Best way to brush a short haired cat

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently purchased a pet brush for my cat because often times I find that he sheds. For the most part, I wear mostly dark clothing, so you can tell when I’m covered in cat hair. This brush had great reviews so I went ahead and bought it. When I brush him it seems to do the trick. I usually do 2 rounds. The first round catches the most fur. It’s really difficult to keep him still for belly brushes though, so I only manage to brush some off. However, when I start petting him I see loose fur. Does brushing only minimize the shedding or is there a way to eliminate it completely?

For reference, I have a attached the picture of the brush and my cat. The description for this brush (purchased from Amazon) ok’d the use on shorthair cats.
B56A02E7-271D-406D-A3BB-232EC148CF6E.jpeg
2AEA12D0-7EC9-4C17-AAA1-B1E7DC3B2AF4.jpeg
371ADF5D-2CAD-43E8-B938-E7988842DB12.jpeg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I copied my reply from another thread I responded to :- Tips on getting my cat more tolerant to brushing?

Since your cat is a DSH, I suggest that you use a soft bristle brush to brush his fur. You did not mention what type if brush your are using for him. Some cats are more sensitive to steel brushes as it digs the skin too much and also brushing too hard will irritate the cat.

Soft bristle brush does not do that. Also you need not to brush him very hard. With soft bristle brush, soft brushing will do and most of the fur will be caught in the brush and as with all types of bruising, fur wlll also drop on the floor.

This is what I use for my boy

IMG_3492.JPG

You can also use a lint remover/sticky tape roller to roll down his fur. I use this sometimes on my boy too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I copied my reply from another thread I responded to :- Tips on getting my cat more tolerant to brushing?

Since your cat is a DSH, I suggest that you use a soft bristle brush to brush his fur. You did not mention what type if brush your are using for him. Some cats are more sensitive to steel brushes as it digs the skin too much and also brushing too hard will irritate the cat.

Soft bristle brush does not do that. Also you need not to brush him very hard. With soft bristle brush, soft brushing will do and most of the fur will be caught in the brush and as with all types of bruising, fur wlll also drop on the floor.

This is what I use for my boy

View attachment 448659

You can also use a lint remover/sticky tape roller to roll down his fur. I use this sometimes on my boy too.
Oh, I have a lint roller too! Never thought I could use it on him though. I’m going to give it a try.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guy has a little rubber 'curry comb' that he likes to use as a toothbrush (well, I use it and he pushes), then a little regular brush for the rest of him.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to hide in my bedroom to take a pic. My cat is all over me as soon as I bring it out. She is short fur
20230428_223627.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to hide in my bedroom to take a pic. My cat is all over me as soon as I bring it out. She is short furView attachment 448660
It’s similar to the one I use. My boy allows himself to be brushed, thankfully, but won’t stay still when I try to brush his belly. He still sheds fur tho 😫

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On top of brushing, combing will get a ton more fur out provided he's tolerant of it. I like using a metal comb that is wide toothed one one end and fine toothed on the other. My short haired male sheds a lot and brushing helps remove a lot, but if I can really get in there with a comb I can get so much more hair removed. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It’s similar to the one I use. My boy allows himself to be brushed, thankfully, but won’t stay still when I try to brush his belly. He still sheds fur tho 😫
Goof says belly is fine, but rear end is not OK! Lila will lay on her back and beg me to comb her belly but anything around her chest or front legs is OFF LIMITS! :lol:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a old brush of mine with soft bristles, Willow is shorthair but doesn't like being brushed unless it's her her meowmy's old hairbrush :catrub:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It sort of depends on the kind of fur they have. Willow needs brushing but won’t let me. With Lola, and most of my short haired cats I pretty much just dampen my hands and stroked them to get the loose hair off. I also have a short bristle very soft brush that I use if necessary.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hair thickness and texture do play a role. Feeby is short haired but it is fairly thick and yet very soft. A slicker brush (the ones with metal teeth) works best for her, but she still sheds somewhat despite daily brushings. Natural bristled brushes just kind of 'gloss' over her hair, hardly collecting anything; almost the same for rubber or plastic tipped ones.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thread referenced is mine.

I since bought a soft-bristled brush for Willy, but it is slow-going. I'm still gradually introducing him to it.

He lets me brush for a few minutes, then starts biting/kicking the brush.

But that's progress. He wouldn't let me brush as long with my metal FURminator brush.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The thread referenced is mine.

I since bought a soft-bristled brush for Willy, but it is slow-going. I'm still gradually introducing him to it.

He lets me brush for a few minutes, then starts biting/kicking the brush.

But that's progress. He wouldn't let me brush as long with my metal FURminator brush.
Oh ya, that's your thread :lol:

Yes, introduce the brushing slowly and don't brush too hard especially the sides of the body. If Willy is in prone position, a little pressure on the back is fine but be gentle on the sides. You can brush him from head to tail on the back and he might like it if you just brush the base of the tail up.

Just make sure when he bites the brush, he don't swallow the hair that is on the brush. I guess the reason why they bite and kick the brush while brushing them is that partly the pressure is too hard on certain part of their body.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, introduce the brushing slowly and don't brush too hard especially the sides of the body.

I guess the reason why they bite and kick the brush while brushing them is that partly the pressure is too hard on certain part of their body.
Interestingly, he likes hard petting. Like he really leans into petting and pushes against my hand, indicating he wants a firm stroke all along his back. He always purrs when I apply more pressure during pets.

So it's odd that he is so freaked out by brushing, when hand-pets are totally acceptable.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Interestingly, he likes hard petting. Like he really leans into petting and pushes against my hand, indicating he wants a firm stroke all along his back. He always purrs when I apply more pressure during pets.

So it's odd that he is so freaked out by brushing, when hand-pets are totally acceptable.
Maybe you could try holding the brush in your palm and brush him and hide the handle from him. He may be weary of the handle.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found even among short haired cats that they like different brushes and that different ones work better.
While both short hair, Magnus likes the Furminator knock off best. Calcifer likes a horse deshedder.

I usually use those glove brushes to get off a good amount of fur.

I think brushing limits shedding, but just like with our human hair, some will always escape. I use the ChomChom on my furniture and clothes.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a old hairbrush of mine for my two: Tigger's happy with any brush, but Willow anger-bites the "wrong brush, meowmy!" cause how very DARE her meowmy use the wrong brush :redheartpump: