Bonding With A Tiny Kitten Who Just Wants To Play

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

altairose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update - I think the kitten is now doing fine. She hasn't vomited since yesterday evening, and today she did really well with eating, drinking, peeing and pooping. Yes, I do have a sample of her previous food. She also 'escaped' her room today and since the rest of the apartment has been kitten-proofed, we just let her explore. Then she spent most of the day either on my lap, sleeping in my bed, or playing.

It turned out that the 'growling' I thought she was doing was actually purring! It's a continuous puurrrr....

Now, I'm moving on to another problem - sleep. My bed's in the living room of my apartment, and we are going to sell the current bed for a larger bed. So for the next few days, I'm going to sleep in the spare room where kitty currently has her water, food, litterbox, cat tree, etc. And then, go back with my boyfriend to the living room once the new bed gets here. We are undecided on whether to let the cat sleep on the bed overnight, or to keep kitty out of the 'bedroom' overnight, but not during the rest of the day. I think the latter would be difficult because the 'bedroom' (and kitchen) is most of the apartment, and she would meow all night.

If we do have the cat sleep on the bed, I want to encourage her to sleep at the foot of the bed. But she keeps climbing upwards towards my head... And to sleep quietly. We can ignore her meows for a couple days, but I'm unsure how long they will last.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Many want to sleep by our heads, we lose heat through our heads so it's warmer and the rest of you is covered up so she's maybe trying to be close to you :hugs:. She can outgrow that as she gets older (my kitten did) or just want to sleep by your face. Could try putting a soft comfy pile of bedding a bit away from your face and see if she chooses that?
Also my latest kitten (now a year old) was too much a party kitty wanting to play and stalk and pounce to do much lap time for the first year, but as she's gotten older she likes laps.
Your kitty is still getting used to things and is young.
That is too funny about the growling/purring!! Made me smile.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad she is feeling better. :cheerleader:I would let her sleep with you, it will give her some much needed comfort. :catlove:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad she is feeling better. :cheerleader:I would let her sleep with you, it will give her some much needed comfort. :catlove:
Plus it's so comforting for us humans. Well if they don't do acrobatics while you want to sleep. I have 2 warm fuzzy soft cuddly furballs to help me sleep. One on each side.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It turned out that the 'growling' I thought she was doing was actually purring! It's a continuous puurrrr....
Classic! You'll look back on that mistake and smile! Some cats are so loud its almost annoying. "Shhh, I'm watching TV!"