Bottom Of Cat Mouth

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so our Sunny buns has been with us for a year and a half. He started off slim, pudged up a teeny bit, and then once we added a kitten a year ago (and two more 7 months ago), he slimmed down again as time went by. He eats wet food and dry food (but highly prefers wet food). He's pretty darn light compared to the rest of the chubby crew that I have.

Anyway, I noticed the bottom of his mouth seems to have these lumps I haven't noticed on a cat before. And so I managed to take a picture tonight- and then noticed that from looking at the picture, it looks like he doesn't have bottom teeth in the back?! Am I missing something?!

Side note, his freckles have appeared as he's aged :p

20171015_222414.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really does need a vet's attention. While cats can have black patches in their mouths, they generally don't change a WHOLE lot after the cat matures, and lumps should never be ignored. You don't want to take any chances here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm not crazy, it DOES look weird, right??

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just for the record, he's only about 2.5, and the black freckles have popped up in the last year or so. From what I know, that's pretty common- especially with orange tabbys.

My mother said those lumps are just his "glands". But I just haven't noticed that on a cat before.

I will be taking him into the vet, but I also like to do some sleuthing before hand!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That makes me feel better about the black spots. He's young yet.

Your mom is probably right that the lumps are glands, but they really shouldn't be so noticeable. Let me know what the vet says!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, so apparently he just doesn't have teeth down there. They have no idea if he was like that when we adopted him or not- it was never mentioned before!!! And they had no idea why. But other than that, he's healthy. So now he just gets a diet of soft foods, poor guy.
I feel bad- he never begs for food (like all the other fatty cats! lol), so I didn't think he had trouble eating. Today I watched him try to eat dry food, and he just picked one up and swallowed it whole. :frown:
So he gets special bathroom feedings now. Poor baby!!!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to post a larger picture?

Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to be seeing a vet this week, for sure.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did, today! No real answers- just that nope, he doesn't have teeth. And he's healthy otherwise (if not a teeny bit underweight).

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has all his top teeth! Which is why it's so weird he doesn't have any bottom teeth.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness knows what the poor guy went through before he landed in a soft and loving place! I'm just thrilled that he is happy and well cared for!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's definitely in a soft and loving place!!! :D:redheartpump:
(my daughter's face is cropped out for privacy :p)

Suns.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwwwwww!

And may I say I applaud your cropping your daughter's face. While I think most of the core members here are safe as houses, who knows what non-registered guests might actually be up to? Sadly, even here, we are not immune to trolls, spammers, scammers and the like. The team tries their utmost to get them off as soon as we spot them, but...yeah. Be safe, always!