Binx's mom here, with a question

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

As you may notice, I am new here and also to cat ownership (or being a cat slave, as my sister calls it).

I recently adopted a 1y/o male RB, Binx, about a month ago, and he has yet to open up to me. He's completely comfortable around the apartment (even the vacuum cleaner!) and gums/cheek rubs all over everything, except me. Considering I'm new to this and his breed, I'm at a loss of what I can do to make him feel that I am trustworthy (instead of just a food, water, and waste disposal machine).

One thing I've been seriously considering, is the idea of adopting an older, female RB who needs a home (and is touted to be a total love bug), who could be a companion to Binx, and also show him that I'm not a scary giant, but a loving caretaker. I'm also considering it because my next semester in college is going to be brutal, and I don't want him becoming lonely or depressed.

Any advice/suggestions? I've been doing my best not to love all over him (as I've been told that makes some cats uncomfortable), play with him on his terms, etc... but I feel like I'm missing out on the fuzz therapy I really need.

Thanks in advance, y'all.

V/r,

Raksha

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I adopted my first cat around 3 months ago too and I'll say, I think my cat changed a lot from the first month to now. He was a floppy, quiet cat his first month. Now? He meows pretty loud and will jump on everything like he owns the place. 

So I wouldn't worry if he's not being cuddly as long as he's not being aggressive towards you. I think in time, he'll warm up to you.

Some things you can try doing would be petting him while he's eating so he associates your pets with good food. Drape shirt you've worn on his bed so he gets familiar with your smell. But ultimately, time will tell.

(My cat isn't the cuddly kind. I call it a blessing if he decides to sit near me. Haha! I just keep crossing my fingers that with age, he'll be more cuddly.)

And adopting a second cat is awesome! I'm not familiar with Russian Blue cats though. I know some cats won't do well with another cat but some do VERY well! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Raksha, and welcome!

Russians are pretty self-sufficient cats.  I have two and they both have different personalities, but I find both want attention on their terms (like a lot of cats!). Nilah, the girl, wasn't particularly cuddly, but now she's always curling up in bed with me..That evolved over a few years.  The boy is a lap-sitter, but usually half an hour is his limit. Both of them are quite shy around strangers which is said to be a Russian trait, but then there is always the exception to the rule, which @MServant can attest to.

I actually think a lot of Russians are quite happy without another cat around... they do like to own their humans!   

I was just going to stay with my girl, but a little boy with a severe health issue desperately needed adopting so I took him on.  They don't really like each other much, and it's been two years, so I can't see it changing; she's six and he's two.   They have a kind of sibling rivalry relationship and chase each other around a lot

So my advice would be slowly, slowly.  Lie or sit around where your boy is without expectation.  Lots of games.  And cat friendly places for him... high up spots etc.

Another cat may or may not work.. honestly it's just too hard to tell.  I would never adopt a cat purely as company for another cat unless I knew there was a good chance it would work..  But I would definitely adopt another cat if you want her, she needs a home and you can manage two.  You would just go very slowly and carefully with the introductions.

At least my two give each other plenty of exercise...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone, for your insight! I've only had Binx for a month, now, so maybe I'm being a bit preemptive in my approach. I appreciate all the comments about RB personality differences, and the need for patience.