Bloody Balls After Neutering?

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's only been a couple of hours since I brought him home but he leaves little blood spots everywhere and he won't stop jumping around. There's no safe place in my house with nothing to climb that's also not wet, so I can't really stop him.

His e-collar was also too small, so I got him a bigger one, but he absolutely freaked out when I put it on. He started bunny kicking me. I just worry he's pulled a stitch and can't tell the difference between normal bleeding and something more serious.

They did not use medical grade glue, and they only used dissolvable stitches. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your vet and ask about this. The bleeding doesn't sound normal to me, and if he pulled out a stitch, he may need some additional treatment. If you aren't happy about the vet's answer, call another one. You shouldn't have to worry about this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet but although that doesn't look too bad, I also can't tell if he popped a stitch. Can you contain him to one room so that he's making less of a mess?

Assuming your vet is closed for the day, you could call their regular clinic number and see if they provide an after hours emergency number so you can talk to a person. See if can you send in those photos?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet but although that doesn't look too bad, I also can't tell if he popped a stitch. Can you contain him to one room so that he's making less of a mess?

Assuming your vet is closed for the day, you could call their regular clinic number and see if they provide an after hours emergency number so you can talk to a person. See if can you send in those photos?
Not really. My house is very small and there's only the bedroom (lots of climbing space), bathroom (our faucet leaks), and the living room/kitchen (lots of hiding and climbing space).

He just won't stop being active and it really bothers me because I wish they had given the type of anesthetic that would knock him out so he could rest instead of possibly knocking out stitches. He's not very gainly with his e-collar and has fallen twice, too.

They provide emergency numbers to emergency animal hospitals, so I think I'll give that a go.

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Call your vet and ask about this. The bleeding doesn't sound normal to me, and if he pulled out a stitch, he may need some additional treatment. If you aren't happy about the vet's answer, call another one. You shouldn't have to worry about this.
I'm going to call them tomorrow. I'm just so stressed because I went to the mobile spay and neuter clinic and I wish they had used other means of anesthesia. He is hyper active. He's not even this awake on a normal day.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck, and I mean that sincerely. It's going to take a while no matter what you do. Some Feliway would help calm him down, but you would have to go get it. Do you have any catnip? Cats who love it drool and roll around on the ground. That would slow him down for a while.

Don't blame yourself for anything. No one knows how an individual cat will react to something, and you did what you thought best for your cat. Neutering is definitely the best thing.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
W wrenboii , I agree with the above posters, please send your kitty back to the vet ASAP.

A proper sutured or medically glued incision is neatly closed and not opened for better and faster healing. The photo shows like the slit is opened.

Slight bleeding is normal but if it keeps dripping blood then it's not good. Bring him back before infections set in and it'll be more troublesome if the surgery part is infected.

At the mean time, try to keep it dry and wipe off gently with a soft warm damp cloth and do not let any litter or litter dust stays on it.

Please keeps posted after the vet's visit.

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
W wrenboii , I agree with the above posters, please send your kitty back to the vet ASAP.

A proper sutured or medically glued incision is neatly closed and not opened for better and faster healing. The photo shows like the slit is opened.

Slight bleeding is normal but if it keeps dripping blood then it's not good. Bring him back before infections set in and it'll be more troublesome if the surgery part is infected.

At the mean time, try to keep it dry and wipe off gently with a soft warm damp cloth and do not let any litter or litter dust stays on it.

Please keeps posted after the vet's visit.
I took him to the ASPCA mobile spay and neuter van, and I got this pamphlet that says this:
"The surgery site on a male cat is so small that it does not need to be closed with stitches or medical grade glue. It is normal to see one or two small openings on the scrotum."
So I'm a bit confused about what is considered small?

He hasn't sat anywhere else, so I can't check yet, but I'll see if it's dripping blood or anything.

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck, and I mean that sincerely. It's going to take a while no matter what you do. Some Feliway would help calm him down, but you would have to go get it. Do you have any catnip? Cats who love it drool and roll around on the ground. That would slow him down for a while.

Don't blame yourself for anything. No one knows how an individual cat will react to something, and you did what you thought best for your cat. Neutering is definitely the best thing.
I think I'll get the Feliway tomorrow. My cat does respond to catnip... with bunny kicking. So I think I'll hold off on that, unfortunately.

