Best clay litter- is it safe?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I have read some posts about the fact that clay litter may not be the most healthy, and I am worried about the health effects. I have only ever used natural litters including world's best corn, wheat, blue walnut and pine- all of these make a huge mess and I find they hold odour even though I clean the box multiple times a day and I end up having to completely change the all the litter once a week. I bought a litter robot about 6 months ago and it came with their premium clumping litter, which is apparently sun dried natural clay- it was the best litter I have ever used it actually clumps unlike the natural litters and there is no tracking. I switched back to natural brands when I got my new kitten because I was worried she would eat it, but she has not and she is almost 6 months now. I really had it with the mess that world's best cat litter was making around my apartment and the smell so I started using the litter robot brand clay litter again as I had a couple of bags left and again it is so much better. I am just worried that is will negatively effect their health? I do feel better that Dr. Pierson of catinfo.org also uses clay litter, so I am hoping it is not too bad? The litter robot brand claims it is natural and sun dried- does this mean anything?

I can order the litter robot brand online and it is $25 for 20 pounds and I can get free shipping on it. I am just wondering if there are similar or even better clay litter I can get on the ground? Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat litter is what Dr. Pierson uses and I am wondering if this is just as safe to use? Are there any other more natural brands of clay litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. I stopped using clay litter too when I heard of the possible negative effects. I use pine pellets now, and I love it. Very little mess, only a few pellets around the box which are easily picked up. The sawdust stays in the box. Pretty good odor control, I think.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I did use pine pellets when I first got Ave because that is what the breeder used. They were probably better than the other natural litters but it doesn't work in the litter robot and Frank didn't seem to care for it. Maybe because I didn't have the special litter box, but I did find I have to completely replace the litter quite a bit as well.

I guess I am being selfish but the clay makes my life so much easier and they also seem to really like it as it doesn't stick to their fur as much as the natural litters. I am just wondering if "natural" clay litter is any better? 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What makes the clay "natural"? Isn't all clay, clay? Sorry, that sounded weird, but aren't all clay litters made from, well, clay? I can see that not adding color or scent would be more pure and natural, but beyond that, I don't know. There's still the issue of inhaling clay dust, and I'm not sure how being "natural" addresses that. I'm not trying to be negative. I just don't know.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What makes the clay "natural"? Isn't all clay, clay? Sorry, that sounded weird, but aren't all clay litters made from, well, clay? I can see that not adding color or scent would be more pure and natural, but beyond that, I don't know. There's still the issue of inhaling clay dust, and I'm not sure how being "natural" addresses that. I'm not trying to be negative. I just don't know.
No your not being negative as this is exactly what I was wondering too! It is labeled as natural and sun dried so I was wondering if it was any different? The Dr. Elsey's is also labeled a "natural" too.

The thing is I am also worried about them inhaling corn dust too and actually this clay litter seems a lot less dusty than the world's best cat litter. I think the pellets are probably the healthiest but I am not in a position to use them right now. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we all have to pick our battles, so if it's less dusty than others and doesn't have any additives I say use it if it makes your life much easier. :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clay is natural . so that seems like an oxymoron? All the clumping clay litter is from natural sodium bentonite clay. There's ones without chemical perfumes etc. and some seem to be much dustier than others so that's a factor to consider.

With that said, I DO use clumping clay litter. I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat for adult cats and kittens over the stage of exploring their environment by tasting things which generally is kittens under about 6 weeks. but I would not transition them to clay litter under 2 months at a minimum and no sign of them tasting litter for several weeks.

I feel like the stuff about clay litter being so dangerous has been exaggerated. Claims based on anecdotes can get repeated and magnified so much on the Internet sometimes with very little proof. But I know some people feel strongly about this and I don't want to get in a big argument about it. I really feel like there is no absolutely perfect solution . There are pros and cons to different litters. which is pretty much what Dr Pierson wrote. It's up to each of us to decide.

The litters from organic compounds are far more likely to get bacterial growth Also some of them like the corn and wheat ones are common allergens for cats. I had a cat react badly to the Worlds Best. It made him have sneezing fits like crazy and shake his head like he was upset.

And, I just have not found any of the non-clay clumping litters I have tried to clump so well. even the ones I see / hear people say they clump so well. In my experience they don't. .. I have tried all the same ones you mentioned and had the same experience, it was a mess. The clumps break apart so easily . I feel like I'd have to change the whole box daily! So it seems less sanitary. because you can't remove as much urine waste. it just goes all over the box and the cats have to walk in it and then track it around your home a lot more than if you have a litter that does clump better.

I haven't yet tried the pine pellets. and if you use a box where the disintegrated ones are sifted down , that might be a decent solution -- if your cats like stepping on the pellets.