Blind senior introduction

Peachlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently adopted a senior male cat who is completely blind. He is precious and very sweet, we have 3 other cats and wondered how to properly introduce them. Flint is in his own room at the moment and settling in very well...my other cats can hear and smell him. His owner passed unexpectedly and we adopted him last week. Any insight would be appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless you for taking him in!!

Other members, including those with blind kitties, will see your post soon, but I'm thinking "slow and steady", with slowly being the most important aspect so that your resident cats are eventually able to allow him into the clowder with as little fuss as possible.

Regarding how to accomplish that, I'm honestly thinking lots of time is going to be your and his friend :), and you have that. He's with you now, safe, sheltered and loved :vibes: :heartshape:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it Flint has been blind for quite a while? If so, that will really help as he is accustomed to it. Has he been around other cats before? That too will help, if so.

I would think the biggest difference in introducing Flint to your other cats, as opposed to a cat that can see will be to allow Flint the time to get acclimated to his new home 'solo', one room at a time, so he can determine the placement of all furniture and rooms. (And, you do know not to move furniture around if at all possible - not just now, but for Flint's lifetime.) Taking the time to slowly introduce him to each room while he doesn't have to worry about other cats should help. He will also smell their scents as he explores each room so that will get him accustomed to them from the primary way he will always 'know' them.

I would use the TCS Introduction article (see link below) as your basis for laying out a plan, keeping in mind that he may not be able to see them but will be able to smell them through the various introduction steps. If there is one particular cat of yours that you think might 'welcome' Flint more easily than the others, you can always start with that cat for parts of the introduction process.

Any chance your other cats would tolerate collars/harnesses with bells? If so, that will help Flint to be aware of their location at all times once they can be around each other all the time. It might also help during parts of the introduction process as well.

I have also included a link (below) to other threads on this site that are related to blind cats in case any information in them might be helpful while you wait to hear directly from other members! And, another article, just because!

Blind Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Search Results for Query: blind cat | TheCatSite
Is It Safe For A Blind Cat To Live With Other Cats? – Pet Adoption Planet