time with him <3 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruby6689

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Norachan, I have seen his 8 month old sibling and he is a DSH and has a beautiful light brown coat with greyer points, Mum is a cream grey (is this called blue?) colour point and Dad is a beautiful caramel seal point. This ones coat is changing by the day and getting darker. It will be interesting to see what colour he ends up.

Kat Hamlin, I hate those silly dog breed names too, not the dogs, I love all dogs but really getting silly now with the 'designer' mongrels and I cannot believe the prices charged here in Australia. My two are definite rescue mongrels! The Vet's receptionist asked me what breed it was and I said put down 'Ragamese' my Vet will get a good laugh at that. The kitten will definitely be desexed as soon as possible, there are too many unwanted animals in shelters looking for forever homes, all my animals are desexed.

Biancavd, he is much fluffier than what it looks like in the photo but I too feel he will be short haired like his older brother. I don't really care, my other rescue has a long coat.

One thing I do know is we are in for many years of pleasure watching him grow and develop his personality. My husband is just as besotted as I am. I had some issues with my very jealous dog but the kitten is amazing and takes absolutely no notice and the now play together under a very watchful eye. Ruby the old dog gets her tail ambushed constantly but couldn't care less and Mittens the cat is just beautiful with him.

Thank you all for your help.

Now to think of a name?????? Millie just won't work on a girl....lol

Last edited: