Boots just got out of surgery.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 12 year old Boots, whom I adopted november of 2018, was burping, belching and hacking up clear liquid. I brought him to the vet early this morning and he was put under the sleeping gas because the vet believed he had swallowed something. I got a call 10 minutes ago saying he had tunors in his throat. His tonsils were removed and he will be picked up at 3pm. Its 1:40 here right now. I am worried. They tissue is being sent to the lab. I dont want him suffering, but i want to go on the side of life and dont believe in anesthesia unless theres no possible way he could live another month. Im worried because im 26, dont have alot of money, but hes worth it so i guess whatever. Im just so worried. He sleeps with me every night and the last 2 nights he wouldnt come in by me. Im wondering if anyone has experiencd with throat cancers in cats. Im not sure yet exactly what he has but will be explained to me at 3. So worried.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they removed the tumors so he'll will be doing MUCH better soon. His throat will be sore so he'll probably only eat wet food for a bit.... Did they remove the tumors or just his tonsils?
But theres no need to think about putting him to sleep if he can have a good quality of life.
Keep him warm when you take him home. Like a heating pad on low. Cats sometime have a hard time regulating their body temperature after anesthesia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they removed the tumors so he'll will be doing MUCH better soon. His throat will be sore so he'll probably only eat wet food for a bit.... Did they remove the tumors or just his tonsils?
But theres no need to think about putting him to sleep if he can have a good quality of life.
Keep him warm when you take him home. Like a heating pad on low. Cats sometime have a hard time regulating their body temperature after anesthesia.
Hes home now. The test results for the tumor wont come back for a few days but the doctor isnt overly optomistic but not negative either. His jaw is clicking and they said his bite is being readjusted to some of the surgery and mass of tumor taken out. He got a good dose of a narcotic pain injection and sent home with onsoir. He also got an injection of an antibiotic. Hes very high energy and loopy right now. Hes in my room playing with toys which he usually never does. I want him to rest but i guess if he doesnt feel the need to i cant force it.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feeby has her paws crossed for you and Boots!!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: Maybe he will sleep with you tonight and then you can get him settled down to rest some!!
Thanks! Hes laying next to me right now in my room sleeping and snorring. Im not letting my dog or other cats in tonight so he can just spend some time with me. He always likes it best when its just me and him and this can be his special day. Im reading a book and laying next to him. Christmas eve is tomorrow. Good thing i only live 5 minutes away from where the family is gathering or else i would have to bring him with. I also want to mention his teeth/jaw are grinding or crunching when he chews and the vet told me its from the tumors but i didnt notice it until i just brought him home.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They removed the tonsils and the tumors visible. But if the tumors are cancerous he needs to go back next week for a more thorough surgery. He cant seem to meow or vocalize right now. Ill get more info after christmas. I think the vets are so tied up now and i live in a rural area where theres only 2 vets in one clinic in a 40, 50 mile radius.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His jaw is clicking and they said his bite is being readjusted to some of the surgery and mass of tumor taken out.
I also want to mention his teeth/jaw are grinding or crunching when he chews and the vet told me its from the tumors but i didnt notice it until i just brought him home.
You'll have to clarify with the vet when you can if the grinding/clicking is from the tumors or from the 'space' left where the tumors were. Above you said something about his jaw readjusting, so maybe the clicking will go away over time?
He cant seem to meow or vocalize right now.
This is likely due a lot to the intubation tube in this throat during surgery. It can make it hard to vocalize for a while (and, might hurt to swallow a bit) until the soreness/irritation from the tube wears off - not to mention healing of his poor little throat in general!