acro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which cat is more difficult to care for:

1) a cat that is blind
or
2) a cat that is deaf

I'm considering adopting a new cat, and the shelter has one of each (1 blind, 1 deaf). I can't adopt both.
I currently have 2 normal cats, if that makes a difference. Also, I have around 30+ years of cat keeping experience and I'm ready for the challenge of adopting a "special needs" cat.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say go based more on the cat's personalities and your cat's personalities. Since they have a disability you want another cat who is very cat social and do proper slow intros. Similar energy levels to. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are not a neat person, and tend to just drop things and let them lie till you feel like moving them, then a deaf cat might be easier for you. Blind cats rely on familiarity with their surroundings to function well and securely. However, if you're neat, or don't mind being neat, in the future, either could make a good pet. Match the cats to your cats' personalities, as best you can.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Match the cats to your cats' personalities, as best you can.
Also look at how your cats communicate with each other. Vocally or exclusively body language. Would your cats be too stressed by a collar with a bell?

Our Yoshi lost most of his hearing from old age. He adapted so well that we weren't sure until he didn't hear the vacuum cleaner in the room. He's always had selective hearing and I've always spoken with my hands so we already had a silent language in place. Yoshi has also become very vocal since loosing his hearing.