Black Domestic Shorthair or Bombay (or a mix)?

technokat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found Pepper at an Animal Rescue. Playful and talkative, he has a stocky and muscular build. Despite being the youngest cat in our home, he has become the alpha but mostly wants everyone's attention. He follows me into every room and meows behind closed doors when I want privacy. He has a voracious appetite and begs for the food bowl. He's 14 pounds, so we've begun a stricter feeding schedule in an effort to help him drop a little weight--hence the begging. He likes to play with his food, but only eats dry food now. We fed him wet from six months old, but since he discovered dry, he won't go near the wet. He's approximately 1 year and 5 months old.

He doesn't always initiate cuddle time, but will nuzzle if you pet him. He also seems to enjoy being held for short spurts of time before he sees something else he'd like to play with. He attacks pant legs as you walk by, and has an affinity for socks but only when you are wearing them. This cat meows at everything--he is constantly chasing shadows and seems to make a toy out of anything he finds. He always greets us at the door with loud purrs. He loves to run and attack walls, doors, and the vertical blinds by the slider. He has an affinity for the ice maker and runs every time we are getting ice--he waits for a cube to drop and then plays hockey with it all around the kitchen and sometimes in the living room, too.

He has a very shiny and compact coat, black paws/pads and a very solid build. He sashays when he walks with a slight wiggle to his butt. He has a short muzzle and large golden eyes. When he's catching a nap in low light conditions, you cannot even see his face since his eyes are closed and rest of his face just blends into the darkness. I cannot believe that he isn't at least a relative of a Bombay given his physical traits and his behaviors, although he does have two white patches: one on the chest and one below the stomach.

So, given this information, is he just a plain old black domestic shorthair with that striking shiny coat and those gleaming eyes or is he part Bombay?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is no need to beat about the bushes and tell he is perhaps part bombay.

Either he is not, - being a domestic - statistics talks for it! - or he is a pet quality one, because of these white spots, and the breeder sold him cheaply.  And that is why he come to the shelter in next step.

Observe, Im not expert on Bombays nor Burmas.  But a little stocky, muscular, very energetic and talkative sounds like Burma, and thus its akin Bombay.

I dont know enough about their eyes and other exact features to decide more.

As an overall rule of thumb, beatifull black cats there is quite a lot, but real bombays is only just [] a few. [edit: very few]  Literally just "some drops in the ocean".

Technically, without papers, he must be counted as domestic, even if you had good suspicions.  But it is of course a nice pastime to dream he may be purebred after all, when he was a kitten.   :)

Can you improve his story from this shelter?  They perhaps know where he come from?

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

technokat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We know nothing about his background except that he was a rescued stray that was born feral, at least to the knowledge of the shelter director.

I have no designs on looking for any kind of pedigree privileges--just curious to know if my stocky and beautiful boy has any Bombay in him. He is very unique compared to our other two in build, conversation and overall personality. All cats are unique, yes, but this one is just so unusual to us.

Thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated! :wavey:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hey there's no "just" about a gorgeous Black Domestic Shorthair.  You should've seen the one I saw at a show this weekend.  Absolutely stunning cat. 

Pepper sure is a handsome cat too. 

Just discussing appearance first,   I  do not think he really looks much like a Bombay,  and I have seen Bombays in real life.  A  friend of mine,  who has served as chair of the Burmese / Bombay breed committee in TICA,   of course has Burmese and I've helped show a Bombay of hers as well as her  Burms.    

I would not call that a short muzzle,  not compared to what Bombays and Burmese look like in America.   Some of them are about as flat faced as a Persian,  and even the ones known as Traditional Burmese or Bombay have shorter muzzles than this.  

Also the Burms  and Bombays have a more domed head.   This cat's forehead is quite different looking.  

He's also larger than they usually get. 

And his eyes appear to be  much paler than the copper eyes of the Bombay.  

and the white locket is not common even in pet quality .  

It's hard to see from the photos how cobby he is.   

but on the whole, I am really not seeing much that reminds me of a Bombay besides the shiny black coat that DSHs can have too -- but are far more likely to have a bit of white like Pepper does. 

