Bob

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was responding to another thread, I realized I don't know what coat pattern Bob has. He is a Manx, with both spots and stripes. I am assuming that he has to have some kind of tabby pattern.

Sweet:

20240115_213123.jpg

Mad at Mama:

20231112_032303.jpg

Side view:

20231101_232358.jpg

The spots may become elongated as he gets bigger. They are a difficult to see in the pictures, but right now, they are there. The top picture was taken last night.

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Max is a mackerel tabby with an unusual expression of the spotted gene or a broken mackerel tabby.
Basically, cats inherit genes that determine whether they will be encoded as a mackerel tabby or a classic tabby. Then there's the spotted gene. The spotted allele acts by breaking up the already existing pattern into dashes or spots. In mild cases, you'll notice certain stripes on a mackerel tabby that seem shorter than the rest. The spotted tabby is an extreme expression of the gene. Somewhere in between the two is the broken mackerel tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We usually call this pattern for a broken mackerel. Its a variation of the mackerel gene. (mackerel in some other laguages called for striped or tigrered)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! After I answered the other thread, I went searching for Bob's pattern and couldn't find it.