Blockage - 3 Enemas - Still No Result

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm new in cat parenting. Please bear with me as I'm panicked and I got a long story to share..

We got Kit Cat in September as a 7 month old kitten and he has had quite a few vet trips since then for various reasons - from corneal ulcer to UTI. He is 10 months old now and weighs 10.1 lbs. About 2 weeks ago I notice my kitto's appetite was decreasing. He's usually a good eater and is very enthusiastic about food. On the 3rd day it got to the point where he was only eating less than half a cup of dry food (he eats Buffalo Blue and absolutely rejects wet food). I took him to the vet the same day worried about blockage. The vet examined him and said his penis has turned purple and he has a UTI again. And he was unsure whether the loss of appetite was cause by the UTI or blockage is a seperate issue. Kitto got 2 shots - anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory. He also gave him a tuna flavored lube to eat to help with the blockage if there is one. I got billed $220 dollars. Got home and gave him his meds for the next 4 days and made him drink more water through syringe. His appetite didn't get any better but his UTI was gone as I found big blocks of pee in his box so I thought things are off to a good direction. But eventually he completely stopped eating and would only eat a few treats here and there. I contacted his vet again and I was told yesterday to drop him off and keep him there overnight. They performed multiple enemas on him, many x-rays I assume and I was told this morning (Saturday) to come pick him up after his 3rd enema. I was told he threw up a little of the barriam yesterday and is still not eating. I was sent home with appetite increasing meds and more tuna flavored lubes and told that if he doesn't pass "it" by Monday, he's gonna have to have a surgery. They said he pooped a little yesterday and "something" came out that smelled wayy worse than regular cat poop. They aren't sure if it's a blockage because it's not showing in the x-ray but it has moved to the colon and supposedly that's a very good thing and it usually means it's on its way to the rectum. That being said, they can't tell what "it" is - could be hair or fabric or carpet." I was told to make him eat, give him anyyything he wants to eat, including human food. On my way I was handed over a bill of $978.

Here is my questions and concerns.... he's barely eating and having some treats. He has not pooped since we brought him home.. he seems be be leaking and dragging himself across the carpet like he's scratching his bum or something. Is this normal? His white tail has turned yellow from all the leaky poop! Is it correct that because it's in the colon now we have to let "mother nature do its job"? His last enema was this morning..isn't he supposed to poop by now? His vet is a very nice and compassionate man but I'm starting to lose faith in him. I know it's wrong of me to demand a positive outcome but I am not even being given accurate answers. It's a whole bunch of maybe and possibly and most likely. After spending over $1200 in the last 2 weeks they just sent my baby home with a blockage! I don't know what to do at this point.. I'm okay with him having a surgery as long as it helps him. It's like all the treatment he received so far didn't help him at all. He is very vocal and playful and very sweet - he always has been. He doesn't seem like he's in pain but when he was dragging his bum across the floor. What do you suggest I do now? Should I take him to a different vet? Should I force feed him? Should I give him human food? Is it true that now that "it" is in the colon things should look up? How long should I wait for this to work out? He seems to be eating some treats and drinking water. I have found pee in his box but no poop. I'm losing patience...He has lost 0.5 lbs since last week. I'm so attached to him, he's the love of my life and I'm on the verge of bursting into tears. Please help. Here's his latest x-ray.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone please help... my boy is still not pooping and eating very little..

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went through this with my IBD kitty when he had what was actually his first IBD flare. He spent several days at the vets on an IV, multiple xrays and finally an enema. The vet couldn't decide if he was blocked with a foreign object or if he was constipated. She actually wouldn't give him an enema until she was reasonably sure that it wasn't a foreign object and it resolved quickly after giving him an enema. I got a huge bill for that one.

As long as this has went on and it hasn't resolved after multiple enemas I would be getting a 2nd opinion. Giving more food that isn't moving through his system will only make matters worse. The not eating can be caused by both constipation and a foreign body, the body reacts to both the same way with nausea and anorexia. I know here anyway a vet will get the records from your current vet. I know you will feel like you are making your vet angry and burning a bridge but it is really good for a second vet to have the records for what has been done so far.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and ask if it is OK to give Miralax, the same at the store for humans. when my senior stopped going I gave him 1/4 teaspoon mixed in a little egg yolk and water and it was the only thing that worked. Plain canned pumpkin is supposed to be very good too as a natural fiber, you can mix a little into anything you find that he will eat.
This is getting really expensive, I'll pray he gets better, the poor little guy has been through enough!

