Booboo is confusingly not well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. I bought Boo a dome cat bed at petco, it was on clearance for 14 bucks!! It is deep red. He wants nothing to do with it. Broke my heart and I got really discouraged. But may he will like it after the newness smell wears off. In other news, he's doing alright but really doesn't want to be bothered today. It was already up in the 80's by 10am and I didn't take him outside, not to mention the other 4 cats out there. In any case, things are alright right now.
I am hoping to get his first appt with the new vet this Friday. Exams run from 44-55 bucks depending on what all they want to do. I just wanted a consult to get back on the right foot with Boo so I am guessing they will want to run a panel. We will see and I will update.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I have not got back to you but I was at a show since friday.
My poor Coco threw up 3 times on the way home yesterday and is not feeling well.
We forgot one of her CRF meds when we went to SoCal.
I hope Boo is doing better my Coco is hardly eating anything.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You know how cats are with new toys, beds, etc. sometimes they love em, sometimes they could care less. Perhaps it's too hot right now for an enclosed bed. Maybe if you just act like you don't care if he likes it or not, he'll eventually check it out. or maybe Chickster will like it. One year I bought 2 of those donut beds, and at first they were a big hit (for about 2 weeks),and no one has been in them now for about 3 years!! I've tried moving them to different places around the house, doesn't make any difference. I might as well toss them in the trash. (except now I've decided they make good toyboxes
)

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it is is just so frustrating. He is going in it by himself now! But he is NOT laying down. He looks kind of like, "Is this another dang cage to take me to the vet in?" I aimed one of the small fans towards the entrance to give him so cooler air, because it IS a little warm for a domed bed. This one is the thin one http://www.petco.com/product/110022/...-Red-Wine.aspx
He is finally laying in it but now he's running around and wanting to go outside. I just wish I knew what to do for his itching. Any energy hes' gaining from food he's using up running around like this. I don't know.

I bought one of those little sunken dog beds (Mom did) for Boo and he laid in it for about a week and it was over. No one will touch it now. I'm like, "What's wrong with it, it's perfectly good, it's so soft!!! Ugh!!"

I've got so much STUFF around here. Cardboard boxes mostly! Lol

Mews I am so sorry to hear about Coco. I hope she starts feeling better soon. I know you must be very worried. and thinking of you

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay. So I'm concerned. He most likely is running downstairs to the pan, and running back up, because he's got a bit of energy but I am assuming it is because he thinks something in the carpet is getting him. I've searched high and low and can't find a thing. Chickster is still not itching. She's just fine.
He collapsed twice today, being out of breath and just nearly going limp. I'm just worried. Is this from the anemia, and I suppose if he's got non-regenerative anemia that the pet-tinic isn't going to help a dern thing?

*sigh*

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
Coco ate more today but she is not feeling well.
Did the vet say anything about doing a blood transfusion?
My cats had them before and it helped.
Coco breathes heavy at times also but she is 18.
I bet the anemia is making it hard for Boo to breathe.
Has the vet ever mentioned procrit and winstrol.
It was used for Stripe when she was anemic from her CRF.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she mentioned blood transfusions and some type of med, was it procrit? But the blood transfusions are 200-300 bucks a pop and only last for a couple weeks. I have absolutely no funds to cover that at this time. This was from the new vet when I went in by myself without Boo to consult with her about his numbers. She was not happy with his anemia. I don't think the pet-tinic is working. We've been giving it for about 2 weeks I think.
He finally slept in his tent, but when we went outside for a little while today I noticed he has a sore on the back of his rear leg on the right side. There is no hair on his lower belly or between his legs, I did not shave there nor did anyone else, there is just no hair. Bald as a baby butt. But on the rear of his flank he has a bit of hair, but this looks like he has chewed it until it has made a sore. He was not in a very good mood today so I will look at it closer in the morning and try to put some neosporin or something on it very lightly. I haven't caught him chewing at it. I am sure I will find out a lot of things at the new vet that I probably do not want to hear.

Thing is, Boo is doing great when he walks normally and sits and lays. He is fine. But when he runs down two flights of 8 stairs each to go to the pan (I am not sure why he is running, like I said, I think maybe he thinks there are fleas in the carpet making him itch) and then trots back up, he then collapses, almost like he does not realize he cannot do that anymore. Maybe he doesn't.
I tried putting a pan in my bedroom for him but he refuses to use it. I will try a different pan in the morning.

Thank you everyone.
It is just disheartening to see him so itchy and seemingly uncomfortable. He is also scratching at his cheeks now. He could have an imbalance of some chemical in his body causing this, but without a decent 21st century test (Sorry, I'm getting bitter about some things) I won't have a clue.

I hope Coco feels better now that she is back on her medicine. Perhaps she will perk up by tomorrow or the next day.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is new to me. Liver? Did your Stripe have non-regenerative anemia? My old vet told me aside from the blood transfusions that there was nothing to make his anemia go up, but with it staying at 13% and even going up from 11% I am not sure if he has non-regenerative. Of course none of that is a formal Dx, because no specific test was run for it, which I believe does exist. The old vet said he had non-regenerative. But, I'm not sure.

