Blockage - 3 Enemas - Still No Result

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miralax is ok for cat. A stressed cat doesn't eat, drink or potty, too. Research probiotics IMHO

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sending hugs to you and Kit Cat. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
I hope you both got some sleep and that today will be a good day. :crossfingers: :redheartpump: :catlove:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief! We have to find you a better vet. I agree that a lot of this could have been handled by a competent vet and didn't require all these costly efforts by ER vets.

I'm also going to encourage you to create a GoFundMe page! You may not raise goo-gobs of money but it will certainly be something to help defray costs. I actually teach graduate students at Rollins College and at the University of Florida and it bothers me that you've had to drop classes. Don't get me wrong; I would have done the exact same thing in your situation. I just hate that you've had to.

I'm glad your boy is doing better. I know I've said it before but it bears saying again: He's extremely lucky to have you. Keep us updated with his progress.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

We took him to his vet again this morning. They did an x-ray again and gave him an anti-inflammatory shot. His x-ray showed some of the barrium still in his system from saturday in 3 small pieces. His vet was still unable to detect a blockage of any kind. Charged us another $200 and booked us an appointment for an ultrasound at the Emergency.

My boy was terrified and cried the entire way to the emergency and as soon as we walked in he got extremely scared and sad and quite and started shaking in fear... curled up against my chest and of course, I burst into tears holding him... that didn't help.

They took him in, we told the technician lead the wholeee 3 week story and they said they would give us an estimate for the ultrasound. It was $1300... that made our total so far for this week to $2800... I paid with my credit card and we were told we can pick him up 4 hours later after he wakes up. Then they took my kid away from me and sent me home... 4 terrified hours later when I didn't hear back from them I called. They said they're running late and hadn't even started! My poor kitten was still stuck in his damn crate for 4 hours! I couldn't believe it. They said his new x-ray showed the bariam had moved more down the colon and he most likely did not have a blockage but they're not certain. She suggested keeping him overnight with an IV and doing his nlood work and giving him another enema in the morning first before doing an ultrasound. I said fine. They gave me another estimate of 800 dollars... I said fine and gave them my credit card info. I just called them after another 3 hours to find out how's it going. Turns out his vet only took one shot of x-ray this morning so they have to do another x-ray so I'm paying for it twice on the same day for no reason. And they didn't send his blood work report to him from Sunday even though they were called 3 times. So they have to do blood work again as well. And the best part was my boy was STILL not hooked on IV or got out of the crate!!!! And they're telling me he didn't eat alll day or pooped or peed! Well he's been stuck in a cage for 7 hours! I'm furious!

Anyway... I just dropped two of my classes for grad school because I have crossed 4000 in the last 2 weeks... I'm speechless by the level of unprofessionalism and incompetence of his vet and the emergency. I just.. I don't even know what to say anymore. I feel like me and my kid are just a joke to these people. I'm feeling sick to my stomach. I'm supposed to pick him up at 4 pm tomorrow. Pretty sure they're gonna say something with maybe, possibly and most likely and suggest to do an ultrasound. I just feel helpless yet so numb.
what a nightmare! Those people!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good grief! We have to find you a better vet. I agree that a lot of this could have been handled by a competent vet and didn't require all these costly efforts by ER vets.

I'm also going to encourage you to create a GoFundMe page! You may not raise goo-gobs of money but it will certainly be something to help defray costs. I actually teach graduate students at Rollins College and at the University of Florida and it bothers me that you've had to drop classes. Don't get me wrong; I would have done the exact same thing in your situation. I just hate that you've had to.

I'm glad your boy is doing better. I know I've said it before but it bears saying again: He's extremely lucky to have you. Keep us updated with his progress.
Thank you! I really, really appreciate that you're acknowledging that this was a very tough decision. I never thought I'd end up with a $4000 bill in a blink. Many of my friends have mocked me because I chose his medical care over grad school.. Some suggested I give him up and get a new cat! As if he's a broken pen or an old sheet. So I thought maybe other people will feel the same way and that's why I haven't opened up s gofundme profile.. I can't share it with them, they're just gonna laugh. I am overwhelmed with credit card bills but my boy is purring on my lap as I type this response... so I'm happy :)

Also, we're blessed to have friends and wellwishers like you who have been so informative, supportive and caring through this whole thing. Kit Cat says thank you! :)

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Taking care of recovering kitty:

Hi guys.. I'm back again with more questions. Recovery has been slow and rough. I am turning into this worried person every time Kit Cat does anything. Which is making me notice him, his food habits and personality a lot more than before.

- Is it normal for an 11 month old cat to eat only half a cup of dry food a day? That's how he has been eating more or less since I got him. I just never thought it'd be an issue since he was a baby with a baby tummy. But he's about to turn 1... How can I encourage him to eat more or should I encourage him to eat more? I'm currently giving him food twice a day, half a cup, however he's not finishing his food. He never finished his food even before our unpleasant hospital visits..

- He's getting miralax mixed with water twice a day, he hates it but too bad! Can he get sick/comfortable/vomit from being forced fed miralax mixed with water by a syringe?

