Both Cats Sick, Need Help/experience ( Prednisolone And Metro Questions)

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys, posted recently about my two kitties suddenly getting sick within 24 hours of each other both very healthy before whatever this is( minus my Boys food allergies which have been controlled over a year now and since his sister is sick too I don’t think that’s what it is)

So as a brief update they both are still having diarreha after 5 days.

My girls hasn’t pooped in two days not but is eating and acting normal and peeing normal

My boy is what’s freaking me out. He had diarreha four days in a row. Blood tests normal, no fever, no pancreas inflammation, stool sample is clean. He has a perfect poop this morning after four days( all I have been giving him is slippery elm) and then tonight he has horrible diarreha again

WHAT do you think would cause a good poop and then back to the problem.... so confused

The vet gave me prednisolone and metrodiozole and I want any opinions on both of these. I have heard AWFUL things about metro and don’t want to try it yet, started the pred tonight, do you think this could help him?? Scared the problem will return after meds if it does.

Who has used metro and pred and thoughts?? Thinking of asking the vet for Tylosin instead of metro as I heard it’s safer. I don’t give my cats meds ever so I’m very scared.

Also they both eat different food, my boy eats fancy feast pates( somestimes his sister eats it as well but not a lot) and I’m wondering if maybe the FF is tainted? Been hearing issues lately with FF.

So basically just need thoughts on the meds, if anyone is having issues with fancy feast lately, and if anyone thinks they knows what could cause sudden illness in both cats showing normal lab results....( no they didn’t get into a toxin or poison)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry that you haven't gotten any responses from members on this site yet - I hope they will soon read your post and start providing you with some guidance that I am unable to offer.

In the meantime, just as a precaution, if I were you I would toss out the FF and use other foods they both like.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This happened to my boys a few months ago. They eat different foods, but one day one of them stopped eating completely and had diarrhea. Then the next day the other cat had the exact same symptoms. While it subsided in the first cat within 36 hours, it did NOT in the 2nd cat, so we whisked him off to the Vet. Nothing :frown:. I mean, don't get me wrong, part of me was happy there was nothing wrong, but then again, I wanted a reason WHY this was happening. I had to force feed him to get some calories into him, and while that caused him to start eating again, it didn't help his diarrhea. Once he started eating again I added one packet of FortiFlora per day to his food, which normally works for him when he gets diarrhea from antibiotics, but it continued unabated for several more days. We were to the point where Metro was the next step when miraculously it went away. Then just day before yesterday same thing happened with that cat, only it lasted just 24 hours and he's again back to normal.

So...I haven't yet given my cats Metro or Pred, but if your Vet recommended them at this time, and if you completely trust your Vet and discussed the use and WHY it might be good to use in this case instead of something else, then I would probably use them. Your girl may not need anything. If she had diarrhea and now hasn't pooped in two days, it could be she was so cleared out that she simply doesn't have enough stool in her system to pass yet. (firm stool). So I'd wait on giving her anything. You could try using a different food for your boy and see what happens. Was anything at different when he had the solid poop. A different food, or even just a different protein in the same brand of food? I know FF Pates have changed and now they are adding fish to almost all of them. Last time I bought it I noticed even just the chicken feast and the beef feast had fish in them, even though it doesn't say so on the front label :argh:. At that time, only the turkey and giblets was fish free. If he has issues with salmon, he might have issues with other fish too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses! The vet called today and said they both were positive for and over growth of clostridium bacteria, not sure the cause, but that does cause sudden diarreha.

The vet told me to give pred, metro, and proviable DC probiotic for 10 days, and I’m praying to GOD that helps them. I don’t think this bacteria can go away on its own soo I need to give them something to kill it inside. Just terrified because I have never given either kittt meds before and this is a lot and scared of bad side effects:( they got the first dose tonight and ok so far but it’s only been an hour.

I’m praying it goes away l, sometimes I heard this bacteria can come back, and I have no clue what could’ve caused it. Vet said not the food because they’ve been on the same food a year with no problems. I figure since they both have it, it’s not my boys food allergies.

The FF did change some stuff in the summer and there are only 4 pates now with no fish, and the change was in July so I don’t see that being the reason for this sudden change this weekend. Vet said no way to tell how they got it. But if this treatment doesn’t work, they may need Tylan powder or fecal transplant pills

Hoping to god this treatment helps and no aide effects:(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't prescribe an antibiotic? That's what my vet gave Demi for his diarrhea and it cleared it right up.

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he prescribed metrodiozole, which I just heard has bad side effects, but I gave it to them starting tonight. Is that was your kitty took? What was the cause of his diarreha M maggiedemi

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was caused by bacteria because I wasn't changing his litter often enough. :(
I think the antibiotic was Amoxicillin.

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh super interesting, I’m thinking that’s what mine could be from too, I never change their litter often which was my mistake. How did you find out that’s what it was and did the vet tell you which bacteria? Was it clostridium?

I bought them a new box and everything and won’t make that mistake again M maggiedemi

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the bacteria was called. But it was pretty obvious it was from the litter. I'll never make that mistake again!

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you bring in a fecal sample and that’s how your vet diagnosed the bacterial infection? M maggiedemi

Man I feel bad for never thinking of doing stuff like that!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I didn't bring in a poop sample. I think he just diagnosed him by his symptoms, and I was honest with him about not changing the litter very often. This vet was really great, he cured Demi for $100.