Bengal Dilemma

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will do. I pick up Maple on Sunday. Currently kitten proofing. It's a big job! She's a jumper. And to think I had an empty 20 gallon aquarium on the top of the hutch in my spare room!

Aiming for a male black cat so I can name him Duncan, but anyone who steals my heart will do.

I'm thinking that after Maple leaves (maple leaves...get it?) I will be ready for my new cat. I thought I should wait a while until I get over Aniki, but I've gradually been having more good days than bad. It just might be real soon!

Plus, if I can handle a maniacal bengal in here for three weeks, then I can adopt a kitten instead of an older cat. But again, I will probably choose whoever needs me the most.
Yeah, if you can successfully survive three weeks with a wild woman kitten, you can deal with anything a cat can dish out. And that last sentence shows great promise. ;):redheartpump::bigeyes::redheartpump:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Taking care of Miss Maple and looking for a new kitty to love sound like so much fun! I'm excited for you. I desperately want a third cat but it'll be at least a year or two down the line.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Taking care of Miss Maple and looking for a new kitty to love sound like so much fun! I'm excited for you. I desperately want a third cat but it'll be at least a year or two down the line.....
I'm actually nervous. My weird kitchen has a bunch of shelves where a cabinet should be and one of them opens up to the under-the-sink area. It would have been hard to block it off so instead I decided to thoroughly clean under the sink in case she got in there. That's when I noticed a hole in the wall in the back. I've lived here for 15 years and never noticed it. And it leads way into the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom. So glad I found it! Now I'm going to have to check the rest of this old apartment for more of that.

My friend just sent me another pic of her.

Maple 3.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if you can get him to pay for a spay. I know you said you're good at screening homes but I feel like the temptation to breed her will be high so she ought to be spayed first. If he's well-off I don't think this will be a hardship for him.

If she doesn't have papers I don't think you're obligated to tell vets she's a Bengal. Bengals don't need special treatment and the vet may not be willing to treat a cat that may or may not be illegal (fwiw, she looks to be low percentage, later generation).

Also, wow, when I was into ferrets in the late '90s/early 2000s, there was a lot of talk about getting NYC to repeal their stupid pet laws, I guess that hasn't gone anywhere in the last 20-25 years :/.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually nervous. My weird kitchen has a bunch of shelves where a cabinet should be and one of them opens up to the under-the-sink area. It would have been hard to block it off so instead I decided to thoroughly clean under the sink in case she got in there. That's when I noticed a hole in the wall in the back. I've lived here for 15 years and never noticed it. And it leads way into the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom. So glad I found it! Now I'm going to have to check the rest of this old apartment for more of that.

My friend just sent me another pic of her.

View attachment 415594
Two of them in there!?
Yeah, definitely kitten-proof everything. I have a trapdoor in one closet that leads into the crawlspace. It has a door that fits over it but doesn't close securely so I have a big, heavy box fan in front of that.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two of them in there!?
Yeah, definitely kitten-proof everything. I have a trapdoor in one closet that leads into the crawlspace. It has a door that fits over it but doesn't close securely so I have a big, heavy box fan in front of that.
I want her to have plenty of snug, out of the way hiding places but none where I can't get to her because she's getting medication.

I pick her up Sunday night, then I'm working Monday and Tuesday. That will drive me crazy. She'll be safe in her room and will have time to get used to the smells and sounds of this neighborhood. Plus, the window in that room has always been popular. She'll love the view.

See if you can get him to pay for a spay. I know you said you're good at screening homes but I feel like the temptation to breed her will be high so she ought to be spayed first. If he's well-off I don't think this will be a hardship for him.

If she doesn't have papers I don't think you're obligated to tell vets she's a Bengal. Bengals don't need special treatment and the vet may not be willing to treat a cat that may or may not be illegal (fwiw, she looks to be low percentage, later generation).

Also, wow, when I was into ferrets in the late '90s/early 2000s, there was a lot of talk about getting NYC to repeal their stupid pet laws, I guess that hasn't gone anywhere in the last 20-25 years :/.
He is paying for her spay. And hopefully she will have no reason to visit my vet.

I doubt they enforce the Bengal laws in NY. If so I'm sure they go after breeders rather than someone who brings one to a vet.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want her to have plenty of snug, out of the way hiding places but none where I can't get to her because she's getting medication.

I pick her up Sunday night, then I'm working Monday and Tuesday. That will drive me crazy. She'll be safe in her room and will have time to get used to the smells and sounds of this neighborhood. Plus, the window in that room has always been popular. She'll love the view.