- I understand wet food is better for him. But I don't know how to feed him wet food he straight-up refused it the last couple of times I tried to feed him wet food. That's why I can't mix miralax in his food. I have tried all sorts of wet food, buffalo blue, wellness, royal canine and sheba.

- Today he threw up. The food had not digested and it seemed like he didn't even chew them! It was a handful of buffalo blue. Should I be worried?

- I'm worried he's not getting enough calories. Should I give him more treats?

- Can you recommend a better dry food for him? Should I try science diet? Any tricks to make him accept wet food? I have tried mixing dry and wet.. And the look I got from him basically translated "How dare you?"

He is occasionally meowing.. I can't tell if he just wants to play or he's in pain again. I'm so freaked out all the time I alwaya think he's saying help me I'm hurting... and I don't have a vet. I have also applied for PetPlan. Do you think it'd help? I have no financial safety net at this point...

Thank you guys! Kit Cat and I both appreciate you all. Here's a photo of sleepy kitto with his shaved leg because of the IV..

Attachments

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Taking care of recovering kitty:

Hi guys.. I'm back again with more questions. Recovery has been slow and rough. I am turning into this worried person every time Kit Cat does anything. Which is making me notice him, his food habits and personality a lot more than before.

- Is it normal for an 11 month old cat to eat only half a cup of dry food a day? That's how he has been eating more or less since I got him. I just never thought it'd be an issue since he was a baby with a baby tummy. But he's about to turn 1... How can I encourage him to eat more or should I encourage him to eat more? I'm currently giving him food twice a day, half a cup, however he's not finishing his food. He never finished his food even before our unpleasant hospital visits..

- He's getting miralax mixed with water twice a day, he hates it but too bad! Can he get sick/comfortable/vomit from being forced fed miralax mixed with water by a syringe?

- I understand wet food is better for him. But I don't know how to feed him wet food he straight-up refused it the last couple of times I tried to feed him wet food. That's why I can't mix miralax in his food. I have tried all sorts of wet food, buffalo blue, wellness, royal canine and sheba.

- Today he threw up. The food had not digested and it seemed like he didn't even chew them! It was a handful of buffalo blue. Should I be worried?

- I'm worried he's not getting enough calories. Should I give him more treats?

- Can you recommend a better dry food for him? Should I try science diet? Any tricks to make him accept wet food? I have tried mixing dry and wet.. And the look I got from him basically translated "How dare you?"

He is occasionally meowing.. I can't tell if he just wants to play or he's in pain again. I'm so freaked out all the time I alwaya think he's saying help me I'm hurting... and I don't have a vet.

Thank you guys! Kit Cat and I both appreciate you all. Here's a photo of sleepy kitto with his shaved leg because of the IV..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave a larger amount of dry food out for him to eat whenever he wants. You are going to have to find something he likes to mix the Miralax in. Tuna juice, beaten egg yolk, goats milk, canned chicken juice or low sodium broth? It won't be forever so try to find something for now. Don't get the most expensive wet food either, my cats refuse it. Get Friskies in shredded, pate, and 'treasures' (which is the one my cats like) You might try Fancy Feast too, but not the creamy kind. It is too stressful to keep forcing him, so i hope you find SOMETHING. All the luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the update on Kit Cat. I was wondering how he was doing.

I'm sorry your friends don't get why you would put Kit Cat's health before grad school, so I'm glad you found this forum where people understand.

About the amount of food Kit Cat should eat a day, there should be a guide on the back of the package, or on the company's website, based on the cat's age, weight and activity level. Different foods, both dry and canned, have different calorie amounts, so you have to pretty much read the label or website guideline.

About Kit Cat throwing up the undigested / unchewed dry food, my Ruby has done that a few times. I'm not really sure what makes her throw it up, but it always shocks me that they don't look chewed at all.

You probably don't want to try getting him to eat wet food right now, while his system is still healing, but maybe try stinky fishy canned foods - tuna, salmon, shrimp, etc. You don't want him to eat too much fish, but it might get him to appreciate wet food.

I really hope Kit Cat is on the road to recovery and you won't need to take him to a vet again for a while, however, since you don't have a vet you trust right now, maybe you should look into finding a "feline only" veterinarian in your area.

And about your credit card debt, here's a few tips I've seen suggested over the years: If you have more than 1 credit card, when you can afford to pay more than the minimum monthly amount, put any extra on the card with highest interest first. Also try calling the credit card company(s) and ask if they will lower the interest rate. And maybe check with your bank to see if they would consider consolidating all your credit card debt under one bank loan.

Good luck with everything.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried chicken or beef wet food? My cats don't seem to like turkey lately. I would add at least a 3oz can of wet food to his diet if you can, along with the dry food. I'm trying out Nutro dry food right now, but it has only been a few days, so I can't really recommend it yet. They seem to like it though.

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kit Cat is doing a lot better! But still too stubborn to eat wet food. I have been giving him Miralax, which he hates but I think it's helping him! Thank you all for all your support!