Of course mixes can be very difficult to tell.  They're not likely to get all the features of a cat who has been selectively bred.  so sure,  a white locket or paler eyes or larger size or longer muzzle don't rule out him being a mix with some Burmese / Bombay in him.     

But Burmese are now a pretty rare breed here.   Bombays are essentially black Burmese.  and they're even more rare.    ( Actually all the pedigree cats together are only about 3% of pet cats.  so you can imagine what a tiny percent individual breeds are.   and this is not one of the more common breeds. 

Just for comparison,  both Burmese and Bombays in the U.S. are more rare than a hairless Sphynx cat.  but of course it's much easier for people to think a random-bred cat might be a Bombay,  because there's a lot more random bred  cats with black short hair than random-bred cats with NO hair!    And that big group of black DSHs come in a variety of shapes and sizes,  so some of them are stocky.    

It is virtually certain that a rescued stray born feral is not a Bombay and would be unlikely to have a large amount of Burmese / Bombay ancestry.  He's probably mostly  random- bred domestic shorthair of Western background , similar to some of the early American Shorthair ancestors of the Bombay.    But the Bombay breed has by now ended up much more Burmese than American Shorthair.   

He sounds like a  wonderful cat   whatever his ancestry may be ,  and unfortunately it's impossible to know it for sure.   

and there's such a range of personality in DSHs that  I wouldn't use that as any sure guide to breed,   just an extra when there is a lot stronger suggestion in the appearance.  

But...   it is possible he does have a bit of Southeast Asian ancestry influencing his temperament.  Burmese isn't impossible but it could also be a little touch of Siamese.   

It sounds like at least in spirit , he has a lot in common with cats from that part of the world.    

technokat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your evaluation. He is the chattiest cat we have, very talkative like some Siamese we have met. I know it is difficult to tell from the photos, but he is built like a football player--there is nothing delicate about him like with the domestic cats we have who stand so daintily. I've been perusing photos online of Bombay and Burmese cats and it appears that they do have a very flat muzzle--yes. They do appear related to the Persians that way. Pepper has an odd nose--not necessarily flat--and his head is very rounded and a bit broader than our other two domestics. He is rather big, though. His fur is so silky, soft, and sleek that you are drawn to petting him. If we are talking to the other cats, he has to interrupt and get in the space between us and the cats to get some attention, too.

My husband sent me an email about the Super Pet Expo in NJ in February--I am hopeful that we will see some very sweet exotic breeds there.

Thank you again for the information.

Pepper

is our love, as with our girl Shadow 

and our boy Shade

We are very blessed they chose us.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 There's also Meet the Breeds coming up in NYC next month.    I'm not sure how close you are to the city but it is quite an event with 200 + breeds of dogs and cats.

technokat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That sounds great. I will certainly look into it as we are close enough to NYC to drive there. Thank you again.

catgirl25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello technokat - just wondering if you ever found out what type of cat pepper is? My Reggie sounds very similar to pepper, even to the exact locations of the white markings that you mentioned. I also got Reggie from a shelter and have very little info on his background. He's about 1 year now and weighs 13.9 pounds.

Thanks!

technokat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, we didn't do any more research. Got really busy, but maybe someday we'll find out for sure. Pepper, although three years old now, still has the playfulness end curiosity of a kitten.

youwillbesol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiancée and I have a Bombay. She has one eye because before we got her she was neglected. Not sure the full story because we found her. I know she is a Bombay because she has everything a Bombay has. Including the unique purr. So to look up on YouTube for Bombay purr.if your cat purrs like that then you more than likely have a Bombay.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Technokat, your Pepper looks a lot like my Sgt Pepper! The pics of yours in the laundry basket, chair and window could be mine. So handsome! My sister found Sgt Pepper as an abandoned kitten and brought him to me, like a decade ago. He isn't so alpha though. My calico is the alpha of the two. Your description of Pepper is very similar too. He is all black except one small white spot on his chest. He photographs blue sometimes, the way his fur catches the light. I've always assumed he is a DSH, perhaps a

trace of Bombay somewhere way way back in his gene pool. Who knows? It doesn't really matter. He's a sweet companion

Last edited by a moderator:

bizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your question.   We have the same one.  You described our young 6 month old kitten exactly.  He is now up to 8.6 pounds, is very fast, loves to run and especially to jump.  He can now jump to about 5 feet from standing on the floor.   Also he loves dry food and prefers only the gravy found in wet foods, especially tuna.  

