Best ways of administering medication?

Screwdriver2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been battling anemia. We are not yet sure what it’s caused by yet, but through vet care, medications, and transfusions we’ve gotten her to a point that her red blood cell count is stable. Anyway, to keep her stable, and keep whatever illness we are dealing with at bay, we have to give seven different medications a few times a day. Some are in pill form and some of liquid all of them are oral. We may ask the vet if there are any non oral medications she can take instead, but we have assumed (and please correct me if I’m wrong) the oral medication is the least expensive option. My cat will not eat food that has even touched a medication, so we have to give them to her directly. Even then, she keep a pill in her mouth and wait till we put her down to spit it out. We try to put it in the back of her throat and massage it down.This is my roommate’s and I’s first experience giving medication to our cat so we’re still getting the hang of things. Any advice for giving medication to a stubborn cat? Also, just found out we’re gonna have to give her two medications as eye drops as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Depending on the size of the pills, many people opt to buy empty smallish capsules and combine several small pills into one capsule so they don't have to shove too many pills down their cats throats, unless you go with some other way of giving them. With one of mine, I wrap his small 1/4 of a pill in a little bit of soft treat (currently using a portion of a pill pocket), then I moisten that and roll it in FortiFlora since he loves that so much. I give him a couple that don't have pills in them and one that does. That way he doesn't really suspect anything. But we're only dealing with one pill.

Without knowing which meds you are giving, it's hard to say whether or not they would cost a lot to have them compounded into a different form of not. The only way you would know is to contact a compounding pharmacy and ask them. We use Roadrunner compounding pharmacy when needed. They ship across the U.S. Typically you can get drugs compounded into injectables, topical creams to rub on their inside ear flap, liquids, pills or chews. Injectables sound scary, but we found those to be easiest since the needles are teeny and short and usually are given in the scruff area and the cats don't even notice. We always gave them their shots while in the midst of a petting session so they were otherwise engaged and completely oblivious

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My cat will not eat food that has even touched a medication, so we have to give them to her directly.
:yeah: Same with our cat.

I ended up coming from behind our guy, crouching down with his body between my knees and opening his mouth to put the pill in. Then I immediately squirt a syringe filled approx. 1/3 of the way with water in his mouth to help wash it down. It's not foolproof but it has worked 90 - 95% of the time. It's the only way I can be absolutely sure he got his medicine. Best of luck! :crossfingers:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: Same with our cat.

I ended up coming from behind our guy, crouching down with his body between my knees and opening his mouth to put the pill in. Then I immediately squirt a syringe filled approx. 1/3 of the way with water in his mouth to help wash it down. It's not foolproof but it has worked 90 - 95% of the time. It's the only way I can be absolutely sure he got his medicine. Best of luck! :crossfingers:
I do Kabuto pretty much the same way except he goes to his waterbowl right after so I don't chance him aspirating on a liquid.

Kabuto is also extremly easy to pill, never spits it out or anything but will not touch any spiked food. He gives me a look like "whats in this drink?!"

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wrapping my little one’s pills in a small portion of pill pocket then popping it in the middle of her mouth seems to work so far. I have size 5 empty capsules as well just in case (the taste of the medicine is rough on her). I’ve also been looking for rendered duck or beef fat because I’ve hear it works well but so far everywhere that sells it is sold out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put any meds in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, get a strong smelling one like Tuna and Whitefish, or Tuna and Shrimp.They sell them at Walamrt and other places in the single packs too, to try one. i have never found one that works better! I have resorted to putting small poieces of pills in teh middle of a tiny piece of cheese, or smashing it into a tiny piece of bacon, that works too, though it may take several tries to get it down.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I do Kabuto pretty much the same way except he goes to his waterbowl right after so I don't chance him aspirating on a liquid. Kabuto is also extremly easy to pill, never spits it out or anything but will not touch any spiked food.
Unfortunately that doesn't work for my cat, i.e. he will not go to the water bowl after I give him his pill which is why I use a syringe only partly filled with water. I always watch him to make sure he doesn't spit the pill out and he does not aspirate. I shake the bag of treats after which he thoroughly enjoys. Our cats are so individual but we love them for it no matter what. :lovecat2:

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No chance I can pill my cat successfully, but I did find something that works!

I cut tablets in half and insert them into clear capsules, which I then tuck into some Churu treats and feed to him. It hides the smell and taste of medicine perfectly. Here is a link to the Size 5 capsules I use: Amazon.com: XPRS Nutra Size 5 Empty Capsules - 100 Count Clear Very Small Empty Gelatin Capsules - Empty Pill Capsules for DIY Capsule Filling - Fillable Pill Capsules Empty Gel Caps : Health & Household

Here is a link to previous posts on the same topic- Please help I’m struggling to give my cat medication | TheCatSite