Blood in cats poo

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My 5 month old kitten had diarrhoea yesterday and this morning she has gone again, this time a normal solid poo, but with bright red fresh blood in it. She seems fine in herself, eating, drinking and playing but I would say she’s maybe a bit more tired than usual. Is this a cause of concern or does anyone have idea what it is/what to do?

Thanks!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get a picture of it? Was it a good bit?
I will say if it is a good bit I would definitely make a vet appointment. I've never dealt with this but if it was my cat and she had blood in her stool I'd take her to be seen.
I hope your little one is ok and feels better soon
Please keep us posted

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have a photo actually (disclaimer, poo!) - not too much but enough. She’s just had another with no blood but a clearly kind of stringy bit did come out afterwards.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a photo actually (disclaimer, poo!) - not too much but enough. She’s just had another with no blood but a clearly kind of stringy bit did come out afterwards.
I've never seen anything like this.. that being said if it were me I would at the very least call the vet and see what they say. See if you can send the photo to them to look at and see if you should bring her in.. I would think the vet will want to see her.
My reasom for thinking they will want to see her is that she has bloody stool and is a little lethargic so I would personally be concerned..
Has anything changed recently like food? Has she maybe eaten something she shouldn't have?
I was thinking maybe constipation before i saw the picture but that looks like it is too much to be caused from straining... but I truly don't know..
If you can please update about your little one. I hope she feels better ASAP

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this one of the kittens who was born around March 17? My Chelsea did this as a kitten. In fact, when I took her to the vet to be spayed, they took her temperature and blood came out on the device, so they postponed the surgery. There had been spotty blood previously with no apparent cause and after the spaying it never happened again. Vet said that she had seen this before.

Having said all that, bright red blood usually originates at the end of the digestive tract and can come from various causes like straining or diarrhea. She is very young though and anything can be more serious in a young cat, so you might want to at least call the vet and explain what you are seeing.

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes this is one of the kittens born on the 17th of March! She’s had another poo this evening which was again a bit runny but no blood or mucus type liquid. We’re going to give the vets a call in the morning to see their thoughts as she eating and drinking fine and as mentioned before, she still playing and running around. Our previous cat had something similar when she was about the same age so we’re kind of familiar - definitely agree it’s worth a trip to the vet as she’s due to be done on the 9th too. Thanks all, will update tomorrow!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like maybe some colitis. I think if you can resolve her digestive issues and get good, consistent poos, then you won't see the blood as much. Perhaps some enzymes/pre/probiotics would help? Obviously, if concerned due to how she acts, or increase in blood, etc, then take her to the vet!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Evening all,

Thanks for all of your help. We went to the vets this evening and Kris you were right - it looks like the blood was due to colitis but also her and her brother appear to have a parasite (can’t remember the name) that essentially lays dormant and then flares up, hence the diarrhoea, which they then pass on to eachother. Been given some treatment for that and some probiotics to hopefully harden her poo as she’s due to be neutered a week today and won’t be able to if she still has it. Thanks for your help everyone!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evening all,

Thanks for all of your help. We went to the vets this evening and Kris you were right - it looks like the blood was due to colitis but also her and her brother appear to have a parasite (can’t remember the name) that essentially lays dormant and then flares up, hence the diarrhoea, which they then pass on to eachother. Been given some treatment for that and some probiotics to hopefully harden her poo as she’s due to be neutered a week today and won’t be able to if she still has it. Thanks for your help everyone!
I'm glad you took them in to see the vet and they are being treated. They will be feeling better in no time.
Also.. A huge thank you for setting up her spay appointment. Does the brother have his neuter appointment set up too?

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh 100% - always neuter your pets!! Her brother is already spayed, he was done at 4 months, she was booked in then too but she was too small when we went to the appointment unfortunately so she should have already been done. Fingers crossed all goes ahead next week!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh 100% - always neuter your pets!! Her brother is already spayed, he was done at 4 months, she was booked in then too but she was too small when we went to the appointment unfortunately so she should have already been done. Fingers crossed all goes ahead next week!
Yay!!! Thank you so much! Spay/neuter is very important for 1 yes the overpopulation crisis and 2 the many health benefits..
Anyway I just wanted to take some time and recognize the fact that you are being a very responsible pet owner and it is amazing seeing that.

I'm glad it was something simple enough that they could treat. They will be feeling better in no time

Hopefully she gets the all clear next week.

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Heather - really means a lot as we do try really hard to do our best. Have a lovely rest of your week!

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought I would pop a little update to say she’s been done! She hasn’t taken it very well - didn’t sleep all night, won’t accept the cone and if we put the surgery recovery suit on she finds a way out or she just lays there and doesn’t move. Does anyone have any ideas to help? She is licking it so need to find something to stop it.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of surgical suit do you have for her and is it too lose on her? What do you mean by she won't accept the cone?
Have you checked out cone alternatives

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve attached a photo of the ones we got - it fits perfectly really. She’s had it on for a couple hours now but again isn’t really moving though. She just goes nuts when the cone is put on, it’s really uncomfortable for her and read that it can irritate quite a lot. We have looked at the inflatable ones but again, it’s just quite uncomfortable she’s very restricted which she just doesn’t do well with. I fear forcing things like that on her will just cause more harm as she jumps and desperately tries to get it off.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve attached a photo of the ones we got - it fits perfectly really. She’s had it on for a couple hours now but again isn’t really moving though. She just goes nuts when the cone is put on, it’s really uncomfortable for her and read that it can irritate quite a lot. We have looked at the inflatable ones but again, it’s just quite uncomfortable she’s very restricted which she just doesn’t do well with. I fear forcing things like that on her will just cause more harm as she jumps and desperately tries to get it off.
I had one similar and I actually had to take some medical tape and where the velcro is at along the back fold it to one side then taped it to make it where it wouldn't move at all. Idk if this is an option for you but figured I'd mention it.
Also with the cone. Have you tried to turn it around so she doesn't have something in her face? Like put it over her hear with the big part first

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm maybe we’ll try that - to be honest she hasn’t got it off once all day which is a positive. She seems to be getting used to it and it’s almost a good thing as she doesn’t want to move in it so it keeps her calm and still! The cone we were given from the vets is the same all the way around so there isn’t a way to make it better. Fingers crossed the suit continues to work else maybe we will try what you suggested. Thanks for your help!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm maybe we’ll try that - to be honest she hasn’t got it off once all day which is a positive. She seems to be getting used to it and it’s almost a good thing as she doesn’t want to move in it so it keeps her calm and still! The cone we were given from the vets is the same all the way around so there isn’t a way to make it better. Fingers crossed the suit continues to work else maybe we will try what you suggested. Thanks for your help!
What kind of cone do you have? Is it not like this? Shape wise? If it is you can try putting it on backwards like the second one shows.. that's if it is like that though.. I hope her suit works..
Yea the tape worked to get it a little tighter because when she slept or laid down curled up her hind legs would come through the leg holes and I found that the tape really helped. So if you do try it I really hope it helps. And honestly she didn't move much when we put the suit on her in the beginning until she got used to it but then she was good. So it might just take your little girl a little time to get used to having something on her. I hope she has a speedy recovery!! ❤💜💜😺😺

Attachments

13raynerl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry I see what you mean with the cone - that’s a good idea!! If this suit ends up failing well give that a go thank you! Hoping she recovers soon too - she has her check up Saturday so fingers crossed! Thanks ☺