Bengal Dilemma

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll start by saying I'm in the UK so our laws are very different. Bengals are classed as domestic cats here. The vet receptionist's response was strange that she didn't know what a Bengal cat was. Maybe she was thinking of a Savannah or Serval which, in my opinion, beautiful though they are, should be left in the wild?

We have two half-Bengal cats. They are 17 years old coming up for 18. They look like tabbies - until you look at them closely - their noses are broader than a normal tabby's. They are also very talkative. They won't let you ignore them! They are still very active cats and don't look any older than 5 years old. They are also extremely affectionate.

As in all cases, the cat's welfare should always come first. I really wish people would do research before getting a cat (or any other animal) and ask themselves if they can commit to that animal for a lifetime. If there is any doubt, they should not get that animal. This applies to moggies as well as pedigree cats. I feel sorry for the poor cat, already being passed around from pillar to post.

I hope you can get this resolved. The only advice I'll give is to do what you feel in your heart is the right thing for this unfortunate cat.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah. I see you have got her. These pics hadn't loaded before I posted. She is gorgeous. Give her time and patience and she'll soon settle. Bengals also tend to be very loyal. They are also fairly easy to train to walk on a harness and lead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I got her. When my friend got her, I thought you don't know what you're getting into and secretly hoped he'd offer her to me, which is exactly what happened so I took it as a sign.

She's doing well. She had her spay last week and is healing very well. She has the run of the apartment now, except for the kitchen, which needs some more kitten proofing.

She's slowly getting used to me and is letting me pet her...actually she demands it! Yet sometimes, especially during the daytime, she seems very frightened of me. I guess it takes time. This is all very new to me as all of my cats have always come to me "preprogrammed", but there's something satisfying in working my way into her heart.

Kittens are great, but I'm always anxious for them to grow up so I can see what kind of cat they will be. I suspect Maple will be very controlling. On the last night I had her in her room, I ended up chasing her in there at bedtime and she hissed at me! She's obviously a little lady who knows what she wants!

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos and am convinced we are a good match. My life has always revolved around my cats and she will certainly be no different. I'm anxious for her to grow bigger and fill out a bit. She's so beautiful. Her base color is a rusty-caramel shade that has a lovely pastel quality. This will be the first time I've had anything other than a domestic shorthair (although I did foster a wonderful guy named Louie who might have been a Bombay mix) so I can't wait to see what she will be like.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are great, but I'm always anxious for them to grow up so I can see what kind of cat they will be. I suspect Maple will be very controlling. On the last night I had her in her room, I ended up chasing her in there at bedtime and she hissed at me! She's obviously a little lady who knows what she wants!
She'll want to cuddle up with you at night if she already isn't doing so. Wait until she gets an attack of the "zoomies" and tears round your house at 90 miles per hour, runs up the wall and hangs upside down from the ceiling. Do not be alarmed. That is quite normal behaviour for a Bengal. Our half-Bengals have kept us amused for the past 17 years with their antics.

I got mine from a work colleague whose wife bred Bengals. One hot summer (unusual for the UK), they had gone to bed and were awoken around 3am by a lot of noise. Thinking they were being burgled, Alan crept down the stairs to find their Bengal Queen and the local Tom having a high old time. They'd left a small window open and the Tom had found it. 5 kittens were the result so they gave them away to people they knew who were cat lovers. We picked Benji and when we went to collect him, we were handed his brother Harley too. No-one wanted him because just like a Harley motorbike, our Harley is loud and has to tell you all about his day. We love them to bits and looking at them it's hard to believe they are 17, almost 18. They're still very active and still frequently have an attack of the "zoomies". Love them to bits.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're not quite there yet as far as her sleeping with me. I think she's still a bit too nervous to relax enough to get really crazy. I suspect I'm the first human to really put in an effort to get close to her.

I've been keeping playtime light as she heals from her surgery, but she certainly is an athletic cat. Sometimes she seems like she's showing off when she clings to the half tunnel in her cat tree upside down to catch ger string toy.

I can't wait for the zoomies! Perfect revenge for my noisy downstairs neighbor!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're not quite there yet as far as her sleeping with me. I think she's still a bit too nervous to relax enough to get really crazy. I suspect I'm the first human to really put in an effort to get close to her.

I've been keeping playtime light as she heals from her surgery, but she certainly is an athletic cat. Sometimes she seems like she's showing off when she clings to the half tunnel in her cat tree upside down to catch ger string toy.

I can't wait for the zoomies! Perfect revenge for my noisy downstairs neighbor!
She sounds wonderful and personality-plus! I'm glad you've decided to adopt her. She needs and deserves a permanent person and home.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who's very well-off financially and tends to impulse buy. Last month he decided to get a cat. This surprised me because he's not really a cat person. Well, he got a cat alright. A Bengal kitten. And as I suspected, he now realizes he made a mistake. He offered her to me, for free.

My first thought was No, because I'd rather get a rescue. I've always wanted a black cat and the rescue groups are full of them around here. But he wants to sell her on Craigslist. I won't allow that. So, in a way, she's already in the rescue system.

It's useless to try to get him to find a more responsible home for her because that takes work and commitment. He's not really an animal person. He means well, but he doesn't understand. The simple solution would be for me to take her, BUT......

I wasn't planning on getting a cat any time soon. As I explained in "Afraid to get Another Cat", I want to wait a few months. My beloved Aniki just died and now is a bit too soon (I think). Plus I need to save some money. Caring for a cat with chronic kidney failure is expensive. Blood tests for senior cats are $300 where I am, and prescription diets are expensive. Money is very tight. If I take the Bengal, she will need a spay before the year's end.I need to spend a couple months NOT paying for k/d and vet bills. On the other hand, I could conceivably do it.

I don't know if he got papers with her. And because he got her from Craigslist, who knows? She could have a preexisting condition. He only paid $1,000 for her.

Also, I didn't really want a kitten. They're too crazy. The way my head is right now, I"m not sure if I want to wait two years for her to stop bouncing off the walls all day and night. Still, I could cope. I met her and we clicked. Believe me, I know cats. I felt it. I think we both did.

But here's the problem that is hardest to rationalize: I need to move. I can't afford this apartment anymore and I hate the neighborhood. I have no prospects. I want to get out of the city, but I'm on a fixed disability income and finding something will be difficult. I'm just beginning to explore possible options but it will probably take a while. Bengals need space. I would be fine with a getting a lazy old man cat and moving into a tiny apartment. Or even a room. But not with a Bengal. The only positive here is, as I said, I'm just beginning to explore options. The cost of living will be much cheaper almost anywhere I go. I've already gotten an offer to relocate to South Carolina, but that's unlikely for reasons I won't go into here.

Part of me says that if I try hard enough, I can find something. But that's not a guarantee. If I were to adopt a Bengal, I would need a guarantee that I could always take care of her properly.

The only option I have now is to foster her and rehome her myself. That way I can be sure she gets a good home. And if I do it independently, it can also be a test run to see if I can handle a crazy kitten.

Reading this over, I see plenty of reasons not to adopt her. But I really do want her. I just spent fifteen years caring for an incredibly nervous feral, a handicapped tabby, and a FIV cat. I deserve an awesome cat. But then again, any cat I end up with will be an awesome cat.

Thoughts?
I think part of the problem is that your friend's kitten is a solitary kitten. It's much easier living with two kittens than it is living with one. I've never owned a Bengal kitten, but even a kitten that's NOT crazy like a Bengal can still be a handful with a slough of behavior problems if he grows up without other cats.

Are there any animal rescues near you that could take the kitten (if his breeder won't take him back first)?

