Black residue on new stainless steel cat bowls / constipation issues

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat's vet and I decided a few years ago that Pumpkin would use stainless steel bowls only. He seemed to have a reaction to plastic. Every now and then, when I replace these bowls (stainless steel eventually gets well-worn with stains) a black residue appears on the paper towel when I dry them off. This is true of his small food bowls and the much larger ones I use for his water.

I have a set of new stainless steel water bowls that I want to use asap. The ones we have are getting worn and are developing stains I can't remove. We have issues with limescale in our city water, so the rims are coated with it. The water bowls have more of this than the food dishes, maybe because they are bigger?

I have a new water filter for our kitchen faucet, which unfortunately turned out to be defective, so it's going back to the store. I am going back to using city water for him until I find a replacement. I could scream.

What should I do? Should I give these bowls another wash or take them back to the store? Is this residue harmful? In the past, it eventually went away but it doesn't seem to be doing that this time around.

Tx.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like some pretty questionable stainless steel, almost as if it is a coating only and the coating wears off. I am sure your water doesn't help matters. I suggest you get ceramic dishes instead and forgo the stainless steel rather than risk using them anymore. See if the same thing happens with them - hopefully not! Nonetheless, washing any dishes on a daily basis could also help.

You could also use bottled water for your cat if the problem continues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like some pretty questionable stainless steel, almost as if it is a coating only and the coating wears off. I am sure your water doesn't help matters. I suggest you get ceramic dishes instead and forgo the stainless steel rather than risk using them anymore. See if the same thing happens with them - hopefully not! Nonetheless, washing any dishes on a daily basis could also help.

You could also use bottled water for your cat if the problem continues.
I wash his dishes all the time. I didn't think ceramic was good because - according to some sources - they can hold bacteria. Not only that, I am very clumsy and have a long hx of breaking glass by accident.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you utilize ebay, and find older stainless steel bowls, not necessarily specifically for pets that might work?

Also as another possible temporary measure could you use a filtering pitcher?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wash his dishes all the time. I didn't think ceramic was good because - according to some sources - they can hold bacteria. Not only that, I am very clumsy and have a long hx of breaking glass by accident.
I suppose it depends on how the ceramic is baked/finished and/or otherwise treated which could make a difference in terms of porousness. I've never used one that was porous like plastic is. If not ceramic, then porcelain, although that would break easily too. I use Correlle dishes, which are actually made of a glass laminate, and while they can break, they are more resistant to doing so compared to ceramic or porcelain. My house's foundation is concrete, and I haven't yet dropped and broken a Correll dish (knock on wood).

I just think that either the stainless steel you are buying is some off brand and not worth the risk of using, or your water is eating through them. Neither sounds good or healthy for your cat. You could try the stainless steel dishes/bowls sold in pet stores and see if they corrode like the ones you have now. I have one for my cat's patio water dish and I have had it for years and years.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like some pretty questionable stainless steel
I agree. Not all stainless steel is equal. There are different types of stainless steel of different costs and quality. Many people say that stainless steel doesn't rust or corrode but, unfortunately, many of the cheaper grades do rust.

Stainless steel used to make kitchen utensils is often a cheaper grade which can corrode if not kept clean. Most things in the kitchen are used for a short time, cleaned then put away for the next use. They aren't kept submerged in liquid or food for long periods of time. Stainless steel measuring cups might be used for a few minutes before being put in the sink to be cleaned. Pet food bowls stay in contact with their contents for hours or even days before being washed. That's probably the reason why we see black gunk built up inside when we clean them.

While I can't say that that black residue is harmless, I don't think it's particularly harmful, either. Yes, you should watch out for it. Yes, you should clean it off when you see it but I also think that you should limit the amount of time that your pet food bowls are exposed to water and food.

We use stainless steel bowls for our cats' food but we change them out every day. We have several sets of identical bowls, kept in the cupboard. Every day when we make up the cats' dinners, the used bowl goes into the dishwasher and a fresh, clean one is brought out of the cupboard. We virtually never see any residue on our stainless steel cat food bowls. They get used in rotation and the used ones are cleaned every day.

