Best litter for cat with asthma?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one cat Fynn was recently diagnosed with mild asthma. Thankfully we caught it early but I want to help him with reducing the dust from the litter. The one I have isn't that bad (arm/hammer slide) but I wasn't sure what the best ones are. It has to be soft litter for my other cat who has very sensitive paws. They didnt like the caitit litter, and my mom would want one that is good for odor given we have 3 cats lol.

smbsocal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the Breeze liter system. There isn't any dust at all and the urine is contained in pads so it controls that smell well.

The 'soft litter' part would be up to the cat. Instead of using the normal Breeze pellets I use Pinto Beans. The Pinto Beans are just as good but cost a lot less and are round so no sharp edges. Even though they are round they are large so it may not be to every cats liking.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just discovered grass litter because I could not stand the dust from all the other brands (especially Worlds Best). It’s been so much better and much less dust. I clean the box multiple times a day so the odor is never an issue for us. I use the Chewy brand from Frisco.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you mix what you're currently using with Littermaid walnut or corncob (it's not corn) litter? I do this and the littermaid cuts the dustiness while you still have the other benefits from the other litter :)

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has asthma, and I use World Best Cat Litter (unscented version). It's a natural corn litter, clumps really nicely. It also says 99% dust free on the bag, which I also agree I haven't noticed much dust at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe my own girl has issues with corn (possible allergies to it).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was told by my vet to go clay free with Nobel's athsma (which I now believe was from me and him being stuck in a smoking home).

I recently tried Okocat paper litter and it's actually really good and the first one that's actually dust free out of everything I've tried. It has a weird smell though.

World's Best and other corn ones were always so dusty. I tried many wood based that had much dust too. The boys liked the nut shell based ones but again, still much dust. Wood full pellets were the least dusty so I used that for a long time. Ensure to get cat ones and not rabbit ones which can cause other issues in cats.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Dr. Elsey's, which has worked very well for our asthmatic cat for years. When she had her first two coughing episodes back in early 2014 I quickly switched the litter from Fresh Step (which was very scented and dusty) to Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief. Ireland didn't cough for five years. She was diagnosed with mild asthma in late 2019 after a few milder coughing incidents and has been on an inhaler ever since. We still use Dr. E's litter, now mixed with Dr. E's Ultra, which is cheaper and more readily available. (RR sometimes goes out of stock so I wanted options. Also, one catmom with an asthmatic cat says Ultra seems to work better for some cats than RR...)

I've seen warnings (from, among others, Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org) about using corn or wheat litters for asthmatic cats but they do seem to work for some asthmatic cats. And Dr. E's works well for Ireland but some people say it's too dusty for their cats. As with diet, this is a case where what's "best" for one cat may not work at all for another.