Big Setback...Where to Go from Here?

SavedbyCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm introducing a 3year old female to my resident 5 year old and 3 year old females. Things were going really well. I have the screen door set up and yesterday there was only a hiss or two from my resident cats and they hung out by the bathroom door watching the new cat through the screen.

Well today I was spending my daughter's nap time in there to spend time with the new cat. I bring a pillow to lay down and I had my head to the door blocking it because I knew she could escape from the bottom of the screen (we can't secure it to the floor because it's carpet on the outside of the door and the door opens inward to the bathroom so we can't attach it to the inside where it could stick to tile). Well the 5year old darted under the screen and came right into the bathroom. She ran over to the carrier in there and new cat jumped on the toilet to check it out. The 5year old flipped and hissed and started swatting so of course the new cat did the same. There was no contact and when I approached the 5year old ran out.

I'm so upset. I found our 5yo had peed on my husbands gaming chair after this(I cleaned it with nature's miracle) and then she hissed at the closed door when she heard the new cat making noise trying to get out. We are using calming collars and have two feliway multicat diffusers going. Everything was going pretty well for only being a week and a half in and now I feel like everything is ruined. I'm especially freaked out she peed on the chair. I'm thinking I will go back to no visual contact for at least a week. Anything else I should be doing?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Setbacks happen and cats will be cats. Just go back to the beginning with no site barrier between them. Don’t be upset by hissing. Think of hissing as a cat saying they don’t want to interact. That’s all. Cats will hiss as a means to keep theirs away. Sounds like both cats didn’t want interaction at that time and your resident cat was probably thankful you chased her away.

Just go back to the start and give it enough time that there is no more hissing. Then start scent swapping again.

One thing to remember is that you want the resident cat to associate the new cat with good things. So, resident cat smells new cat on a blanket, gets a treat or food. Do this enough and resident cat associates new cat smell with a good snack.

lissalouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was first introducing my now-departed cat Lou to my current cat Rory, I had a similar incident. Lou was at least 10 and Rory was about 4, for perspective. I was walking into the bathroom when suddenly construction started happening in the upstairs apartment--they were tearing out the floors! The rattling completely unhinged the baby gate blocking Rory in his safe room, and he ran out, knocking the gate over, which spooked Lou. They both ended up darting underneath my bed. Luckily nothing happened; I came in, got Rory out from the bed, put him back in his room, and closed the door until I could fix the gate. But it definitely set things back a few days.

But just a few days.

I was so nervous back then about every hiss. But now I realize that it really is just boundary setting. It is not the cat saying "I hate you" or "I never want to see you again" or "I am so furious that my mother dared to bring you into my sanctuary" or whatever feelings we project onto it. It's just a "hey, yo, too close, leave me alone" sound. Or an "oh jeez, I am so uncomfortable right now, need space." It is through these things that cats learn about each other's boundaries. Lou never hissed until Rory was out in the main room with us, and even then it was only when he was telling Rory what behavior wasn't acceptable by him. Rory listened and they were great friends.

I recently took in a cat for a month who did NOT understand what hissing meant, and oh, man, I really understand how valuable that form of communication is now.

I know the pee is stressful, but hopefully it is a one-off and won't happen again. Just reset a week. You're doing great. Cats perceive time and memory differently than we do, and a week should be enough time to reestablish the connection between the cats and their favorite treats. :) I'm so sorry your door situation is so awkward, too! Our doors all open the opposite direction you'd expect, so I get it. (I have to keep a baby gate at my front door because it opens outward--meaning cats can dart out easily whenever I come home with groceries!)