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think part of the problem is that your friend's kitten is a solitary kitten. It's much easier living with two kittens than it is living with one. I've never owned a Bengal kitten, but even a kitten that's NOT crazy like a Bengal can still be a handful with a slough of behavior problems if he grows up without other cats.

Are there any animal rescues near you that could take the kitten (if his breeder won't take him back first)?
I've got 2 half-Bengals. When they were younger they were "Double Trouble" personified but always made us laugh at their off-the-wall (literally) antics. They're 17 now, a bit quieter but every so often they have their moments...

The good news is Meekie has adopted this beautiful cat :biggrin:

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I chose to adopt her.

I asked my friend exactly how he got her and he told me he met the breeder on the street and they made the exchange. Like some drug deal. Sickening. When I heard this, all my thoughts of rehoming her went out the window. This cat needs stability and someone who recognizes her for what she is: a sweet, sensitive animal. NOT a status symbol or a form of income.

She's cost me a lot of money so far but I don't care. She's eating very very well since her spay, so the cases of food I bought will not go to waste. Yesterday, my friend gave me the huge cat tree he got for her, along with everything else: toys, expensive Bravo! treats ($9 a bag but they're just freeze dried meat and very healthy, so I may stick with them), a water fountain, a track toy, and one of those game board-like things where you hide treats and they have to figure out how to get it. All top quality stuff, of course. Yesterday was Christmas in May for Maple! I never would have been able to afford all this stuff.

She's six months old now so her personality should start making itself apparent. She seems to be a very gentle cat. I've gone through the whole "cram the cat in the carrier" thing, as well as giving her dewormer orally...and didn't get a scratch! (well, I did get a nasty slit on my palm but that was from the back claw which is usually accidental).

You should see my kitchen. It's the only room she doesn't have access to and is crammed with all my breakables, as well as two large cat trees (no climbing after her spay). I also have piled books on all the windows to keep her out of them until she heals a little more. She's being a good sport about it.

There is some residual skittishness, but otherwise she's very affectionate. She'll often stop playing just to run over to me and get some pets. We're going to do just fine!

DSCN9132.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I chose to adopt her.

I asked my friend exactly how he got her and he told me he met the breeder on the street and they made the exchange. Like some drug deal. Sickening. When I heard this, all my thoughts of rehoming her went out the window. This cat needs stability and someone who recognizes her for what she is: a sweet, sensitive animal. NOT a status symbol or a form of income.

She's cost me a lot of money so far but I don't care. She's eating very very well since her spay, so the cases of food I bought will not go to waste. Yesterday, my friend gave me the huge cat tree he got for her, along with everything else: toys, expensive Bravo! treats ($9 a bag but they're just freeze dried meat and very healthy, so I may stick with them), a water fountain, a track toy, and one of those game board-like things where you hide treats and they have to figure out how to get it. All top quality stuff, of course. Yesterday was Christmas in May for Maple! I never would have been able to afford all this stuff.

She's six months old now so her personality should start making itself apparent. She seems to be a very gentle cat. I've gone through the whole "cram the cat in the carrier" thing, as well as giving her dewormer orally...and didn't get a scratch! (well, I did get a nasty slit on my palm but that was from the back claw which is usually accidental).

You should see my kitchen. It's the only room she doesn't have access to and is crammed with all my breakables, as well as two large cat trees (no climbing after her spay). I also have piled books on all the windows to keep her out of them until she heals a little more. She's being a good sport about it.

There is some residual skittishness, but otherwise she's very affectionate. She'll often stop playing just to run over to me and get some pets. We're going to do just fine!