I will write this on my paper to consult with the new vet. I am still hopeful for a Friday appt, but I HAVE to see a certain Doctor, I will not do with anyone other than Dr. Pierce right now. I trust her, so I am praying she is at work on Friday.

He is doing pretty well today but we are not going outside. It is getting ready to rain, it is humid and there was mosquitoes out there. I do not want him getting any diseases or anything from them. The window is open for him to sit in however. He had his fluids and was purring, Mom said he walked into her room and just talked to her for awhile. She got him water and food, and I tempted him with some more but he wasn't really hungry. He scratched on his post. From all indications everything looks good at this point, still.
Boo will lean in his backside every once in awhile, and for some reason he slides when he jumps on surfaces. I don't know if it's becaus he's using his claws or NOT using his claws, or just general weakness, but he hasn't fallen off of anything in a few days so that's good.

Thank you all. We've got to rest, it's been one of those days. I can't seem to pull my stuff together!!!

Mews I hope Coco is feeling better <3

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm still wondering if he might have allergies or something and that's why he seems to itch. Maybe you could ask the new Vet about that. I read on another post here about Benedryl for cats (didn't read the entire post so don't know if they were saying it's ok or not, but it's worth the question)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will have to go through stripes paperwork and see what she was on.
Maybe I will find some info that will help Boo.
Coco ate last night but coughs and like Boo is weak in the legs and she has lost more weight I can tell.
Ask the new vet about winstrol or procrit.
It did help Stripe.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will certainly ask, about everything. I have 3 pages here for her to go through, most of it typed up. I will add all of this now. Thank you guys so much. Mews, I hope Coco is ok, she is in my thoughts

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine? Boo is 13 going on 14 sometime soon. He was doing okay today but rested a lot in his tent and I only saw him lick himself once or twice because of itchiness, so maybe it is calming down. He ate well today and drank well today. Can't wait for the appt! I nearly forgot (Having one of those weeks again
)

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WEakness in back legs can be a sign of low potassium, which is common with CRF.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Boo's last numbers, which were on the image display of the handheld ISTAT machine the vet brought in (I had mentioned before I don't think he even printed them out, he was 100% sure this cat would be dead in 2 weeks at the time) but I wrote down most of them, some of them he said "Ok" to so fast and I was distraught thinking he was going to die, so I only wrote down OK:

Sodium OK
Potassium OK
CHLO (? Chloride, Chlorine?) OK

BUN 102

GLU 159 (Vet said this was fine)

Hct% 13 (Unchanged)
Hb* 4.4 up from 3.7

The BUN was up I am almost positive because I had been letting him eat more Purina One dry than I should've been. But the lowest it has been, which was the test BEFORE this one was 77. That was when he was put on Hi-Tor Neo wet, which I order from PetFoodDirect.com (Sometimes I get it for 19.99 and free shipping, sometimes upwards of 30 depending on sales and promos)

his anemia actually went up on the 2nd visit before this one, it was at 11%, then it went up to 13%. I'm not sure about the Hb* really. I'm not sure if that's bad. But I know what is bad, and that this vet doesn't test for phos levels and I couldn't even get a T3 test they only did T4 test (I t hink it's a T3 test, that should be run in conjuction with a T4)

My new vet is much more capable and has more experience with CRF cats, and is willing to research. So. Hopefully tomorrow we will get some ANSWERS!! and some proactive MEASURES!!!

AS for today, Boo purred during fluids, I gave him 100 plus just a smidge, I know it was less than 20, maybe just 10. Just a smidge under the line. His skin turgor is like it always is, it doesn't snap back like mine but is unchanged. His skin is saggy anyway, so....

He is jumping well. I see no weakness. He went pee after he had a little (LITTLE
) treat of Purina One (after his fluids) and then he went to his window. He peed a normal amount, but is really liking his tent. I tried to tempt him to go outside this morning (Before the sqeeters came out) but he wasn't really interested I don't think. He greeted me and wanted water from the tub, this morning, and when I went in the bathroom he started mewing like CRAZY it was sweet. (A "Hey great water how ya doin' missed ya" meow, not a "God I'm going to thirst to death woman!" meow)

I am still wondering, why was he drinking so much water when I was giving him 200mL? Now that we've gone down to 100mL, he drinks water, but it isn't nearly as much, I think his body is finally adjusting. Before, he was getting wet food, drinking tub water and getting too much fluids. So this all compounded on top of each other to cause his near drowning.

But now he is getting fluids and I think, compensating for anything else with a little bit of water. It's not nearly what he used to drink. He's had his pet tinic (Which he is growing to hate)

I need to get him to eat some wet food. My mother is yapping my head off about what I need to do and blahblahblah ... aaaaaah so tired!

Boo is resting easily and just ate some wet, a goodly amount again. He was sleeping well, I wish I would not have woken him (Mom again, :T)

I hope to have some news for you guys by tomorrow afternoon. His appt is at 10AM across town, so I will update ASAP.

Thank you

for everything