Bengal cat has tummy rash, need advice please

luv my tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My friend's cat has that rash on his tummy...sorry photo isn't better. he keeps licking it a lot and it has been spreading. She can't afford vet...hoping we can get advice here, if there is something we can try at home.

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has a Bengal cat and can't afford a vet? Take him to the vet. This should be looked at. Don't home remedy if you don't know what the problem is. Sorry to sound harsh but I just get upset when people get a pet (especially such an expensive one) and then don't want to spend the money to properly care for them. I hope your friend does the right thing.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend's cat has that rash on his tummy...sorry photo isn't better. he keeps licking it a lot and it has been spreading. She can't afford vet...hoping we can get advice here, if there is something we can try at home.
Skin issues can be tough to diagnose as many look very similar to each other.  A vet visit now will likely be much less expensive later after it becomes infected etc.  Can you loan the owner enough money for a vet visit?  Or raising money through other friends?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv my tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my friend was given this bengal cat when it's owner (a close friend of hers) died!! WOW has this site changed!! i've never heard of such negativity!! it looks like some kind of allergic dermatitis, if we  could sooth it and stop it from itching, it might clear up - that avoids infection and big vet bill. i was just wondering what home remedy might work to help the soothing.

Perhaps i should have asked: Does anyone that has a positive comment, care to help with this?

I'm still asking.

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi luv my tabby, Pleas don't take this site to have changed for the sake of my comment. I didn't know the cat was a gift. But even as a gift I don't think people should have a pet if they can't afford to care for it. I'm sure there are many people who would love to have a Bengal who can take proper care of it.

I am truly sorry if this offends you, I just feel stongly about this and I hope there is room on this site also for a not popular response. It is not my goal to hurt anyone, just to help cats.

I'm not saying your friend is, but people can be selfish and impulsive when it comes to pets. My only reason to be active on this site is to help cats with people problems. I feel any cat who is sick or suffering from something should be seen by a proper vet. I don't think guessing what is wrong with him and trying things out is the way to go. I hope you can see this as I mean it, in the best interest of the cat. What if he breaks something or get really sick? Will she just have to let him suffer? As a fellow cat lover I hope you agree. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv my tabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well it would be nice if we all lived a logical life as u do, apparently. but emotions many times are not logical...if u want to pursue this issue, y don't u go to the humane societies that give animals to poor families? u know they cold just kill the animals instead, right? 

my friend was 77 rs old when she was given the cat..let's hope we are all so logical that we don't care about things we love, at that age.

Don't forget - life happens.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
L luv my tabby , it may be difficult to figure out what is different in the environment that could be causing an allergic reaction. It's also possible that the licking is a stress reaction and the rash is a result of the licking rather than the other way around. How long has kitty been in his/her new home? Is he/she settling in with your friend? Is she feeding the same food and using the same litter as before?

Sorry, we can't give medical advice here. Can you call the vet who was taking care of the cat for the original owner? Explain the situation and ask if there have been similar issues in the past. They should also be able to tell you what product(s) would be safe to use on the rash.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for your friend and her new kitty.