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went through this with my IBD kitty when he had what was actually his first IBD flare. He spent several days at the vets on an IV, multiple xrays and finally an enema. The vet couldn't decide if he was blocked with a foreign object or if he was constipated. She actually wouldn't give him an enema until she was reasonably sure that it wasn't a foreign object and it resolved quickly after giving him an enema. I got a huge bill for that one.

As long as this has went on and it hasn't resolved after multiple enemas I would be getting a 2nd opinion. Giving more food that isn't moving through his system will only make matters worse. The not eating can be caused by both constipation and a foreign body, the body reacts to both the same way with nausea and anorexia. I know here anyway a vet will get the records from your current vet. I know you will feel like you are making your vet angry and burning a bridge but it is really good for a second vet to have the records for what has been done so far.
Thank you.. do you think pet smart's animal hospital is dependable? That's the only other place I got around me..

Untill the enema he used to poop! His appetite decreased but he used to poop! It's been 20 hours since his last enema and my kitto hasn't gone yet.. he ate half a cup of dry food, a lot of water and about 10 treats...

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and ask if it is OK to give Miralax, the same at the store for humans. when my senior stopped going I gave him 1/4 teaspoon mixed in a little egg yolk and water and it was the only thing that worked. Plain canned pumpkin is supposed to be very good too as a natural fiber, you can mix a little into anything you find that he will eat.
This is getting really expensive, I'll pray he gets better, the poor little guy has been through enough!
He won't eat anything other than dry food.. I feel so helpless. My boy is full of energy and is still very sweet though.. should I give it a few more days before going forward with the surgery?

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aan enema they will not go for a while. But two days is enough, three, I would try to do something.
Do you think a surgery is inevitable? Does it make any difference that he doesn't seem to be in pain and there's no vomiting? Should I stop giving him the apetite increasing med

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the egg yolk, my old boy only ate dry too, and drank that. Maybe the juice off of tuna? If it's been two days, definitely don't wait longer then that. Call the vet and see what they suggest.If the enemas got anything, he won't build up enough to go again for a few days. All I know is that the Miralax was the only thing that worked for me, but ask your vet. He will start acting listless and not full of energy when he starts to back up, but remember cats try to hide illnesses too Don't stop the med, it wouldn't hurt. maybe another x-ray to see where the blockage is now?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will he eat baby food? Temporarily, you could switch him to Gerber Stage2 baby food in beef, chicken or turkey. You can thin it out with unflavored Pedialyte (generic is fine) to ensure that his electrolytes are in balance. Dry food at this time is going to divert the water that he is drinking from reaching his colon. Did the vet recommend a stool softener? You can try asking yourvet or an online integrated or holistic vet about the possibility of using herbs such as red raspberry leaf and marshmallow root which are soothing to inflamed gut and urinary symptoms, easing cramping.
:alright: Prayers and vibes that the problem passes through and your boy makes a full recovery.

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WE'VE GOT POOP!!!!

He just went in the box right after I made him eat the tuna flavored lube and his appetite increasing meds. I can't tell if this is "it" but it's a long piece of poop. Does this mean we're heading towards the right direction??? Or I should put my champaign because there's nothing to celebrate...

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!!

Things are looking weird again though. He vomited foam when I tried to give him his appetite increasing meds. Since he's been very lethargic... He's been sleeping on and off on my lap for 3 hours and once he cried out really loud randomly then went back to lying back looking really sad... I'm getting worried... is he in pain? Is that why he cried like that? He's been stinky farting too...

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had several constipated cats in my life and I would take that kitty to someone else. My vet would not have sent me home without answers. Three enemas is plenty to get something removed and it doesn't take that long for the enemas to work. The vet's office can manually remove stool too by sedating the cat and working it out with water. It's fantastic he is pooping and for sure something to rejoice over. That is great. Don't worry about how it smells or looks just be happy. But something else might be going on like IBD and yes, the cat is in pain most likely. If he is throwing up foam, that's stomach acid. I'm not sure what all you are giving the cat in terms of medication but here is what I think -- that grain free is not for everyone. My vet told me that is a trend and don't fall for it. This is my opinion and my vet's, so take it with a grain of salt. Some cats need fiber and I would get your kitty off the dry food. Or...put some miralax in warm water and try syringing it into the cat's mouth. If you give your cat an appetite stimulate and they are constipated, the food has nowhere to go. Think about if you were constipated and kept on eating. Constipated cats are usually dehydrated.
I know it is expensive. I just spent nearly $5,000 on my cat who passed away on Friday. I wish it would have helped him but it didn't.
I'm sorry, I would take this kitty somewhere else.
I don't know about the Petsmart vets but at least it would be a second opinion.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the li'l guy rest for at least another day. His system has been through a lot over the last few days. He probably has a sore tummy, sore intestines, sore bum, and tired muscles. I doubt you'll see much poop over the next day or so, as his system has been (hopefully) cleared out. I also agree that he needs as much liquid as you can get into him. Anyone who's had to go through a "cleanse" knows that hydration is incredibly important, and easily digestible foods afterwards.
If he seems to get feverish (hot ears, watery/lidded eyes) then I would call the vet asap.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I havent read the tread, so I wont predent this is some accurate advice. I dont know either, if its just a hard constipation or some medical blockage needing vet care (ie needing surgery - rare but certainly does happens )
Still I want to give a lesser known tip against strong constipation. - fluid paraffine!

