Bored Indoor Cats (one Is Blind)

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Poppy is 17 months old and has lost her sight, Milo is 11 months old.

They are indoor cats and I work full time. I'm not worried about them during the day as when I've had a day off they'll either sleep or potter.

But when I get home I just can't get Poppy to play. It's been SO hot lately that even Milo will only play fetch three times before panting so we're a bit restricted with what we can do.

However, Poppy has started whinging and scratching my bed as soon as I put my light out. She goes through phases of when she whinges/what she does and this phase is the worst one! I have been putting them out of my bedroom if she starts around 1-3am but its not fair on Milo who is pretty good at night, apart from forcing snuggles on me :-)

Poppy only likes a few toys and seems to have gone off them all. She's such an amazing cat that I hate the thought of her being bored. I think she went through depression when she lost her sight, and came through the other end so now I just need to make sure she is fulfilled.

I'm less worried about Milo as he is very good at entertaining himself and because he can see, I can play with him easier.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most cats are fascinated by Da Bird. And since the "prey" is interchangeable, you can always attach something with a bell on it for Poppy. She might enjoy a toy that moves like "real" prey.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my first evil thought (for the hamster) is to buy a pair of robo hamsters. Just be sure to get a quiet hamster wheel (the flying saucer kind) because those little robo hamsters can run (and in the wild can run up to 100 miles a night... really!) I think they would make great entertainment for a blind cat. Why? Cats can hear every little squeak, rustle & burrow (even the little noises we humans can't hear.) your cats can smell them to. That or some feeder mice might work but I would research first. in all fairness I think robo hamsters are terrible pets for people and if my cats terrified one, I would not care. So I'm biased against the desert vermin.

I would also buy a flashing ball to see if your cat still has some sight. I'm sure you thought of noise making toys. A jingle collar on the cat that can see, might help your other cat feel secure. I would try a toy that is automatic (like mystery motion toy) if you could attach some noise making item to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I tried a flashing ball last night - she liked the texture (rubber) but Milo loved the light! She knew it was there - I think she retains a bit of night vision but not much at all.

She likes a clockwork mouse, but it doesn't run too well on carpet so I tried a remote control rat - they both HATE it, I feel really cruel using it but do so every now and then to get them used to it.

That's a good idea about the collar on Milo, as he belts Poppy around the face which annoys me. However, she has pinned him down before and just stood with her paw on him so she can put him in his place if needs be lol. She is quite aware of where he is as her other senses have kicked in big style.

I've ordered a couple of things from Amazon - a ball which flashes and makes a noise, and also a rotating da bird kind of thing.

She will occasionally play with a toy on the end of a stick with a bell on but has to be in the mood.

I had pet rats when she first came to live with me and she was SO good with them, never tried to get in the cage or anything. I think I will spare the robo hamsters lol. However, that has given me an idea and see if I can get anything that rolls in a ball but is clockwork - i think you can get fake hamsters in balls.

I know I've posted about Poppy before but its such hard work getting her to play and we've exhausted many options, we have SO many toys.........