Behavior after neutering

amyjh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.  I have a 1yr old tabby.  He was neutered at 6 mos old. Before we had him fixed, he had a wonderful personality.  He was affectionate & very much a lap cat.  He was friendly with company and just all around sweet.  When I picked him up after his surgery, he was like a wild cat!  I could hardly carry his carrier.  Since then, he is extremely fearful.  Any little noise or movement will cause him to freak out and run away.  He no longer gets in any of our laps and always seems to be on high alert.  I hate that he is so fearful in his own home.  He still has sweet moments, but his personality completely changed.  I have had a cats my whole life and never have I seen such a reaction.  Does this happen often?  Any thoughts on how to help him not be so fearful?  Thank you!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is pretty rare!  Poor guy!  Have you tried Feliway diffusers or any sort of calming aid?  Did you speak to  your vet?  Does he have any specific safe places he goes when he is feeling fearful?  

I hope we can help you help him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyjh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've not tried any calming aids yet.  We took him back to the vet who did the neuter then took him to another vet.  Both said that sometimes loosing their testosterone will make a male fearful, but neither offered any ways to help him.  When someone knocks on the door, he will run behind the couch.  Sudden sounds or movements will cause him to run from the room to our bedroom.  When friends come over, he will hide in our bedroom.  He loves my husband, but if my husband has on a cap he will run.  It's so strange and so sad.  We have 2 cat trees, boxes and a catio on one of our windows for him and he uses all of them.  He just never seems to be able to relax poor guy.  I feel so sorry for him.  He does still play, and as I said, he has sweet moments from time to time they're just very short lived moments.

lietta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is probably  still traumatized and scared because of the surgical operation, which can be very painful, expecially when the anesthesia's effect fades and the wound is still open. My cat spent a time quite similar to yours. Just give him time, being understanding and patient. I am sure he will little by little forget the experience, and return sweet and affectionate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyjh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Lietta.  It helps to know others have experienced this and came out ok on the other side!

simonschuster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Any updates on how your little boy is doing now @amyjh? I came  here searching for this exact issue. I rescued 3 kittens, two females and a male. The females had no  personality changes post desexing, but my male went from a sweet, affectionate lap cat to a skittish, scared, hiding little fellow. He sleeps with his litter mates in several cat beds, and will come out of hiding come to eat, but will otherwise hide. He had his surgery 5 days ago. I'm wondering if he's still in pain? I'm giving him space, talking to him as much as I can, petting him when he is eating or sleeping and distracted so he still is receiving affection. I want my sweet, happy boy back! Any advise?