Best High-quality Wet Food For 10+ Year-old Cats?

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two Ocicats, indoor cats, litter-mates who turn 10 next month. For all their lives so far they have done very well on Wellness wet food, supplemented with raw meat twice a week. No dry food. When I asked the vet to recommend wet food for ageing cats he said it's best to stick with the existing brand, if possible, as it contains taste elements that already appeal to our cats. The only problem is that Wellness does not make a specialty older cat food but say that their food is suitable for healthy cats of all ages. Should I attempt to transition them to a "senior" food? I am happy with Wellness and so are they. Ocis are notoriously greedy and we need to pay attention to what they eat. They are never given human food or snacks and are in very good shape. Thank you!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you need to transition to a senior food if they have no health problems (it actually might be harmful to do so since many senior foods restrict certain nutrients). But it's never a bad idea to try and bring in a bit of variety as no single food can ever provide a completely nutritionally balanced diet for all cats. Since they are so used to eating one kind of food though I would be very careful with introducing any new foods very slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I am careful to rotate the flavors so that they do not get bored with the same thing day-in, day-out and so far they have never rejected their food. They are greedy rascals and would get fat if they were fed on demand! Your sage advice is most welcome, thanks again.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also do not think i would switch to a senior formula. so many of them are old school, which restricted protein for older cats. Everything newer i read suggest senior cats need more protein, not less. We dont want them to loose muscle mass. More protein, of a higher quality is in my opinion best. The only wet foods i feed that i really like the protein vs fat vs carb profile in is most of the weruva foods, Tiki cat, and the almo nature complete foods, and the almo nature la cucina which is also complete, they really like the chicken and apple. high protein lower in fat and very low carbs. If you want to offer them something a little different i would suggest one of these foods for the high protein count.

almo isnt listed in this form, as i think its only poplur right now in Europe. I use it a lot to check protein counts.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Animals in the wild eat what they eat, no matter what age. I think senior food/kitten food is all a marketing "gimmick" and not necessary. I would keep what you are doing but maybe add in some more moisture rich pouches or something from another brand besides wellness, maybe once or twice a week, to ensure they are getting all minerals/nutrients they need as they age. JMO