If you don't like worrying about corrosion on your pet food bowls, you can change to glass or ceramic. Just be sure that the kind you use are food safe...made for holding food. Pyrex® would be a good choice. It's inert and doesn't react with things and it's pretty break/shatter resistant. That doesn't mean it won't break. Breakage is just less likely under normal use conditions. Laboratory glassware is usually made from Pyrex so you know that the stuff will stand up to almost anything that you and your cat can throw at it...provided you don't actually throw it around. ;)

You can use ceramic pet food bowls, too. Just make sure it's fully glazed with non-toxic, food safe glaze. While ceramic is more breakable than Pyrex or metal, it will sand up if you buy good quality. Just be sure to check it every time you use it to make sure that there aren't any chips or scratches in it. Replace it if the bowl starts to show signs of wear.

There is one thing that's even better. It's called Pyroceram. That's the white, glassy material that Corelle® dishware is made from. It's made by Corning, the same company that makes Pyrex and it's basically a cross between glass and ceramic. It's practically unbreakable and it's almost entirely un-reactive. If you have any old Corelle dishes in your cupboard that you don't use, maybe one of them would make a suitable cat food bowl? IMHO, Corelle/Pyroceram is the ultimate pet food bowl if you can get some.

Plastic would be my last choice unless you chose something like Viton® or Nalgene® Those are the kinds of plastic they use in laboratories and hospitals. It's a very good, strong plastic that's strong and doesn't react with very many other substances. The problem is that those kinds of plastics are expensive and would probably not be very economical.

Regardless of what bowls you use to feed your cat, it would be prudent to check them frequently for damage and signs of corrosion and replace them whenever you notice anything you don't like about them.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. Not all stainless steel is equal. There are different types of stainless steel of different costs and quality. Many people say that stainless steel doesn't rust or corrode but, unfortunately, many of the cheaper grades do rust.

Stainless steel used to make kitchen utensils is often a cheaper grade which can corrode if not kept clean. Most things in the kitchen are used for a short time, cleaned then put away for the next use. They aren't kept submerged in liquid or food for long periods of time. Stainless steel measuring cups might be used for a few minutes before being put in the sink to be cleaned. Pet food bowls stay in contact with their contents for hours or even days before being washed. That's probably the reason why we see black gunk built up inside when we clean them.

While I can't say that that black residue is harmless, I don't think it's particularly harmful, either. Yes, you should watch out for it. Yes, you should clean it off when you see it but I also think that you should limit the amount of time that your pet food bowls are exposed to water and food.

We use stainless steel bowls for our cats' food but we change them out every day. We have several sets of identical bowls, kept in the cupboard. Every day when we make up the cats' dinners, the used bowl goes into the dishwasher and a fresh, clean one is brought out of the cupboard. We virtually never see any residue on our stainless steel cat food bowls. They get used in rotation and the used ones are cleaned every day.

If you don't like worrying about corrosion on your pet food bowls, you can change to glass or ceramic. Just be sure that the kind you use are food safe...made for holding food. Pyrex® would be a good choice. It's inert and doesn't react with things and it's pretty break/shatter resistant. That doesn't mean it won't break. Breakage is just less likely under normal use conditions. Laboratory glassware is usually made from Pyrex so you know that the stuff will stand up to almost anything that you and your cat can throw at it...provided you don't actually throw it around. ;)

You can use ceramic pet food bowls, too. Just make sure it's fully glazed with non-toxic, food safe glaze. While ceramic is more breakable than Pyrex or metal, it will sand up if you buy good quality. Just be sure to check it every time you use it to make sure that there aren't any chips or scratches in it. Replace it if the bowl starts to show signs of wear.

There is one thing that's even better. It's called Pyroceram. That's the white, glassy material that Corelle® dishware is made from. It's made by Corning, the same company that makes Pyrex and it's basically a cross between glass and ceramic. It's practically unbreakable and it's almost entirely un-reactive. If you have any old Corelle dishes in your cupboard that you don't use, maybe one of them would make a suitable cat food bowl? IMHO, Corelle/Pyroceram is the ultimate pet food bowl if you can get some.

Plastic would be my last choice unless you chose something like Viton® or Nalgene® Those are the kinds of plastic they use in laboratories and hospitals. It's a very good, strong plastic that's strong and doesn't react with very many other substances. The problem is that those kinds of plastics are expensive and would probably not be very economical.

Regardless of what bowls you use to feed your cat, it would be prudent to check them frequently for damage and signs of corrosion and replace them whenever you notice anything you don't like about them.
The black residue is on new bowls. Once they're broken in, so to speak, it usually goes away. As far as our water supply i s concerned, I will have to get another filter, possibly a Berkey I never thought about Pyrex or Correlle. Thank you!