A standard advice is to give some food oil with every meal. Any food oil is working, but the coldpressed are nourishing by themselves so its my pick.

Even more potent are mineral oils. But where to find them food grade?

The best of them is liquid paraffine oil. This is no hokus pokus, vets use it too, and there is such liquid paraffine for vet use.

Best is to try to get such vet liquid paraffine oil. It may be sold in small bottles, so it wont cost much. Perhaps an online zoo shop with quick delivery?

I found them accidentally in a farmer products shop on horse shelves, among gears to clean leather work. Bottles with pure liquid paraffine! When I mailed the producer, they answered me its essentially the same product as this sold to veterinarians. They dont change anything, just the bottle and label.

I dont know if this is true for other producers, but I do hope so. :)

I saw also, there is liquid paraffine sold to prepare wood and wooden gears. But Im not sure this is as clean and harmless.
After all, a horse may bite or lick on the leatherwork its carrying. So the producer wont add anything poisonous nor harmful. But whom use to bite and lick on wooden garden furniture?

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.

He finally got off my lap then cried some more. I tried to play with him a little and he stopped crying. He is randomly crying out and hasn't pooped since morning. He peed a little too. I honestly can't tell if he's crying out of pain or he's crying for attention... He's dozing off on my lap again as I type... I'm really worried for him. My boy never cries unless I lock him in his room..

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He might be crying because he still has a bit of an upset tummy. That he had a rather large poop is very good. So that's probably a good sign. Enemas are supposed to produce the evacuation of waste. Did that happen? It sounds like it did once, but my vet would not send my cat home until he reliably went on his own once first.

My Booberry is a constant constipation risk. He was a stray who had a pelvic fracture so there are physical reasons I have to watch him very carefully. With a kitty so young as yours, you'll have to continue to do what you are doing and that is to pay attention to his habits and errr production.

While Booberry's case is very different, I have to be super careful about any dry food except one kind which I was skeptical would work. It was recommended after he spent 4 days in a specialty animal hospital on an IV Golyte drip to unclog a complete obstruction. The food is Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response. It has a mixture of soluble and insoluble fiber that do their thing in terms of feeding gut bacteria. The combo is what theoretically keeps things moving along in the GI tract. The food doesn't have exceptional ingredients in my opinion and is very calorie dense. It's only one of several things I do to help him.

In reading about cat constipation, grain free foods often have pea fiber and potato fiber and those things can exacerbate constipation in some kitties.

You might want to introduce canned food with a bit of the crushed dry he likes on top to get him interested. If that doesn't work, I agree on syringing the miralax. I do give my cat Miralax and he also has a prescription for cisapride which is a motility drug that is given to cats who have constipation but also reflux issues. It's a compounded liquid so not a pill that one has to give their cat. If that gets prescribed and you don't have a compounding pharmacy, 1-800 Pet Meds does compound it, just as an FYI.

I feed Booberry mostly a wet diet but have GI food too. He gets just a bit of this dry food every day. Even with all of this, sometimes he still gets constipated. With his particular situation, more fiber is a terrible thing. Psyllium fiber is the worst for whatever reason. Not all the usual things work for every cat and so talking to a vet is always advised.

The Tuna lax that you are giving him is a petrolatum based product (Vaseline) and I have found Vaseline with a bit of butter smashed in will move things along. It cannot be digested by the cat and is the basis for every hairball remedy on the market. There's more about how to do this here : Constipated Cats | Little Big Cat. I also asked my vet about it and she was for it.

You might want to talk to a vet at the Petsmart too. Your vet doesn't sound very communicative or interested in resolving the problem.

As for food oils, that's apparently not going to do the trick because they all get absorbed into the intestinal wall rather than making things slippery and moving on through. I think olive oil has some properties that make it slightly irritating to the cat's colon and so that CAN work, but it also can make your cat feel awful as a result.