Big Price Increase Here, What About Your Area?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me just add that going to a cheaper food is NOT the answer! You get what you pay for...my cats' health is more important than few dollars a month. I refuse to feed them junky food.
I used to think that FF was "junk" too...but then I started to look at the ingredients. The pet food industry isn't catering to the pets, it caters to the humans. They know that we equated fruits and veggies with good health so they load cat food with unnecessary veggies like carrots, potatoes, spinach, PEAS, etc. Cats do not need them- they are simply fillers that get pooped right on out. "Premium" brands also tend to be high in carbs because of the carby fillers, like potatoes and carrots (NOTE: Not all brands are high in carbs but many are). Cats do not process carbs very well, or at all.

That being said...if you look at Fancy Feast ingredients, you will only see animal products before you reach the vitamin supplements. Even "by-products" are good, because those products (liver, offal in birds, feet, gizzards, etc.) are what a cat would naturally consume if it were a wild animal and are full of important vitamins and minerals. Gross to humans, but a delicacy to our tiny tigers. ;)

I personally feed half homemade raw and half canned. Fancy Feast is in our canned rotation, and it is what I feed our growing kitten Dexter. He has absolutely thrived on it and cleans his plate every time. And it is WORLDS cheaper than some of the so-called "premium" brands that just have fillers with a smaller percentage of meat and charge $2+ a can.

Of course, I'm not telling you what to do and what you should feed your cats. I'm giving you information based off of information I have garnered from this website and from the link below. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, you can check it out!

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more with what EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie says about Fancy Feast by comparison with many "premium" brands that add potatoes, peas, carrots, carrageenan, and lots of other ingredients that are unnecessary and/or even potentially harmful to cats. Our cats get a weekly can of Fancy Feast but there's no way I'd feed them, say, Ziwipeak that has chickpeas in it!

Just one thing: do be careful with the nutritional data on CatFoodDB because it doesn't always match up with what manufacturers have on their Web sites.

Back to the OP's question of price increases, though, I just heard another one -- Feline Natural -- when I called a local store to ask what they had in stock. That one was already pretty expensive to begin with.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to think that FF was "junk" too...but then I started to look at the ingredients. The pet food industry isn't catering to the pets, it caters to the humans. They know that we equated fruits and veggies with good health so they load cat food with unnecessary veggies like carrots, potatoes, spinach, PEAS, etc. Cats do not need them- they are simply fillers that get pooped right on out. "Premium" brands also tend to be high in carbs because of the carby fillers, like potatoes and carrots (NOTE: Not all brands are high in carbs but many are). Cats do not process carbs very well, or at all.

That being said...if you look at Fancy Feast ingredients, you will only see animal products before you reach the vitamin supplements. Even "by-products" are good, because those products (liver, offal in birds, feet, gizzards, etc.) are what a cat would naturally consume if it were a wild animal and are full of important vitamins and minerals. Gross to humans, but a delicacy to our tiny tigers. ;)

I personally feed half homemade raw and half canned. Fancy Feast is in our canned rotation, and it is what I feed our growing kitten Dexter. He has absolutely thrived on it and cleans his plate every time. And it is WORLDS cheaper than some of the so-called "premium" brands that just have fillers with a smaller percentage of meat and charge $2+ a can.

Of course, I'm not telling you what to do and what you should feed your cats. I'm giving you information based off of information I have garnered from this website and from the link below. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, you can check it out!

The only thing that stops me from using fancy feast on my own cats is the menadione, vit k supplement. I don’t know why they have that in the non-fish cans.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that stops me from using fancy feast on my own cats is the menadione, vit k supplement. I don’t know why they have that in the non-fish cans.
I know, I don't like that stuff, either. I also feed one meal of Sheba a week... and that's it for menadione/vitamin K. I'm not sure it's bad but I just don't trust it so I use my "spread the risk" strategy to keep it minor.

I also don't understand why FF non-fish cans have menadione!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tiny Tiger Pate is comparable to Fancy Feast Classics and is $12.99 for 24 cans on Chewy (50% off for your first case). As far as I know, only the Turkey for TT is fish free.

Here's the ingredients for the Turkey & Giblets from both:

Screenshot_20190125-095642.png
Screenshot_20190125-095659.png

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, I don't like that stuff, either. I also feed one meal of Sheba a week... and that's it for menadione/vitamin K. I'm not sure it's bad but I just don't trust it so I use my "spread the risk" strategy to keep it minor.