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose it depends on how the ceramic is baked/finished and/or otherwise treated which could make a difference in terms of porousness. I've never used one that was porous like plastic is. If not ceramic, then porcelain, although that would break easily too. I use Correlle dishes, which are actually made of a glass laminate, and while they can break, they are more resistant to doing so compared to ceramic or porcelain. My house's foundation is concrete, and I haven't yet dropped and broken a Correll dish (knock on wood).

I just think that either the stainless steel you are buying is some off brand and not worth the risk of using, or your water is eating through them. Neither sounds good or healthy for your cat. You could try the stainless steel dishes/bowls sold in pet stores and see if they corrode like the ones you have now. I have one for my cat's patio water dish and I have had it for years and years.
I will look up Correlle and Pyrex online right now. I believe Walmart probably carries them. Tx.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you utilize ebay, and find older stainless steel bowls, not necessarily specifically for pets that might work?

Also as another possible temporary measure could you use a filtering pitcher?
I think that after reading some of the other comments, I will go with either Correlle or Pyrex. Plus I need to get a better water filtration system. Thank you!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus I need to get a better water filtration system.
Unless you have known issues with your water, you shouldn't spend a lot of money on filters and things. Most filters that you buy in stores are pretty junky. The only ones I would use are the pitcher style like Brita.

If you use water from a municipal supply, not well water, you should check your supplier's water quality report. Municipalities are required by Federal law to send all their customers are full quality report at least once per year. You should have gotten one with your water bill, at some point. Everybody should read it. If they don't understand something, ask somebody who does.

If you don't remember seeing a water quality report, most municipalities post them on-line. Go to your water supplier's website and look.

The water where I live is some of the best. We have chlorine in the water but pouring it into a pitcher and letting it stand for a day or so usually resolves any problems. Some of the people living out in the county areas use well water and some of those have sulfur in their water. A household water conditioner usually does the trick.

If you live in an area with sulfur or other minerals in the water, that's the only time I'd recommend an expensive water filter.

For most people, a pitcher style water filter like Brita is the only thing I'd recommend for filtering drinking water for our pets and ourselves.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless you have known issues with your water, you shouldn't spend a lot of money on filters and things. Most filters that you buy in stores are pretty junky. The only ones I would use are the pitcher style like Brita.

If you use water from a municipal supply, not well water, you should check your supplier's water quality report. Municipalities are required by Federal law to send all their customers are full quality report at least once per year. You should have gotten one with your water bill, at some point. Everybody should read it. If they don't understand something, ask somebody who does.

If you don't remember seeing a water quality report, most municipalities post them on-line. Go to your water supplier's website and look.

The water where I live is some of the best. We have chlorine in the water but pouring it into a pitcher and letting it stand for a day or so usually resolves any problems. Some of the people living out in the county areas use well water and some of those have sulfur in their water. A household water conditioner usually does the trick.

If you live in an area with sulfur or other minerals in the water, that's the only time I'd recommend an expensive water filter.

For most people, a pitcher style water filter like Brita is the only thing I'd recommend for filtering drinking water for our pets and ourselves.
I just ordered some new Correlle bowls for Pumpkin's water and a couple of smaller ceramic bowls for his wet food. As for the water, I ordered a Pur countertop dispenser system, kind of like a very large pitcher. All of this will be delivered later today.

I had no idea that such issues would come from using stainless steel dishes or the city water. I live in an apartment building but will see if I can find the water quality report. I hope it's online.

All this time I thought that by sticking with stainless steel dishes I was helping him. The vet knows that's all I've been using since I adopted him over 11 years ago. Maybe the quality has gone downhill since then. Manufacturers could be using a cheaper grade material for these bowls, I don't know. I would hate to think that something I got for Pumpkin to help him may actually be hurting him.

I feel really bad about this, like I'm a lousy pet mommy. I would do anything for him. I love him to pieces.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, stainless steel won't hurt an otherwise healthy cat, even if it rusts. He'll just get a little bit more iron in his diet. ;)

Stainless steel is basically just a recipe made from regular steel. Usually, they add more nickel to the alloy. Nickel is relatively inert for a metal. It is very hard and resists corrosion under most conditions. That's why they add it to the mix, to make it stronger and more corrosion resistant.

There is a lot of bullshit, floating around, when it comes to water quality and stuff like that. We hear it so often that it becomes like the truth. The only way to get the truth is from reliable sources like your water quality report.

