Black Domestic Shorthair or Bombay (or a mix)?

bizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This entire discussion on Bombay Cats intrigues me. We have a cat that was dropped off and abandoned in late February 2017. He is not a Bombay, as he is a black and white Tuxedo cat. Other than that, he has ALL of the personality traits of a Bombay including silky fur for his black portions of his coat. He is also a solid robust cat, much heavier than he appears. Our older male DSH tabby is a long and lean cat at 8 to 9 pounds, but Purrcy is edging in on 11 pounds, even though visually he is much smaller than our older cat! Our Vet estimated that he was 1 to 2 years old when he was dropped off and he adopted us! He showed up at the backsliding door to our deck and was very comfortable and ready to walk right into our house. We only let him in and kept him in a crate when it dropped to single digits outside, until he was cleared medically to be around our other cats. all of the walking around my feet and playfulness applies, he is VERY intelligent and trainable. Of course my other cat at over 11 years old I also trained, and as Purrcy is learning to do, responds to voice commands.
Don't get hung up in the breed terminology, especially since Bombay is a special combination that produces many kittens without the perfect Bombay definition. You cat like ours has terrific traits of Burmese cats (Bombay cats are considered black Burmese cats by many experts !!) as well as some of American black shorthairs. You should consider these great cross-breed traits as special to your cat and enjoy him. 11 to 12 pounds is normal adult male weight in these cases. They are terribly intelligent and pensive about everything. Definitely trainable by someone knowlegeable like yourself. You are very lucky to have him as a member of the family !! Ours is 2 years and 8 months at this point and is firmly entrenched now. Really makes life interesting and fun.

Pantherlover95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found Pepper at an Animal Rescue. Playful and talkative, he has a stocky and muscular build. Despite being the youngest cat in our home, he has become the alpha but mostly wants everyone's attention. He follows me into every room and meows behind closed doors when I want privacy. He has a voracious appetite and begs for the food bowl. He's 14 pounds, so we've begun a stricter feeding schedule in an effort to help him drop a little weight--hence the begging. He likes to play with his food, but only eats dry food now. We fed him wet from six months old, but since he discovered dry, he won't go near the wet. He's approximately 1 year and 5 months old.

He doesn't always initiate cuddle time, but will nuzzle if you pet him. He also seems to enjoy being held for short spurts of time before he sees something else he'd like to play with. He attacks pant legs as you walk by, and has an affinity for socks but only when you are wearing them. This cat meows at everything--he is constantly chasing shadows and seems to make a toy out of anything he finds. He always greets us at the door with loud purrs. He loves to run and attack walls, doors, and the vertical blinds by the slider. He has an affinity for the ice maker and runs every time we are getting ice--he waits for a cube to drop and then plays hockey with it all around the kitchen and sometimes in the living room, too.

He has a very shiny and compact coat, black paws/pads and a very solid build. He sashays when he walks with a slight wiggle to his butt. He has a short muzzle and large golden eyes. When he's catching a nap in low light conditions, you cannot even see his face since his eyes are closed and rest of his face just blends into the darkness. I cannot believe that he isn't at least a relative of a Bombay given his physical traits and his behaviors, although he does have two white patches: one on the chest and one below the stomach.

So, given this information, is he just a plain old black domestic shorthair with that striking shiny coat and those gleaming eyes or is he part Bombay?

I have the same problem. No knowledge of his background and no way to check his lineage. No matter the odds though there is always a constant slim chance he could be something more.

Attachments