Blood in Stool - Taking in fecal sample

krispifsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all - I'm new and unfortunately here with a health problem with one of my cats.

He is approximately 3 years old and neutered. He's an indoor cat.

This morning I happened to be nearby while he was using his litter box and I noticed that his stool had bright red blood on it. I have plans to take him into the vet this afternoon - but I scooped up that fecal sample to take in with me. I do not know whether he has had bloody stool before. Energy level and appretite seem fairly normal. His food has stayed the same. I did notice that there was some loose stools in the little box the other day, but I have no way of knowing if they came from him or my other cat.

So my questions -

Will the fecal that I scooped up still be usable by the vet to determine what may be going on? I scooped it up, placed it in a Ziplock baggie and put in the fridge. It will probably be around 8 hours old before I get it to the vet.

Also, what should I have my vet look for? I know that most vets know what to look for - but I like to go in prepared with questions and concerns I want to make sure he addresses.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kristin

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, It seems a little late to respond to this.

I recently read that the fecal sample shouldn't be stored in the fridge because it could destroy evidence of worms, (I think?).

I hope your vet appointment went ok and it proved to be something simple.

Usually my vet has to swab to get a fecal sample for any of mine because I have so many cats that unless I catch them in the act, I'm never too sure who did what.

I am guessing that it may be something as simple as a parasite that is easy to treat to get rid of.

Your post must have been pushed down the line early today to not have gotten a responce and I'm sorry that sometimes happens.

What did you find out with your guy?

BTW... Welcome to TCS!!