Best way to tell if allergic to my cat(s)?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had cats for 25 years now, no real signs of allergies to cats. However, we currently have our first medium hair cat (never had a long hair). I dont know if that actualy matters, since its not the hair that causes allergies, but its the only real difference. She is two, and I had no real signs of allergies for a year and a half. Its only recently gotten bad. Its almost winter here, and there aren't really any mainstream allergens that are high now. That said, there are, of course, other possibilities even in winter. Might be a mold allergy, or maybe we have mice in the walls or who knows. Are there any strategies to tell other than stick my nose in her fur as often as she'll let me one day? Would that prove anything anyway, given that my nose is always itchy?

Should I just suck it up and go to an allergiest? Don't know if insurance wil cover it, but probably?

Trying zyrtec now. Not sure it does anything for me -- no antihistamines have really ever worked on allergies. (I do have ragweed in the late summer early fall, but it certainly shouldn't be continuing this far into November even if there is technically still a bit of it in the air.)

...now that I think of it, maybe I should wait a month until there is zero ragweed in the air. Its not zero now. Still, its never affected me at such low levels before.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know where you live, but it could be a combination of things. Maybe with cooler weather, and if the house is closed up, there could be a greater accumulation of allergens trapped in your home, including the ragweed. It seems that happens in my house when the weather gets cool enough for the heat to run. Changing the filter might help, even adding a humidifier.

It is also possible that this cat has a greater level of dander than your other cats. My Gracie, who was long haired, had a lot of dander. So, you might try wearing a mask and brushing her more frequently to help spread the oils throughout her body which should reduce the level of dander. Perhaps, consider adding some omega 3 oils to her diet to help with the dander too.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I had severe allergy from my first kitty. I had swollen face, skin reaction, swollen eyes, and difficult breathing. I was on steroid plus inhaler for awhile. I stuck it out or my kitty would end up back at the pound where I rescued her. Eventually, my body fought and developed immunity. Same thing happened with the current one. So it is up to you, fight or give up.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm fairly allergic to cats. The allergist would probably be your best bet. My allergist as well as my allergy shots are covered by my insurance but unfortunately all insurance companies are different.

I used to take Zyrtec, but a few years back the allergist told me Xyzal was more effective, so I switched.

This is a rough time of year for me for allergies. The heat comes on, the dust gets blown around and you are trapped inside with it and any dust, etc that is in the house. The leaves outside get moldy and mildewy and it all leaves to allergies and breathing problems for me.

You can try getting an air purifier for inside your house. Some people swear by them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ordered an air purifier, thanks for the idea! The cats *do* spend time in my bedroom, so perhaps it will make a big difference.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had different allergic reactions to different cats, it really did not depend on the length of the fur. Things got worse when we added a dog and that's when I went to an allergist because I refused to give up either pet. That's when I found out not only was I allergic to the cat and dog but environmental triggers as well, e.g. dust, mold, pollen, etc. I'm sure you're familiar with all the articles about how to help eliminate these things so I won't repeat it but thought this one might help: Living With Cat Allergy – TheCatSite Articles
I've also heard an air purifier really helps and I'm seriously thinking about looking into it. Regarding insurance, I realize not every policy is the same but fortunately mine covers an allergist and it's been really helpful for me.