Biting when picked up

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm back again for another question about my one year old cat, Onyx. Here's the situation, I live in a one bedroom apartment with a bathroom, a bedroom, a kitchen, and a living room. He is not allowed in the bedroom because of allergies. I also have two gerbil tanks (with strong tops) in the living room area where he's at. He just recently learned to jump up on them. Now, he hasn't gotten to the gerbils, but I worry. I have tried double sided tape on the tanks, but that no longer works. So, I have resorted to picking him up and putting him on another surface (couch, desk, cat tree) and leaving him in the kitchen when I have to leave the house. 

This is a problem for two main reasons: Number one - I can't do it all day, and two after removing him from the tanks several times he starts to bite me hard. 

A few caveats - I can't move the gerbils into the bedroom because of lack of space, I am never rough when I pick him up and the vet says he's healthy (so he shouldn't have hot spots).

What can I do? Please help! Thank you.

Edited to add: I don't blame him for the instinct/desire to jump on the tanks, but I'd still like to find a solution if I can.

Last edited:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats honestly hate being picked up - I have one who, while you can do it, you do so at your own risk. 

Two things I found worked to keep my cats off surfaces I didn't want them on:

1. Put down a sheet of aluminum foil. Most cats have the feel and sound of walking on foil, so will hop off immediately. 

2. For our more determined cat, we got a small piece that plastic floor runner you sometimes see in show homes and flipped it upside-down so the little nobbly bits faced up. She hated walking on those little bits and wouldn't jump up on whatever we put that may on.

I hope that helps. I'm sure some of our other members will have more ideas for you. 

tnrcatwoman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about using plywood as a second top for the cage(s)? You could put some nickle sized holes in them if they need the top to let air in. Does your kitty have several places to lay in just for him that are up high? Maybe one near a window would help deter Onyx from wanting to be on the gerbil tanks. I would stop picking him up if he's uncomfortable with it, perhaps get him to come off on his own with a toy or treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Those are great suggestions. I'll have to find the floor runners. He actually LOVES being carried as long as it isn't away from where he wants to be. :p

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks! Those are great suggestions. I'll have to find the floor runners. He actually LOVES being carried as long as it isn't away from where he wants to be. :p
 That's so typically 'cat.'

The best place we found for the floor runners was the local hardware store. They sold it in 12" increments on a roll in the carpet section, so can cut it to size for you.