Black 'crust' Around Cat's Mouth And Tips/treats For Dental Health?

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my one cat may be having some dental issues, so I have a vet appointment scheduled for her next week. She licks her lips a lot sometimes and I noticed recently she' been having like this black crusty stuff around her lower lips. I'm not sure how you would really describe it or what to call it? It's like this black, hard stuff that looks kind of like tar? She hates it when I do, but it comes off with some rubbing from a wet, warm washcloth. It hasn't happened again since I wiped it off and I've looked up some things. The most I could find was a dead forum years ago with similar experiences. A few people mentioned it could be caused by teeth issues. She eats and drinks just fine though and has no other issues. So I'm not sure. Does anyone have any insight on what it could be?

And the dead forum posts about cat dental health got me thinking a little. You can't brush your cat's teeth as you can sometimes with dogs. How do you keep their teeth healthy? Is there some sort of recommended treats or something anyone has experience with? I know they have things for dogs, but I can't seem to find anything locally in stores for cats. Because I'd really like to try and make sure my cat kids have good dental health. I can hardly get my cats to swallow pills (for medicine when needed) I know for sure they won't let me brush their teeth.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The black crust around the outside of the mouth could be feline acne. Plastic bowls are thought to cause acne in some cats. The vet will be able to tell you how to treat it. Wiping the mouth with a warm washcloth daily and combing out the specks with a fine toothed comb helps. If you're using plastic bowls, switch to stainless steel bowls.

And the dead forum posts about cat dental health got me thinking a little. You can't brush your cat's teeth as you can sometimes with dogs. How do you keep their teeth healthy?
You can brush a cat's teeth:agree: Use only pet toothpaste and a small pet toothbrush or finger brush.

What Tcs Members Use: Cat Dental Health Care
Brushing Your Cat's Teeth | Partners in Animal Health

CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular with many TCS members. Cats love it. You can buy this online (Amazon, Chewy, etc) if your vet doesn't sell it. Chain pet stores do not sell CET but independent pet stores may. The CET mini cat toothbrush works great.

Not too many cats will allow you to brush their teeth so it takes patience and rewards to get a cat to hold more or less still while you swab around in their mouths for a few seconds.

Most dental treats don't work, IMO. Feline Greenies, etc are too small to do much of anything. The CET dental chews are probably the only ones that require a cat to really chew and gnaw on the treat to break it up into easy to swallow pieces.

Some people like to give raw chicken necks and gizzards for dental health purposes.

I can hardly get my cats to swallow pills (for medicine when needed) I know for sure they won't let me brush their teeth.
Pill Pockets and other similar doughs work great for pills. Many medicines can also be compounded into another form for easier administration, such as a flavored chew treat or transdermal gel.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a VERY off-the-wall thought...Cats have facial scent glands which they use to mark their territory. They secrete a black, waxy substance which you can sometimes find on door frames, table legs, etc. where they've been rubbing their face. I've never seen it ON a cat before, but it might just possibly be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked up feline acne and the pictures just aren't at all what it was like. It wasn't super crusty or in patches like skin irritation would be. It was like maybe dried drool? That's the most I can come up with. Next time it happens I'll have to try and get a picture of it. It was more sticky than anything right around the edge of her lower lip.

The facial scent glands theory seems somewhat plausible actually. I always thought they only had them like on their cheeks, but I guess there are a few around their mouth too. Since it is right around her lip near where it's showing me one of the glands are.
Thank you for those links about dental care, I'll definitely be checking them out! I'm doubtful I'll be able to train them to let me brush their teeth though, but I'll give it a try. They're older and pretty set in their ways.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not much I can offer, but as a first attempt you could try using your finger with some 'yummy' wet food (or even cat pouch gravies, Gerber Baby Food meats) the cats like and just rub your cats teeth with it. If you can get them used to that, then maybe you could move on to some toothpaste for cats on your fingers. After that, perhaps try a finger brush. It's worth a try, anyway!

Keep us posted - especially about the vet visit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grillby

Proud cat mom of eight
Young Cat
Purraise
I had some personal things crop up so couldn't post. The vet had something come up and had to reschedule her appointment. Just got home from that. She didn't get to look at her teeth but said she sounds really congested. I told her about the black crust and such but go figure for her vet visit she had none.

But she got an antibiotic shot and got dewormed since I asked for it just in case. So hopefully she starts feeling a little better.

vogeltje

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my one cat may be having some dental issues, so I have a vet appointment scheduled for her next week. She licks her lips a lot sometimes and I noticed recently she' been having like this black crusty stuff around her lower lips. I'm not sure how you would really describe it or what to call it? It's like this black, hard stuff that looks kind of like tar? She hates it when I do, but it comes off with some rubbing from a wet, warm washcloth. It hasn't happened again since I wiped it off and I've looked up some things. The most I could find was a dead forum years ago with similar experiences. A few people mentioned it could be caused by teeth issues. She eats and drinks just fine though and has no other issues. So I'm not sure. Does anyone have any insight on what it could be?

And the dead forum posts about cat dental health got me thinking a little. You can't brush your cat's teeth as you can sometimes with dogs. How do you keep their teeth healthy? Is there some sort of recommended treats or something anyone has experience with? I know they have things for dogs, but I can't seem to find anything locally in stores for cats. Because I'd really like to try and make sure my cat kids have good dental health. I can hardly get my cats to swallow pills (for medicine when needed) I know for sure they won't let me brush their teeth.