View attachment 419291
Wow, they did the whole big incision, it looks like! How many sutures does she have? I thought those big sites were history. All of the spays I've seen for yonks have been 1 or at most 2 sutures and I've removed most of them myself.
She sure is a pretty little thing! That's great about all of the swag she got.
The reason they met on the street was probably just a safety/security measure. With the pandemic and so many people being so shady these days, I would probably have done it that way, too -- not a thing to do with money or status. When Elvis joined us, I did let his dad drive him directly to me, but only because he had sort of a recommendation from a mutual friend who has a rescue group.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, they did the whole big incision, it looks like! How many sutures does she have? I thought those big sites were history. All of the spays I've seen for yonks have been 1 or at most 2 sutures and I've removed most of them myself.
The reason they met on the street was probably just a safety/security measure. With the pandemic and so many people being so shady these days, I would probably have done it that way, too -- not a thing to do with money or status. When Elvis joined us, I did let his dad drive him directly to me, but only because he had sort of a recommendation from a mutual friend who has a rescue group.
My cat had 2 sutures and they were the type that dissolve. Some vets still do the mid-line spay but you have to ask (and pay extra) for it and is usually only used for show cats.

Breeders who exchange kittens for money on the street or in car parks (parking lots) nearly always have something to hide. Most times the kitten has come from a kitten mill - something they're trying very hard to end here in the UK. Same goes for puppies. The "pandemic" played right into these unscrupulous peoples' hands.

At least this lovely girl has found a loving, forever home. One thing about Bengals (or in our case, half-Bengals) is although they can be mischievous, they are also extremely loving and loyal.

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I learned a lot about Bengals just by watching taped episodes of My Cat From Hell. It seems like those cats are very active and need a lot of attention and stimulation. It might be a bigger commitment than you are willing to make. The reason that particular cat was on the show seemed to be that the cat did not have enough space to jump around on so the apartment was catified with cat steps and a cat track near the ceiling, which is great if you own your place but might be problematic if you rent. It was also recommended that the cat be walked outside on a leash. These cats are super active and have a lot more energy than the average cat.

I also need to mention that some breeders don’t take the animal back after a certain amount of time as they do not what that cat has been exposed to but you should check with your friend to see if that is in the paperwork he signed.

Last, perhaps there is a Bengal rescue group you could reach out to. I think Bengals have their own set of fans who really know the breed and can anticipate their needs owing to previous experience with them. Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I learned a lot about Bengals just by watching taped episodes of My Cat From Hell. It seems like those cats are very active and need a lot of attention and stimulation. It might be a bigger commitment than you are willing to make. The reason that particular cat was on the show seemed to be that the cat did not have enough space to jump around on so the apartment was catified with cat steps and a cat track near the ceiling, which is great if you own your place but might be problematic if you rent. It was also recommended that the cat be walked outside on a leash. These cats are super active and have a lot more energy than the average cat.

I also need to mention that some breeders don’t take the animal back after a certain amount of time as they do not what that cat has been exposed to but you should check with your friend to see if that is in the paperwork he signed.

Last, perhaps there is a Bengal rescue group you could reach out to. I think Bengals have their own set of fans who really know the breed and can anticipate their needs owing to previous experience with them. Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.
You'll find if you read the whole thread that everything is working out just fine. You've been watching Jackson Galaxy's videos - he has a lot of really good advice. Bengals are one of the cat breeds that are fairly easy to leash train :)

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't remember how many sutures she got because spay day was hectic and nerve wracking. She had a fever when I brought her in so they held her to see if it would lower before they operated, which it did. Afterwards, even though she was doped up, I didn't want to take her home on the subway as it was a long trip with two transfers. Turns out there was a major traffic snarl in the area and I had trouble finding a car. It was cold and I didn't want to wait on the street with her so I decided on the subway. It wasn't so bad. At one point I was sitting across from a cat lady. She she was dying to see the kitty but I didn't want to jostle Maple any more than she already had been, so, since the train was crowded and noisy I just mouthed "SPAY". She seemed to understand. I spent the rest of the ride pulling up pictures of Maple on my phone and holding them up for the woman to see. It was great.

I'm wondering if my friend met the breeder on the street because Bengals are illegal in New York?

