Bladder Inflammtion, Food related?

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this I can move if needed.

So my almost 6 year old has been having bladder inflammation issues for about a month. He's been to the vet already twice and is currently on medication for the third time. His vet is also speculating he may have collitus as well (my poor boy can't catch a break) so he's also on a probiotic to hopefully help and if not, will be on antibiotics.
He's currently on Hill's C/D, wet only (about a month as per vet direction). Has been for maybe 8 months and was previously on Royal Canin S/O.

Before we switched I don't recall him having any issues with urinating or bladders issues so I was wondering if the food could be causing the inflammation. I tried comparing ingredients but that would be a task. I am going to bring it up to my vet on Monday since I had my brain moment after the vet closed of course.

But has anyone else had kitties on Hill's and who experienced inflammation and such? I'm just curious and want to help my baby boy get better.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that the switch is the cause because of the ingredients. If possible, can you switch back to his old food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to talk to his vet on Monday and see what she say but I am sure they won't have a problem with it.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food was he on before the switch to the S/O then C/D?
Why was he put on S/O to begin with? Is this the first time he's had cystitis? Did he previously have stones/crystals? If how long has that been going on?
Why was he switched to the CD?
My boy was on both S/O and CD, and my understanding of the food and how it works basically boils down to.
CD - dissolves current and prevents crystal formation.
S/O - makes them drink more to dilute urine and encourage more peeing.

The food change may have caused the stomach issues, but the food should not have caused the cystitis. Cystitis is usually a stress response.
What did the urinalysis/culture say last month when he was switched to the CD?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I echo what Jem Jem asked and offered. I would also be curious to know what meds he is on and has been, since this is third time. Antibiotics and/or anti-inflammatories? And, over what period of time for all three?

There was a reason for the SO in the first place, so I am guessing that he was having some sort of urinary tract issue at that time. When you talk to the vet, ask them to explain what led them to suggest SO in the first place, and then why they changed to C/D. You might want to ask for copies of his tests, especially any/all urinalysis/urine cultures that have been done since before the SO was introduced, and discuss those with the vet as well.

This sounds like he might have cystitis of unknown origin - which is generally considered to be stress related in cats, most of which tend to have an anxious nature. These cats can also get colitis from stress/anxiety. Another point to discuss with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm now that I think about it, could be the stress from him getting the medication because that is when he gets the diarrhea. The first round was Metacam, Pravasin and Bunorphine. Second time was just Prava and Buno as he had the diarreha and threw up once so the vet didn't want to risk him getting sick again. This course, number three is again just prava and buno.

After the first course of meds she did a second ultrasound again, saw that the inflammation had gone down from the first visit (about 2 weeks apart).

In regards to his urinaysis... She said his kidneys were working well, PH was good, no crystals. I think I recall seeing that they weren't sure if there was bacteria or just debris.

I'm pretty sure Mickey getting into my kitten's old food may have caused the inflammation. She has switched over to C/D with vet permission so that makes things a lot easier.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you considered a raw diet? Many kitties prone to urinary issues do well on it.