Wire Chewing

TayDu66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. My husband and I are hoping someone can help us out because we are both at our wits end.

We have 2 female cats, one is 3 and the other is 2. Our 2 year old cat chews wires - as in completely chews through and has destroyed multiple electronics. We have paid quite a lot of money in her 2 years of life to fix things and even sometimes had to throw perfectly good things away because we can’t fix the wires she’s chewed through. She typically goes after the smaller wires (HDMI cords, sound bar cords, laptop cords, etc). We have put tubing around practically every cord in our house but she still seems to somehow manage to every now and then get them out and chew on them while we’re not home or asleep.

We have no idea what else to do and we are looking for any help or if anyone has a cat that does this. I have never had a cat do anything like this before.

HELP!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you tried PVC pipe?
Maybe with additional bitter apple spray at the ends where the pipe might not completely cover?

Kittyloverr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perhaps try spraying an unpleasant smell on the cables? Cats usually hate the smell of citrus, try rubbing citrus oil, or bitter apple spray as FurBallsMom suggested, on the cables. My cat used to do this, but she quickly stopped as soon as I started rubbing the citrus on my cables. The smell literally made her reel backwards.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try thicker tubing. Hardware stores sell plastic tubing in various thicknesses. Or try PVC pipe as suggested although if a cord has one of those huge block plug ends and the cord is not detachable from the device, rigid PVC tubing won't work unless you can saw a slit down the length of the tube just wide enough to slip the cord in.

Unplug and put away as many cords as possible when the device is not in use. It's a pain to do but will keep the cat from chewing on them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We painted the cords with Tabasco sauce, the red kind so we could see what we'd done and what we hadn't. With your kits I'd suggest using it on the cord covers. Note - I knew one cat who liked the taste of Tabasco.

ChrissyP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I to am having the same problem and have tried it all with no success. Mine even chewed up the cable tv wire in the basement on top of the freezer. Also trying to eat the cpap machine hose.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have 4 kittens all approaching 1 year old. But I had this struggle early on! I tried everything, bitter apple spray, reinforced wires, yelling no, and many more things! The one thing that actually worked to discourage the behavior altogether and break the habit was Tabasco sauce that you get at the grocery store. I have yet to meet a cat that likes spicy things. It was actually entertaining for me because Otis, my oldest one, tried to lick some off the cord and did this slow backwards walk with his eyes shut and his mouth open :crackup:

I only had to apply this stuff to the wires once about 4 months ago and ever since then I have no issues with cats chewing wires and I don't even have to put the stuff on anymore!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that chews wires. I bought some harness wire protector from the auto store, completely drenched it in bitter apple and put a large area rug over the wires and surge protector. Seems to have stopped her (for now). She doesn't like the consistency and the way the harness crunches.
If she starts again, I will try the Tabasco sauce.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you might need a better quality tubing. We go through cables here too. I replaced my iphone wire with a steel wrapped wire. Not cheap and much shorter than the one from apple but my cat can't make a dent in the cable. It has a plastic nub where it plugs in and he has made dents but it still functions.

Meanwhile you should try to determine what is causing the chewing- is it boredom/ anxiety, a dental issue or even hunger.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
We painted the cords with Tabasco sauce, the red kind so we could see what we'd done and what we hadn't. With your kits I'd suggest using it on the cord covers. Note - I knew one cat who liked the taste of Tabasco.
I'm sure spooky would lick it off and like it

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She eats first thing in the morning and I go to work and the person I live with tells me I have to keep her in my room I play with her before I leave and I feel bad I get home at 2:30 pm

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm tired I work with kids for 2 1/2 hours and I'm on my feet shes a cuddle bug when I get home she gets out of the room when I'm here too and sometimes when I'm not. She has so many toys my old shoes she plays with and plenty of space and a window she's at all day

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm have you tried giving her stuff she can chew on? Like rawhide chew sticks (in case it is a chew/dental thing.) Or those editable string treats by ?friskies? Some nice rabbit fur mice? Puppy Chew toys? (Replace the puppy chew toys if they start looking really worn before she chews through them.)

Also my twerp loves to chew on the ends of my charging cords. So I started tucking the ends into a tissue box and his habit stopped. Since your cat is so big on chewing I would try the Tabasco sauce. If that fails maybe some harbeno sauce? :devilish:

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm have you tried giving her stuff she can chew on? Like rawhide chew sticks (in case it is a chew/dental thing.) Or those editable string treats by ?friskies? Some nice rabbit fur mice? Puppy Chew toys? (Replace the puppy chew toys if they start looking really worn before she chews through them.)

Also my twerp loves to chew on the ends of my charging cords. So I started tucking the ends into a tissue box and his habit stopped. Since your cat is so big on chewing I would try the Tabasco sauce. If that fails maybe some harbeno sauce? :devilish:
I'm sure my ahole cat will enjoy it she would probably look at me funny

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't know you can give cats rawhide doesn't it splinter and they will choke on them I'll try the dental sticks but I'm sure she won't eat them or green beans she likes those

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes rawhide chews they sell for dogs should be fine for cats. I have given it to my cats before with no accidents .... but they were just teething. They recommend dog chew toys for cats with PICA.
Your cat isn’t trying to be a jerk, I swear! Just like my kitty isn’t being a jerk when he unwinds and shreds half of a mega roll of toilet paper. He was just bored and stressed from me leaving him alone all day (he is super attached and usually with me 24/7!) I would just try to find alternatives that your cat can chew (a yes) while using wire covers and Tabasco sauce (a no.) BTW you might want to unplug every cord you can (especially the ones she chews on the most) just to prevent accidental electrocutions.