I also don't understand why FF non-fish cans have menadione!
We should complain. Lately I’ve been getting into the habit of emailing pet food companies if I’m not happy with something. Probably won’t help but gotta try.

crashann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I feed Fancy Feast, also. My reply was to the person that said they were not going to buy Fancy Feast anymore due to the price increase. I'm currently trying to get my cats to eat raw, but a lot of patience is definitely needed! My daughter swears by Darwin's raw food- says all of her cats love it.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Fancy Feast, also. My reply was to the person that said they were not going to buy Fancy Feast anymore due to the price increase. I'm currently trying to get my cats to eat raw, but a lot of patience is definitely needed! My daughter swears by Darwin's raw food- says all of her cats love it.
I do not feed either foods. I work at petco and petco will soon stop carrying the brands. That’s what I mean by “phasing out” so it won’t matter soon anyway what the price is.

SierraNevadan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in Elko, Nevada. In the last couple days, our Walmart here has increased the price of Fancy Feast from .54 to .66 cents a can! The multi variety packs have increased as well. Some of the Friskies have also jumped up from .44 too, however I bought a bunch of pates at the old price. I suppose those will go up as well with their next shipment. I feed a variety of foods including Sheba, Tikicat, Proplan True Nature, but feeding raw/homemade is looking a lot more economical now. I have a diabetic cat that needs low-carb foods to stay in remission from insulin and I just feed the same all to my other cats as well.

SAVEACAT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In NE Pa., Friskies canned food has gone up an average of 10 to 15 %. I run a shelter and it's big for me. There is no reason for such an increase other than GREED! The remaining brands are still stable. So, goodbye Friskies.......

kcdaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tonight at Walmart in Edison, NJ -- sticker shock of the Friskies price increase .54 to .64 per can. Still can't believe how much this item has gone up in such a short time. 2 weeks ago a can was .54 with the 30 can box costing $15.12.

musicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Northwest AR...home of WalMart and the Fancy Feast price increase finally hit here to the tune of 13%...that is just too much. We need to monitor this.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They also raised the prices for Whole Earth Farms which use to be one of the few brands which were reasonably priced. I use to get a case of 5.5 oz for 24.95 but I checked Chewy today to order some and its gone up to 29.95.
Very frustrating.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In Canada FF has always been about 70c a can and Friskies about 75c a can. It does go on sale frequently though. I watch flyers and stock up when it’s 50-60c a can.

Most of the brands mentioned on here are either not available or $2-5 per can so I still think FF or Friskies are reasonable. Plus my cats do really good on these foods (even my gastro nightmare Bengal).

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep good old capitalism at its finest! Cost of goods and services goes up and wages stay stagnant so nobody can afford anything and no middle class left!! It is great to see that cat food companies have no compassion
Actually wages are going up. At least those at the bottom.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried dollar general for friskies? It was always a dollar a can and cheapest place.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only feed FF classic turkey and giblets, and tender beef feast to our two. Each cat gets two 3-oz cans per cat, total of 4 cans per day.

I swear that earlier in the week I was in Wal-Mart and bought 12 cans of each flavor at 54 cents / can. We happened to be in Wal-Mart today and I thought as long as we were there I'd get some more. 64 cents / can! This is ridiculous!

Came home, called Chewy's. One flavor was 55 cents / can, the other was 54 cents / can. Ordered several boxes of each.

Don't use Chewy's autoship service. I order from them on a will call basis. It was a better deal before they started charging tax. Their prices often fluctuate and I want to know what I'll be billed for in advance.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only feed FF classic turkey and giblets, and tender beef feast to our two. Each cat gets two 3-oz cans per cat, total of 4 cans per day.

I swear that earlier in the week I was in Wal-Mart and bought 12 cans of each flavor at 54 cents / can. We happened to be in Wal-Mart today and I thought as long as we were there I'd get some more. 64 cents / can! This is ridiculous!

Came home, called Chewy's. One flavor was 55 cents / can, the other was 54 cents / can. Ordered several boxes of each.

Don't use Chewy's autoship service. I order from them on a will call basis. It was a better deal before they started charging tax. Their prices often fluctuate and I want to know what I'll be billed for in advance.
Right now Amazon as the Turkey for 12.96 for a case of 24. I use the Ibotta app and get 3% back