It's good that you're switching to Corelle and using a pitcher filter. :)

I think you'll be fine! :)

Last edited:

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can pick up cheap Corelle and Pyrex as yard sales or estate sales. That's how I got a lot of my cat dishes!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW: Just for information... If you look on your stainless cookware and bowls, you might see a stamp that says "18/8" or something similar. That marking tells you the composition of the steel. (AKA: The grade.)

The usual grade of stainless you're likely to find is 18/8. That means that there is 18% chromium and 8% nickel added to steel. It's a good grade of steel for general purpose use because it has good quality for an affordable cost.

You might also find grades of stainless like "304" or similar. Those have molybdenum and other elements added to make them even stronger and more resistant. However, they are more expensive. 18/8 and 304 are the most common grades you'll find around the house. You might also find 308 and 316 which are even higher grades...and even more expensive. 18/8 is fine for most household use. It won't rust or corrode, provided you give it reasonable maintenance and cleaning. (i.e. Clean it after use and don't let it sit in water or let food get crusted on it.) If you do see corrosion, rust or other damage, throw it out and get new...all common sense.

It is very unlikely that any grade of stainless steel will leach anything into your food if you maintain it properly. That's the reason why they use it in restaurants and hospitals.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, stainless steel won't hurt an otherwise healthy cat, even if it rusts. He'll just get a little bit more iron in his diet. ;)

Stainless steel is basically just a recipe made from regular steel. Usually, they add more nickel to the alloy. Nickel is relatively inert for a metal. It is very hard and resists corrosion under most conditions. That's why they add it to the mix, to make it stronger and more corrosion resistant.

There is a lot of bullshit, floating around, when it comes to water quality and stuff like that. We hear it so often that it becomes like the truth. The only way to get the truth is from reliable sources like your water quality report.

It's good that you're switching to Corelle and using a pitcher filter. :)

I think you'll be fine! :)
Thank you! Just when I thought I was doing things perfectly, to the letter, I learn something new. I still feel like I failed him.

I will look up that water report later. The new bowls and filter will be here in a few hours. I hope this will help him.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he's had a couple of stainless steel fountains in the past but they had maintenance issues so went back to using bowls. He seems fine with that change.

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW: Just for information... If you look on your stainless cookware and bowls, you might see a stamp that says "18/8" or something similar. That marking tells you the composition of the steel. (AKA: The grade.)

The usual grade of stainless you're likely to find is 18/8. That means that there is 18% chromium and 8% nickel added to steel. It's a good grade of steel for general purpose use because it has good quality for an affordable cost.

You might also find grades of stainless like "304" or similar. Those have molybdenum and other elements added to make them even stronger and more resistant. However, they are more expensive. 18/8 and 304 are the most common grades you'll find around the house. You might also find 308 and 316 which are even higher grades...and even more expensive. 18/8 is fine for most household use. It won't rust or corrode, provided you give it reasonable maintenance and cleaning. (i.e. Clean it after use and don't let it sit in water or let food get crusted on it.) If you do see corrosion, rust or other damage, throw it out and get new...all common sense.

It is very unlikely that any grade of stainless steel will leach anything into your food if you maintain it properly. That's the reason why they use it in restaurants and hospitals.
I looked at the bottom of those new bowls that haven't been used yet and couldn't find the grade. One would think it s/b required.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ceramic, glass and porcelain are good for use and my boy has been using them for over 8 years. Yes, these products in the long run will have hairline cracks and bacteria may form in them but they are way better than plastics.

My practice everyday is soak the plates my boy eats from with hot water and hot water will kill off the bacteria in the hairline cracks and also clear any residue that is on the plates. And yes, you have to be careful with them as hard knocks will crack the plates or even breaking them when dropped.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well your Vet is right stainless steel is the safest for cats but here the thing

Quoted from Preventive Vet

In most cases, stainless steel is considered the 'best' material for cat food and water bowls. You want to purchase those labeled as grade 304 or 18/8. The numbers indicate the quality, durability, and resistance to corrosion. This grade of steel is the most common one used in food prep items.

Also,believe it or not its best to avoid stainless that is labeled "pet use" only which are typically a lesser grade quality than most " food prep" items that must meet the standards for humans

Btw,I use ceramic,clean them daily and replace often as they chip or wear

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could use pyrex containers for water and perhaps there's a shallow one that would do for food.

I can't use ceramic anymore because I have a visual disability and it causes me break things a bit more frequently. Especially when tired which of course is the last time when you want to be cleaning up cat food mixed with glass.

However, pyrex is made to be travelled with. It's pretty break resistant.