Best Canned Food For Kittens (canada)

sawa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I've been trying to see what good wet food is available for kittens. I'm still new to all this, but I do have dry food thats always available to him and I feed him canned food twice a day. I purchased Performatrin for kittens in the flavour of Chicken and it seemed to sit well in my kittens stomach as he no longer has diarrhea. I was wondering if this food is actually good for kittens as they say it is. If not, what brands do you recommend and why?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend canned food that is free of gums, carrageenan, grains, potatoes and peas and that is low in carbs with a meat-based protein source. Performatrin is not bad. I personally wouldn't feed it because it contains carrageenan. But if your kitten is doing well on it you may just feed it until he/she is a bit older and then transition to a non-carrageenan adult food.

I have tried several can foods with my kitten. My experiences have been that grain based canned foods like Royal Canin give him constipation and he doesn't really like them. Grain free canned foods that load up on potatoes or peas and have gums like Wellness were not a big hit either. High protein canned foods like Weruva gave him diarrhea (but they also have lots of gums).

This all said... in my opinion the best "kitten" labelled canned food available in Canada is Nutro soft kitten loaf. The only questionable ingredients are natural flavours and guar gum. I think it's pretty decent. It has low carb and high protein/fat. Unfortunately it also gave my kitten soft stools, but it may work for your kitten.

You may also consider an "all life stages" food. The only canned food I have had success with for my kitten is Rawz. It's only available at select small pet stores. You can look up availability on their website. Or, if you're on the West Coast I can give you recommendations on where to buy.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was feeding Chicken Soup Kitten for years and my fosters always had diarrhea. I was recently told that this is a good moderately priced food but it has many different sources of protein in one can and this caused the diarrhea. Lately, I have been using Fancy Feast and Mother and Baby Cat Royal Canin. You can actually feed any adult wet food to a kitten as long as it is not listed as weight reduction,etc. They need more of it however. I am not sure how good Royal Canin is but I know that the kittens just love it and it is soft enough to syringe if necessary. Comes in handy with weaning. Expensive as well. Most of the foster moms at the shelter feed friskies because it is more economical.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in AB, so close to West coast. Could I have a link where to buy? My kitten is sick of performatin as they only have chicken flavor for kittens. But it's okay to feed them adult food, as long as they eat more?

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, my kitten was constipated when I first got her, then had diarrhea. What has really helped for me is adding pumpkin powder aka fiber in her food. Just a pinch a day. She poops more, but they're not too hard or too soft.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in AB, so close to West coast. Could I have a link where to buy? My kitten is sick of performatin as they only have chicken flavor for kittens. But it's okay to feed them adult food, as long as they eat more?
You can feed any food that says it meets the AAFCO requirements for “all life stages”. You would feed the same amount of this food as you would kitten food.

Well, it also depends on the number of calories per food, but really for a kitten I would just give them as much as they want since they are still growing.

I’m not sure which link you’re referring to?

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know where to find said food for all life stages

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where to find said food for all life stages
Ah okay. I’m in BC so I don’t know the independent pet stores in AB but usually those little shops have the better quality foods. Since you said you have fed performatrin you can also try any Pet Valu store (not sure which ones you have in AB but here we have Tisol and Bosleys). Really any pet store, even Petsmart, will carry all life stages food. But the smaller shops just tend to carry better brands. Just have a look on the labels as you’re shopping to make sure it says all life stages.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Just haven't seen that particular label yet. You'd think whiskas would say, or have kitten specific food, but it doesn't.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most brands have all life stages food, it’s pretty common. I think we just don’t think to look for it at the pet store. In my opinion Whiskas isn’t a very good food. Some affordable Canadian brands are First Mate/Kasiks and Boreal. If you’re feeding dry, Orijen and Acana are good Canadian foods.

Some American brands are Weruva, Natural Balance, Instinct. I’m sure Pet Valu carries most of these. Just look for lots of meat in the first few ingredients and not too many peas or potatoes.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was feeding Chicken Soup Kitten for years and my fosters always had diarrhea. I was recently told that this is a good moderately priced food but it has many different sources of protein in one can and this caused the diarrhea. Lately, I have been using Fancy Feast and Mother and Baby Cat Royal Canin. You can actually feed any adult wet food to a kitten as long as it is not listed as weight reduction,etc. They need more of it however. I am not sure how good Royal Canin is but I know that the kittens just love it and it is soft enough to syringe if necessary. Comes in handy with weaning. Expensive as well. Most of the foster moms at the shelter feed friskies because it is more economical.
Hi, I am editing my response! After talking with my kitten whisperer ( she has been fostering kittens for over 30 years & usually has three rooms full of different litters) I take back what I said about feeding adult food. She said that kittens should have kitten or all life stage food. I don't know how they put all the kitten calories into all life stage but I always give them as much as they want. It is true that many fosters feed whatever they can afford but as this is your own kitten you want her to have the best. Again, I don't know much about Baby Cat except that the kittens love it and that it is extremely expensive. The IRS is going to audit me for my donation expenses. You can have most any food shipped to you from pet supply websites.