Bleeding Mouth... Bit Spikey Seed Pods

haiitsvi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I moved to a house with a yard and have been letting my cat play outside while I can see him through the doors to the porch while I cook. He got into playing with those spikey seed pods and was batting it around. Didn't think anything of it, but when he came inside his mouth was bleeding because he must have carried it around in his mouth. Don't mind how he looks in the picture, he was purring and seemed to be just fine, still playful, even. It does not seem like he is in pain, but I am wondering if I need to take him to the vet or if there is something I can buy at the pet store to clean the wound and take care of it myself. I will feed him dinner in a bit and see how he eats.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It does look a little nasty. For the time being, if the vet is not opened, get some antiseptic cream from the pet store to apply on the wound. Try to dab the wound with a soft warm damp cloth and then apply the antiseptic cream.

I'm afraid that the tip of the spike/thorn of the pod he's bitten into may chip off and be lodged in the wound that may cause an infection. Sometimes sap from such plants are toxic to cats.
This part of the mouth is where it is easy for the cat to scratch and if it's scratched, it takes a longer time to heal.

Best is bring in to the vet for a profession assessment to avoid any complications.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
those are sweet gum tree seed pods in case knowing what they are helps your research. Your vet will recognize them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The spikes from those pods can break off and become imbedded in tissue as tabbytom tabbytom suggested. Your cat needs to be looked at closely by a vet, and any spikes need to be removed, the area needs to be thoroughly cleaned and then treated with an antiseptic to help healing.

Or, instead of an antiseptic, you can use chamomile tea (tea bags from a grocery store, no additives) and brew in water. Cool the liquid and dab it onto the wound multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is safe for the cat to ingest.