Bored Cat Chewing Wires

Pinkie3.1415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an active cat. He needs lots of playtime, somewhere in the hours range, or he gets destructive. He just started chewing on wires. He only seems to do it while I'm around to get attention, but I'm still worried. Bitter spray did not faze him at all. The only toy he wants to play with is the cat teaser, I can't play with him all the time. I recently bought some new toys, a mouse that squeaks when hit and a tunnel. They were instant hits. Mr. Kitty played for hours. He was so tired he let me finish my midterm project. The next day he couldn't care less, back to chewing wires and destroying everything in sight. I play with him alot, at least an hour everyday. I'm not sure what to do to keep him from electrocuting himself.

clauds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little one used to have this issue. She always went for the thinner cords and destroyed 3+ phone chargers. However she is over the cord chewing phase after a few weeks!
Here's my suggestion/ideas:
1. I don't know how old your cat is, but if he's young, he might be going through his teething stage. This was my kitty's problem, considering the fact that she started chewing on cords around 4-5 months of age.
2. If the cords are very visible, I'd recommend taping them to the wall or to the floor.
3. I used cord protectors (any brand will do, I bought them off of Amazon) to cover cords that cannot be taped.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats chew out of stress and others just because they like the feel. The best thing to do is to get cord covers, they come for both thick cords and thin cords and cover every cord the cat can get to.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little minion chewed on cords while he was teething a lot. I stopped leaving my charging cord out .... especially the charging end for some reason. He stopped!

At the same time I gave him silvervine sticks and thick straws to chew on. I think you should look for wand or da bird toys and be the bird twice a day. Get the toy to be a bird..... hop the toy on the ground then get it to fly and then land on something and take off. For hyper cats, especially young cats I always recomend a bird feeder outside, preferably by a window perch for your cat. That way the cat can look out the window and see birds nibbling at the the feeder and flying away. For super hyper cats I recomend daily harness walks. My teen kittens loves to look out the screen door of my sliding glass door every afternoon (he can’t get out but he likes the fresh air and sounds.)