Whatever the case, things are going well between Maple and me. She's eating well, demanding pets, and has the run of the apartment except for the kitchen (which needs more cat proofing) and bathroom (which needs a good non-chemical cleaning). The other morning I awoke to find her on my nightstand staring at me. Apparently she had decided that was a terrible place for a lamp and knocked it off. How that never woke me up I'll never know.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember how many sutures she got because spay day was hectic and nerve wracking. She had a fever when I brought her in so they held her to see if it would lower before they operated, which it did. Afterwards, even though she was doped up, I didn't want to take her home on the subway as it was a long trip with two transfers. Turns out there was a major traffic snarl in the area and I had trouble finding a car. It was cold and I didn't want to wait on the street with her so I decided on the subway. It wasn't so bad. At one point I was sitting across from a cat lady. She she was dying to see the kitty but I didn't want to jostle Maple any more than she already had been, so, since the train was crowded and noisy I just mouthed "SPAY". She seemed to understand. I spent the rest of the ride pulling up pictures of Maple on my phone and holding them up for the woman to see. It was great.

I'm wondering if my friend met the breeder on the street because Bengals are illegal in New York?

Whatever the case, things are going well between Maple and me. She's eating well, demanding pets, and has the run of the apartment except for the kitchen (which needs more cat proofing) and bathroom (which needs a good non-chemical cleaning). The other morning I awoke to find her on my nightstand staring at me. Apparently she had decided that was a terrible place for a lamp and knocked it off. How that never woke me up I'll never know.
*Ouch.* Well, Maple is a spotted tabby, right? RIGHT;)*That's the story and you're stickin' to it!* :insertevillaugh:
Sounds like a good ride home. I always love meeting new cat lovers.
Hoping your lamp is intact.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*Ouch.* Well, Maple is a spotted tabby, right? RIGHT;)*That's the story and you're stickin' to it!* :insertevillaugh:
Sounds like a good ride home. I always love meeting new cat lovers.
Hoping your lamp is intact.
The lamp is fine. The one in the living room did not fare so well.

When I take her to my vet I was thinking of just saying she's a Bengal mix but on second thought I will just say nothing. If anyone asks I'll say "Yeah, she looks like she has some Bengal in her."

I've been going to that office for fifteen years so I'm hoping they won't care. She still needs some vaccinations so I will find out soon. The office where she got her spay is too far. Not fair stress her with a long ride on top of having to go to the dreaded vet. I have a feeling she is one of those cats who REALLY REALLY hates vet visits.

I suppose we can rename this thread "Bengal Bliss" now!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lamp is fine. The one in the living room did not fare so well.

When I take her to my vet I was thinking of just saying she's a Bengal mix but on second thought I will just say nothing. If anyone asks I'll say "Yeah, she looks like she has some Bengal in her."

I've been going to that office for fifteen years so I'm hoping they won't care. She still needs some vaccinations so I will find out soon. The office where she got her spay is too far. Not fair stress her with a long ride on top of having to go to the dreaded vet. I have a feeling she is one of those cats who REALLY REALLY hates vet visits.

I suppose we can rename this thread "Bengal Bliss" now!
Sorry about the lamp! A cat friend on twitter has "hates lamps" after his name. So I guess Maple is not alone in her dislike of lamps. Our sweet angel Marley loved to sit under this one lamp that threw out quite a lot of warmth. No cat in the family has ever shown a dislike of them, however.
From what I read, Hawaii, which is not a good state for cats in general, is the only state that really comes down hard on the issue of Bengals. So yeah, "don't ask/don't tell" and she's lovely! Truly a beautiful tabby! :lol:

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a beautiful tabby who might have had some Bengal in her. She had what I can only describe as broken stripes, so some from angles they looked like spots although they didn't have the colored center like rosettes. She also had some of that vivid, glowing orange on her that Bengals have.

Bow that Maple spends half the day rolling around on her back I'm anxious for her belly fur to grow back in so I can see how it looks. It always takes forever to grow back once they're shaved.