He has 4 white hairs on his right shoulder and a few singletons scattered about his chest.  His facial features are those of a Burmese, but with greenish to gold eyes.  Beautiful coat and long tail.  He can do the Halloween cat trick with his hunched back and tail to entertain us.  Yes, he is no ordinary cat and he came to us after passing through two different pounds (at 4 months).    He also then does a Michael Jackson moonwalk sideways to entertain us.

And yes, vocal.  We think he is "the inspector" who has to see into everything around. Talks, cuddles and is great company.  Loves Sesame Street on TV, the muppets in particular, and Nickelodian cartoons with the animated trucks.   Like to do chin/beard bumps when I am reclining and to be massaged all over in the process.

After doing a lot of research, I am sure that he is at least part American black shorthair, part sable Burmese and a dash of someone else in the woodpile (family tree). But who cares, you are so right about the loveable kids they are.    Active, beautiful, friendly.  What more could we want?

Best wishes in controlling your cat's weight.  We don't have that problem yet, but are aware to watch out.

youwillbesol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I just found this again, but my Bombay likes to fetch, play in water. Ride in my car, and doesn't other cars but loves dogs. Bombay are explosive and energetic cats, as well as a nice cuddle buddy aka a lap cat. Mine is laying on my lap and hasbeen all day.

bizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We haven't yet allowed our cat to play in water.  He is awed by the shower,  but other than being sprinkled with water, he has not ventured further into the tub/shower.   He was in awe of the first rain shower

we had this year in Southern California.  He was born after rains ended this past winter.  It sounded like the shower.  Since he could only watch through the window, he was perplexed.

He has adapted well to his harness and leash, but we have not taken him out or for a ride in the car (except the vet, which will be a bad association)   He likes to chase the things we throw to him,

but does not yet understand "fetch".    While he watches all the wild animals (raccoons, skunks, possums, feral cats, etc.) from the windows, he has only heard a dog barking and has no concept yet

of what they are like.   He does not like other cats, especially other males.

At 6 and 1/2 months old, he now hits 9.6 pounds,  has a great appetite for dry food (Science Diet) and for gravy only with wet food.

gizmo2005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not an expert my cat looks almost identical to yours and he is half Persian half British shorthair so maybe he is a mix of those too? What a beauty

bizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's interesting to see all the tricks genetics can play with mixed breeds.   Monkey appears identical to Bombay cat pictures shown by breeders and by international associations.

Being part Persian would account for longer hair which Monkey may have - yes/no?  His eyes are copper which is typical of some Bombay cats.   Unless you have breeding papers

for his ancestry, there is really no way to know.   Bombays seem to have a distinctive purr and an unusual purr-meow combination.  They are muscular, very short hair, and extremely

vocal and affectionate (more like a dog).  Certainly they do not resemble any cat we have ever had or been in contact with.   Monkey, regards of lineage, is a neat cat.  Enjoy him.

bizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat seems to enjoy dry food best.   We serve him wet food, but he really only likes the gravy leaves the solid chunks behind.   We add water to the wet food to get more into his diet, as recommended by

a cat lover with 5 males.  He does also drink that water.   Does anyone know of a cat wet food that is mostly gravy without the bits?   Obviously he is quite spoiled.

jacquelinem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if you ever received an answer but we had the same issue with our cat Furby - also a talker:-)   We had to get her off dry food because of pre-diabetes and Friskies shreds really helped a lot.   Furby definately only liked gravy foods at first.  Now she will eat fancy feast pate but it really took some time and taking her totally off dry which she loved.