And thank you. It's just been really stressful for me to watch him and not know how to stop him or what's normal. I'm really grateful for your reassurance.

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our guy was aggro from the meds and flipped out further with the ecollar ....literally bouncing off the walls and tumbled down the stairs. We had to crate him for a week which he hated. I can't tell from the photos and I'm no vet but looks like the tear may require a new application of dissolvable stitches. Good luck, hope he calms down faster than ours did. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
"The surgery site on a male cat is so small that it does not need to be closed with stitches or medical grade glue. It is normal to see one or two small openings on the scrotum."
So I'm a bit confused about what is considered small?
Yes, the slit is small but not small as it's so tiny and it also depends on how old your cat is. The younger the cat, the smaller the scrotum and thus the smaller the slit.

Most male cats do not need sutures but they have medical glue on them as the glue not only hold the slit close but they form a film like cover to keep bacteria away as not to get the surgery site infected and that's why E-collars are used so that they don't licked the surgery area. But not all cats like the E-collar. My boy kicked off the E-collar the moment he set foot in the house and he did not wear it again.

I remember seeing my boy's surgery slit but it was like closed together throughout the healing period.

Light running or jumping or climbing should be ok but just don't engage him in rigorous play as yet.

Keep the surgery site dry and make sure there's not pus or foul smell as with those present mens an infection and also no excess bleeding, which means better to bring your cat back to the vet. Slight bleeding and discharge is normal as then surgery is fresh, which will dry up in a day or two. Swelling will subside in around 14 days and body will absorb what's left over after the surgery will be deflated and the site should heal around that time.
It takes 6 - 8 weeks for the testosterones to be fully discharged from the system and fur will grow back.

To ease your mind, best is to show them the photos and hear what they say.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i would take him to the vet again a different one to check at the stitches site, i dont know why there is pink flesh in the second photo and it may be causing some irritation or pain which explains why your cat cant stop moving around and is uncomfortable for your cat. It looks raw to me. Did he give your cat medication for pain afterwards ?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet doesn't close neuters either. What's gonna happen? There's nothing to fall out anymore ;). Small dots of blood are normal the first couple of days, but if you see more blood he'll need medical attention. As long as he doesn't get an infection everything should be fine, so if he seems like he has the symptoms of an infection---lethargic or stops eating---call the vet right away. If you're still worried but he seems fine, take a picture to the clinic and see if they think there's anything to be concerned about.

Hyperness from the anesthetic is fairly normal. Should wear off by the next day.

I'm laughing at the shave job :D. That's hilarious! My vet has never shaved for a neuter but I suppose with fur that long it might be necessary.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if the e collar could be contributing to his hyper activeness? I would try taking it off and see if he leaves the site alone? I didn’t use one for my boy or the girls and they did fine. Course I was working at home and able to keep an eye on them. Just a thought?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm all my boys had stitches or glue! I would take him to the vet and ask for stitches or glue if you can, just in case. If you can’t ask the vet if a daily bath/ball soak or rinse off of warm water would help. I would say warm salt water but the salt would sting, so maybe just a cup of warm water and let them air dry? I would also confine him to a bathroom to try to keep him from jumping in the next week. If he is in the bathroom he may not need an e-collar but again all my boys were glued/stitched. On a side note I wonder if his balls will look weird when they heal?

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did show the pictures to the vet, and here is what they said:

What you describe seems normal immediately after surgery and/or if he was able to lick the surgery site.
Keep the area clean and use the collar to prevent licking. Blot the site gently once daily with cool water to clean. If he is painful when you clean, the bleeding worsens, or other discharge is seen then you should come in to have Wren examined.
For now things look fine! If you aren't sure it is always safer to have him checked than ignore a potential problem.​

He does seem to be healing normally now and the redness has subsided. I see a bit of scabbing but it's a closed wound. Thank you so much!

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if the e collar could be contributing to his hyper activeness? I would try taking it off and see if he leaves the site alone? I didn’t use one for my boy or the girls and they did fine. Course I was working at home and able to keep an eye on them. Just a thought?
It's funny because I ended up giving him the e collar of a friend's cat and he stopped fighting the collar. It might be because that cat is an older girl.