He is paying for her spay. And hopefully she will have no reason to visit my vet.

I doubt they enforce the Bengal laws in NY. If so I'm sure they go after breeders rather than someone who brings one to a vet.
I'm sure this has already occurred to you/been done, but making sure any screens are very secure is really important. I learned the hard way in one apartment after my beloved Sun got out that way. He was on medication and I was frantic! My ex came over and eventually he found him cowering under a car on the next street over. He was very glad to get back to safety and love! and I made sure that could not happen again.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rico used to terrorize Cosey and chase her all over the apartment. I used to be afraid she'd jump into a window too fast and break the screen out.

I have some of those instant screens you slide in the window. They're short, so I will get taller ones for when it's window-wide-open weather.

Right now it's still too chilly to open the windows much.

In the room where I will be keeping her at first I have string stretched across to hang wet laundry. Not a laundry line--just plain old thin glossy string. It's about five feet off the ground. I doubt that will pose a problem but if it rings any alarm bells, let me know.

I used to snap it a little and all the clothespins would wiggle. The cats would be mesmerized.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rico used to terrorize Cosey and chase her all over the apartment. I used to be afraid she'd jump into a window too fast and break the screen out.

I have some of those instant screens you slide in the window. They're short, so I will get taller ones for when it's window-wide-open weather.

Right now it's still too chilly to open the windows much.

In the room where I will be keeping her at first I have string stretched across to hang wet laundry. Not a laundry line--just plain old thin glossy string. It's about five feet off the ground. I doubt that will pose a problem but if it rings any alarm bells, let me know.

I used to snap it a little and all the clothespins would wiggle. The cats would be mesmerized.
I'd take that out or put it up a lot higher. Anything that could possibly pose a danger would be gone in our environment.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took it down.

She's here, now. Hiding behind the litter box. Time to give her some space.
Good decision on your part! If you have a shower door or shower curtain rod, those would substitute to dry clothes.
Hoping she'll venture out in time and enjoy her time there with you! She's a pretty little thing (well, of course! She's a CAT!) :hearthrob:

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suspect she was bounced around a lot, other than that, I know nothing of her past.

My friend did not think it through when he bought her. He did not have the commitment to properly socialize her. I can't say for sure if anyone has.

I do, and I'm hoping it will make a difference to her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect she was bounced around a lot, other than that, I know nothing of her past.

My friend did not think it through when he bought her. He did not have the commitment to properly socialize her. I can't say for sure if anyone has.

I do, and I'm hoping it will make a difference to her.
It's incomprehensible to me that anyone would get a cat without educating themselves and making the environment safe and comfortable for a cat. Cats are highly intelligent, sensitive, sentient mammals like we are, and they can live into their 20s. They have wants and needs, and they give unconditional loyalty and love. Why anyone would think otherwise is just not something I can wrap my head around.
This little girl has been in a lot of different homes? I wonder why. It's inexcusable. She needs someone to love her and commit to her for a lifetime.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's incomprehensible to me that anyone would get a cat without educating themselves and making the environment safe and comfortable for a cat. Cats are highly intelligent, sensitive, sentient mammals like we are, and they can live into their 20s. They have wants and needs, and they give unconditional loyalty and love. Why anyone would think otherwise is just not something I can wrap my head around.
This little girl has been in a lot of different homes? I wonder why. It's inexcusable. She needs someone to love her and commit to her for a lifetime.
I will make sure of that.

I still don't know if I can afford to keep her. Technically, I guess I can. At the very least I will foster her until she finds a GREAT home.

Who am I kidding? I think I'm already falling in love.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will make sure of that.

I still don't know if I can afford to keep her. Technically, I guess I can. At the very least I will foster her until she finds a GREAT home.

Who am I kidding? I think I'm already falling in love.
Well of course you are. But you still have time to get to know her and time to think things out. She's safe. She's cared for and about. You're getting your cat fix. All is well for now.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's not very photogenic right now, wedged between the litter box and the wall. As soon as she gains a little confidence and shows herself I'll get some. Would you believe me if I told you she was really really super cute?

I do have the ones I posted before:
Maple.png
Maple 3.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not very photogenic right now, wedged between the litter box and the wall. As soon as she gains a little confidence and shows herself I'll get some. Would you believe me if I told you she was really really super cute?

I do have the ones I posted before:
View attachment 415866View attachment 415867
Maple could never NOT be cute!!!

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It hasn't been 24 hours, I know, but she's still terrified. I have some questions but rather than risk having them buried in this thread I will start a new one.

Terrified Kitten